English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   A600+Furia : WB ok, reset loops when opening anything else. Ok with NoFastMem (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=103299)

CDTV1991 28 July 2020 19:01

A600+Furia : WB ok, reset loops when opening anything else. Ok with NoFastMem

Recapped A600 + Furia Accelerator
1MB Chip RAM expansion
IDE to SD adapter
ClassicWB on a 16GB SD

I have a problem with the above setup, was previously working ok.

Workbench will load ok and I can open various workbench tools, prefs etc. ok. When I try and load a proper program, or WHDload game, or MOD file the machine will reset and then be stuck in a reset loop. It will then not reboot the SD for a few minutes with the power off

If I disable fast RAM (NoFastMem) then it will work as expected, but mega slow of course.
  • It will run floppy disk games fine, no problems
  • The SD card will work fine in WinUAE with similar config
  • I have run test in DIAGROM 1.1 and its passes tests ok
  • Tried another power supply, same.

So what could be up with it and why does turning the fast RAM off work?

turrican9 28 July 2020 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDTV1991 (Post 1416700)
Recapped A600 + Furia Accelerator
1MB Chip RAM expansion
IDE to SD adapter
ClassicWB on a 16GB SD

I have a problem with the above setup, was previously working ok.

Workbench will load ok and I can open various workbench tools, prefs etc. ok. When I try and load a proper program, or WHDload game, or MOD file the machine will reset and then be stuck in a reset loop. It will then not reboot the SD for a few minutes with the power off

If I disable fast RAM (NoFastMem) then it will work as expected, but mega slow of course.
  • It will run floppy disk games fine, no problems
  • The SD card will work fine in WinUAE with similar config
  • I have run test in DIAGROM 1.1 and its passes tests ok
  • Tried another power supply, same.

So what could be up with it and why does turning the fast RAM off work?

Do you have 'ide on' in the startup sequence for Furiatune? Ide on causes freezes and random crashes and will only work in some A600 (That's marked A300 on the boad) boards that has a gary rev 0.

CDTV1991 29 July 2020 10:16

Thanks. I will check this later today.

If that is the case, I wonder why the NoFastMem stops it from crashing.

CDTV1991 29 July 2020 10:18

It's an A600 rev 1.5 board

Gribnitz 29 July 2020 15:23

Was an A600 NTSC version made? I don't think I have ever come across one.

CDTV1991 29 July 2020 19:22

Furiatune shows

Fpu on
Cache on
IDE speedup off
Map ROM off

And the problem still happens

When it resets and gets stuck in a reset loop it won't boot to workbench again for a minute with the power off

duga 29 July 2020 21:19

Try set Cache to off.

turrican9 30 July 2020 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDTV1991 (Post 1416958)
Furiatune shows

Fpu on
Cache on
IDE speedup off
Map ROM off

And the problem still happens

When it resets and gets stuck in a reset loop it won't boot to workbench again for a minute with the power off

Do you have any way of testing the Furia on another A600 board just to confirm it is still fine?

Since your A600 is working just fine without the Furia maybe try to clean the pins of the 68000 CPU with some isoprop. Then re-seat the Furia

Torti-the-Smurf 30 July 2020 16:05

Try it without the Workench - just to be sure.

1) Turn on the A600 and hold both Mouse buttons until you get the "Early Startup Screen" .

2) Choose the option "boot with no startup-sequence"

3) type into the CLI

FuriaTune Cache On ShadowRom AddMem

4) make a assigns like

assign Env: ram:

that should be enough for testing

5) now try stuff *fingers cross*

try native DOS stuff first , like some game that has a native install like Lionheart for example.

When that works... try WHDload.

and if that all works there is something in youre Workbench Startup-Sequence that causes the FastMem Problems/reboots loops. Maybe a tool/utility or a RomUpdate.

(what worbench are you using ?)

Anyway, try it without the workbench, just to be sure it. To isolate/find the problem.

Greetings, Torti

Boboo_SK 31 July 2020 10:38

@CDTV1991
My recommendation->
Select the jumper RAMWAIT to the open position, in the botom left corner.

Good luck...

