English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.Wiki (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   wiki update (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=51405)

antonvaltaz 05 March 2010 23:32

wiki update

Hey, just a quick update - at RCK's request, I've restructured the entire EAB wiki to make it a bit cleaner and more organised. However lots of pages could still do with being updated - I plan to do as much as I can and Gilgamesh is also doing lots, at the moment focusing on the hardware. But the more the merrier... feel free to update anything you see which needs it or give us your suggestions, and help turn this into a really good resource!

BTW I liked Gilgamesh's idea of renaming the yellow link in the menu bar to Amiga FAQ/Wiki. What does anyone else think?

RCK 06 March 2010 00:15

Thanks a lot for all the work done there :)
The more people edit, the best our Amiga wiki FAQ will be good !

Navigation's bar link renamed.

gilgamesh 09 March 2010 10:47

Seems like Google doesn't pick up the wiki sites. That's a big handicap imo. What can we do? Perhaps starting a thread with links to the recently updatet sites?

prowler 09 March 2010 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilgamesh (Post 649983)
Seems like Google doesn't pick up the wiki sites. That's a big handicap imo. What can we do?

Try using metatags designed to match the search terms you would expect people to be using in order to find the information on each page.

gilgamesh 09 March 2010 11:52

Tags on Wikipages do exist? I'm not sure wether we're talking about the same thing. :confused

prowler 09 March 2010 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilgamesh (Post 650009)
Tags on Wikipages do exist? I'm not sure wether we're talking about the same thing. :confused

I am talking about metatags in the HTML code for each page. These are used as a kind of invisible index to help search engines find pages with content matching search terms.

For example, here is some sample code from Phase5's unofficial support pages on a1k.org:
<META
content="a1k.org,phase5,phase 5,support,driver,treiber,download,68060,68040,68030,68020,68010,68000,scsi,cgx,cybergraphics,download" name=Keywords>

This code would normally be placed within the <HEAD> </HEAD> tags.

gilgamesh 09 March 2010 12:10

Hey, good point. The tags seem to generated automatically by the wiki software based on the page name, so they are more or less ok. But I found

Code:

<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow" />
:shocked

TCD 09 March 2010 12:12

Which indeed might explain it :D
Might be a relict to minimise the traffic.

prowler 09 March 2010 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilgamesh (Post 650018)
Hey, good point. The tags seem to generated automatically by the wiki software based on the page name, so they are more or less ok. But I found

Code:

<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow" />
:shocked

That code is to prevent attempts by sites such as The Wayback Machine to salvage and index old versions of pages.

The Nature of Wiki is such that this is neither necessary nor welcomed.

TCD 09 March 2010 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by prowler (Post 650021)
That code is to prevent attempts by sites such as The Wayback Machine to salvage and index old versions of pages.

More important : Google won't index it either (or any other search engine)

prowler 09 March 2010 12:38

Hmm... Thanks, TCD. We've found the root of the problem! :)