English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.FS-UAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   What does FS stand for in FS-UAE (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=98922)

spannernick 22 September 2019 14:58

What does FS stand for in FS-UAE

Is it the Developers name... FS-UAE stands for Frode Solheim - Universal Amiga Emulator, Ultimate Amiga Emulator or Ubiquitous Amiga Emulator ... Yes UAE has 3 names... lol, I have always called it Ultimate Amiga Emulator, cause it is the only one that stands out from the other Amiga emulators and works as it should... :) I love WinUAE,and Toni of course ... :)
First time I have seen someone name a program they made after themself... :)
Or it could be File System .. lol

I am using FS-UAE on Linux and WinUAE in Amiga Forever 7,I have the Premium Edition so using the roms and files from it on Linux.

Hi to all, have not been here in a while,Hope you all have a great Amigaday(We should have one,A day just for the Amiga.. :) )

FrodeSolheim 21 November 2019 20:42

I'm afraid FS does indeed represent my initials :blased (But to be fair, the name was given before I decided to publish this on the Internet (I originally created this to fulfill my own needs), and also, I'm not good at naming things :))

DamienD 21 November 2019 21:18

You could have said "File System" for the different OS's that it works on :p

Edit: hahahaha; oops... I see spannernick already suggested "File System"... great minds think alike and all that :cheese

Nightshft 21 November 2019 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by spannernick (Post 1347094)

Just read something similar in the thread about the Jonathan Potter interview. Actually the forerunner of DOpus was a single pane filemanager called JPDirUtil ;)

lesta_smsc 22 November 2019 02:43

Final Star...?

(A bit like Final Burn for MAME)

Tigerskunk 22 November 2019 08:11

Wow, nice to know... :)
And great thing to have.
Use it every day to develop my game.
Thanks Tony and Frode.

slaapliedje 27 November 2019 22:49

For Sure: Ultimate Amiga Emulator.

Right?

I was reading a non-related post on here, and it suddenly dawned on me why the FS, and I've been using it for quite a few years now! One of those 'oh, I kind of feel like a moron, if I'd actually thought of it as more than a 'this version is kept up to date, unlike the original UAE which I think was stuck at version 0.8.16 or something for a decade or more...

FrodeSolheim 28 November 2019 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by slaapliedje (Post 1361867)
For Sure: Ultimate Amiga Emulator.

I like it :D Also, the U has changed meaning up to several times over the years, so why not the F and S as well? :blased :cool

Locutus 28 November 2019 13:27

I seriously always thought it stood for 'Full Screen UAE' seeing it has this kiosk style UI.

Gordon 28 November 2019 13:47

FS beer is also great :great

walterg74 10 August 2020 19:14

Quote:

Guess you've never heard of stuff like

The numerous Peter Norton "xxxxx" or LINUX... (Linus Torvald's UNIX...).... :rolleyes

palaste 04 October 2020 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by walterg74 (Post 1419685)
Guess you've never heard of stuff like

The numerous Peter Norton "xxxxx" or LINUX... (Linus Torvald's UNIX...).... :rolleyes

To be fair, Linus Torvalds did not invent the name Linux. His original name for the system was Freax.

ztronzo 06 December 2020 14:56

FS-UAE = Friendly Structured - Universal Amiga Emulator

Bladeforce 30 December 2020 19:20

Flipping Seriously Underrated Amiga Emulator :D

Hedeon 30 December 2020 22:18

I remember the time when U stood for Unusable as in no machine fast enough to really emulate the Amiga.

spanner 15 September 2021 13:41

No good using my initials, everyone would think I am saying `Not Available`(NA)... :)

slaapliedje 27 September 2021 19:50

I actually believe the original meaning of UAE was Unix Amiga Emulator, as the first versions were released on Unix. Once it started getting ported everywhere, it because the other things people attributed to U. And then ultimately the maintenance was dropped and the improvements were all being done to the windows version, WinUAE... and then FS-UAE came along porting the core of that.

(at least I'm pretty sure that's the origin, right Frode?)

zipper 27 September 2021 19:55

I'd say you are right!

ztronzo 28 September 2021 13:10

Quote:

Not sure if this is a joke or real.. but back in my days we had all sorts of developer names used in software names such as: mIRC, Linux, Debian, Norton Commander, Norton Antivirus, McAfee, Kaspersky.. its not lazy naming, but mainly devs who want their software to be associated with quality and putting their name on the line to guarantee and approve it..

Doc Mindie 19 October 2021 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ztronzo (Post 1508915)
Not sure if this is a joke or real.. but back in my days we had all sorts of developer names used in software names such as: mIRC, Linux, Debian, Norton Commander, Norton Antivirus, McAfee, Kaspersky.. its not lazy naming, but mainly devs who want their software to be associated with quality and putting their name on the line to guarantee and approve it..

Can also add Borland to that list.

And Bill named his company after his penis......:crazy