CDTV1991 31 July 2020 20:55

Thanks for the advice so far, appreciated. I am using a ClassicWB pack

I tried the no startup sequence method and managed to open Dopus and PPaint ok, but when I try more programs after than it will report an error then reset and get stuck in the reset loop, or just reset.

After that I need to turn it off and leave it off for a few minutes or else it will still be stuck in a reset loop.

I have also tried the No CPU cache and RAM jumper suggestions. Same problems unfortunately.

I have cleaned the CPU and Furia connection too.

Quite puzzling

Torti-the-Smurf 31 July 2020 21:26

Hmmm.
Ok, that´s a tuff one.
Please try to disconnect the CF Reader and use Floppies or a Gotek. (or another CF/SD reader and card if you have one)

You see, The Furia is quiet stubborn with some Reader/Card combinations so you have to see if this is the cause of the problem.
I had once a CF CardReader and CF Card that did the same thing to my setup.
(as you said, a few things work, then error and endless loops)

Thats why i suggest this.

Please try the methode above, just to be sure; so you can find the root of the problem more easily.

Torti-the-Smurf 31 July 2020 21:44

1 Attachment(s)
Just to rule it out that is something wrong with youre Fast-Ram
(i am pretty sure it has something to do with youre reader/card combi)

But, just in case. Use SysTest and run the Memory test. Let it run for a while.

CDTV1991 31 July 2020 22:06

Thanks for the ongoing advice

No change to the SD card since it worked last and it ran well for a year before, with light use. I gave up on CF cards with the Furia very soon after I had it.

It can boot games from floppies ok

Workbench won't boot without the Furia, perhaps this version of ClassicWB needs an 020 or something?

It is looking very likely that this is a RAM problem. I can still load programs and games (slowly) with the NoFastMem active.

When I start workbench and start opening up various workbench items, it is using up RAM and the more I do the closer to crashing it gets. When I try and open a larger program or game it will crash straight away, then get stuck in the reset loop

So its got to be a RAM, but if the Chip RAM is on the main board and on the expansion card (so 2MB total) and the 8MB is on the Furia, where is the problem? Is RAM ever a problem on Furias?

I will give the SysTest a try tomorrow. Will transfer it over via WinUAE.

r.cade 31 July 2020 22:13

Doesn't the Furia have more than 8M, like 9.5M or something? I seem to recall you could enable or disable that extra bit and I think my machine had an issue with it.

CDTV1991 01 August 2020 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by r.cade (Post 1417526)
Doesn't the Furia have more than 8M, like 9.5M or something? I seem to recall you could enable or disable that extra bit and I think my machine had an issue with it.

Yes, add 1.5mb with the addmem command, seems to work ok, but didn't use (understand) before.

CDTV1991 01 August 2020 11:41

Systest reports am error when testing the 8.0mb fast RAM and the same error on the 1.5mb slow RAM.

So does this suggest that it's a Furia hardware problem or could it be something else?

If it is a Furia hardware problem is the likely to be repairable?

The CPU part of the Furia seems to be working fine

CDTV1991 01 August 2020 11:43

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 68341

Here's the error message on the 8.0mb

Torti-the-Smurf 01 August 2020 15:20

:shocked Oh sh.t :shocked

Well, at least you know whats the problem now.
i´m sorry for you. please get a refund.

The Furia is really awesome. I love that little beast.

I mean, my Amiga boots in 2 seconds (with PFS) and with PeterK´s Icon Library its so Snappy, that´s crazy. :crazy

My Dream 16-Bit Amiga :spin

CDTV1991 01 August 2020 17:24

If this is a RAM issue on the Furia board, then I have lots of questions to work out what I do next:
  • If the error is detected in the RAM expansion on the Furia, then would it DEFINITELY be a Furia hardware fault or could it be something on the Amiga mainboard that is not working properly?
  • Could a defective connection between the Furia and the 68000 CPU cause this sort of problem?
  • Would this problem be a RAM chip on the Furia board and could that be fixed by a new RAM chip?
  • Would Lotharek do repairs? (I've sent an email)
  • Could a Furia firmware patch solve this?
  • and lastly, what could I do with a half working Furia? Its still got all the speed boost, but not the RAM expansion

If anyone can help with any of these questions then it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks