English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Games (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Evil's Doom (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=75169)

meynaf 31 January 2017 19:20

Normally this game should run on stock A1200 so if it needs 32mb of fast there's something wrong with the package !

DamienD 31 January 2017 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by meynaf (Post 1138187)
Normally this game should run on stock A1200 so if it needs 32mb of fast there's something wrong with the package !

Yeah, sounds like it.

I didn't create the package though; dlfrsilver did... Maybe he knows why it needs sooooo much Fast RAM?

DamienD 31 January 2017 19:57

Just tested and it does indeed work with only 2MB Chip ;)

DamienD 01 February 2017 16:37

I've just updated the .HDF to display the "EvilsDoomFAQ.txt" file via PPMore before starting the game ;)

apex 02 March 2017 12:49

Is the 1.9 working? I cannot save, Amiga freeze.

Muadib 21 September 2019 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 977011)
yes it works for me, perfectly :)

Hi, I just discovered this amazing RPG but I can't make it to Save a game. It just sits there with the screen showing the two swords and doing nothing. No keys respond to it, except ofc Ctrl Amiga Amiga. :banghead

Do you know how I can fix this, please?

Thanks!

My system: A1200 + 060@50 + 256MB RAM + IndivisionMK2cr + ROM 3.1

Solo Kazuki 21 September 2019 11:32

Which version of game You play? Do You have RealSave/Save/ directory? Can You do screenshot or photo (if on real hardware)?

Muadib 21 September 2019 17:45

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki (Post 1346883)
Which version of game You play? Do You have RealSave/Save/ directory? Can You do screenshot or photo (if on real hardware)?

Hi Solo,

• The version I play is the one by HOBRING (1.8), which can be found here
  • Yes, the RelSave/Save directory does exist and is assigned during launch of the game. I also tried other assignments but they all resulted in the game crashing from the beginning.
  • Of course, here is a screenshot from UAE, which has same behaviour as on the real Amiga:

http://eab.abime.net/attachment.php?...1&d=1569080510

Upon pressing ENTER to save the game hangs into this screen:

http://eab.abime.net/attachment.php?...1&d=1569080618

Solo Kazuki 22 September 2019 16:06

Try another version, e.g. from Grandis (EAB server). Here's v1.9 with Meynaf patch.

Muadib 22 September 2019 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki (Post 1347108)
Try another version, e.g. from Grandis (EAB server). Here's v1.9 with Meynaf patch.

I tried it and the behaviour is exactly the same... :rolleyes

Note: I am trying to save the game at the beginning, before I enter any other location.

meynaf 23 September 2019 10:01

Are you 100% sure the game's directory isn't write protected in some way ?

Try doing this from your game dir :
protect all #? +rwed

Also make sure of the way it is launched (with a script in the game's dir itself) :
Code:

assign Evil: ""
assign Saga: RealSave
EVIL:prg/int.dat

If everything else fails, try copying the game to RAM: (you seem to have more than enough ram to do that) and try to save from there. I tried it with my version and it works fine.
If it doesn't work, there is something wrong with your machine.
If it works, there is something wrong with your hd partition.
Or so I think :p

Solo Kazuki 23 September 2019 11:01

What FS is on partition You run Evil's Doom? If PFS try some other filesystem, because PFS could be wrong handled by some games.

Muadib 23 September 2019 19:18

Thanks for your help, guys!
Ok, let's see...

Quote:

Originally Posted by meynaf (Post 1347230)
Are you 100% sure the game's directory isn't write protected in some way ?

protect all #? +rwed

Also make sure of the way it is launched (with a script in the game's dir itself) :
Code:

If everything else fails, try copying the game to RAM: (you seem to have more than enough ram to do that) and try to save from there. I tried it with my version and it works fine.
If it doesn't work, there is something wrong with your machine.
If it works, there is something wrong with your hd partition.
Or so I think :p

@Meynaf, I tried everything you instructed, but to no avail. The thing is, the game has EXACTLY the same behaviour on WinUAE, too! All other games in the partition can save just fine...

@Solo Kazuki, I use SFS on this one and most of my partitions, PFS on one of them. It could be it, but it doesn't explain why it doesn't save while everything is on RAM.

What ROM and Workbench do you guys run on?
I have 3.9 installed on 3.1 ROMS.

UPDATE: As I observed just now, the game does not crash. The music plays normally yet the only keys that are responsive are the main keyboard's PLUS and MINUS signs that increase and decrease the music's volume. Other than that, it just keeps showing the same: the 2 swords as the last picture I have attached...

DamienD 23 September 2019 20:21

I'd love to test out "Saving" in WinUAE but...

The "GameKeys.readme" says the following:

Code:

-ingame dungeon keys:
                SPACE        - change hi/low resolution
                M        - look at magic map (if cast)
                R        - rest party
                V        - version/party treasure
                L        - load game
                S        - save game
                <-        - scroll text up
                F        - toggle torch flickering on/off
                HELP        - examine picked item
                F5        - toggle music / SFX quality

-numeric keyboard:
                1,2,3        - cast stored spells
                4        - move left
                5        - move back
                6        - move right
                7        - turn left
                8        - move forvard
                9        - turn right

- casting spells:        see file x/runecasting.iff

I can't find the closest dungeon to try this :blased

Muadib 23 September 2019 20:28

@Damien on the first playable screen press the second icon from the right, that looks like two crossed swords on a shield. Then select a character, and the SAVE and LOAD icons will appear.

midwan 23 September 2019 20:28

I also have the same exact problem when trying to save the game, as described by Muadib.

I tested it in WinUAE 4.2.1, with a cloned config of my real A4000D (040, Kick 3.1.4, vanilla 3.1.4 Workbench installation). I can post the config file also if it helps.

I extracted the latest 1.9 version to a directory, and used that as a virtual 2nd drive in WinUAE (the 1st drive has the 3.1.4 system it boots from). The directory is of course, read/write.

I could get up to the point of saving the game, but right after typing the Save game title and hitting enter, the screen fades to black but doesn't come back afterwards (only the two swords remain visible, as in the screenshot above).

I also tested the version from thecompany.pl, which worked normally with saving the game! Not sure what's different there, as it's all packed in an EXE file (game, emulator and config).

I couldn't test it on my real 060 A4000, as it hung much earlier than that. Right after the title screen, I get a black screen and it doesn't continue any further.

DamienD 23 September 2019 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muadib (Post 1347342)
@Damien on the first playable screen press the second icon from the right, that looks like two crossed swords on a shield. Then select a character, and the SAVE and LOAD icons will appear.

Thanks ;)

Just tested and the same issue as you...

I don't see any hard drive "write" activity. If I reset nothing has been saved.

Do you need to be in a dungeon though as the "GameKeys.readme" suggests? Or am I reading this wrong?

DamienD 23 September 2019 20:40

These are definitely there:

Code:

Quote:

Originally Posted by meynaf (Post 1347230)

protect all #? +rwed

Tried doing just to be sure, but the same issue...

meynaf 23 September 2019 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muadib (Post 1347332)
@Meynaf, I tried everything you instructed, but to no avail. The thing is, the game has EXACTLY the same behaviour on WinUAE, too! All other games in the partition can save just fine...

Perhaps it doesn't like 68060 (maybe even 68040). What happens when you setup winuae for 68030 ?

Quote:

@Solo Kazuki, I use SFS on this one and most of my partitions, PFS on one of them. It could be it, but it doesn't explain why it doesn't save while everything is on RAM.

Then it's not fs problem. For me it saves fine when i do it to RAM.
It might well be a bad crack. My patch has fully cracked exe, but maybe it wasn't applied properly and/or on the right version of the game.

Quote:

What ROM and Workbench do you guys run on?
I have 3.9 installed on 3.1 ROMS.

I use 3.0 (the only safe way, haha :p).

Quote:

UPDATE: As I observed just now, the game does not crash. The music plays normally yet the only keys that are responsive are the main keyboard's PLUS and MINUS signs that increase and decrease the music's volume. Other than that, it just keeps showing the same: the 2 swords as the last picture I have attached...

The game doesn't crash ? What was that "HALT3" indicated by winuae then ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muadib (Post 1347342)

Then select SAVE, then select the slot to save to, then enter the save game name, then it should save ok...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1347345)
Do you need to be in a dungeon though as the "GameKeys.readme" suggests? Or am I reading this wrong?

You don't need to access a dungeon to save the game. You can try this right out from start (but oddly, the game will ask you to choose a character before as this is in the "camp" option).

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1347348)
Tried doing just to be sure, but the same issue...

It might be something to do with the save dir. Maybe it doesn't work when empty, i'll do more tests.

DamienD 23 September 2019 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwan (Post 1347343)
I also tested the version from thecompany.pl, which worked normally with saving the game! Not sure what's different there, as it's all packed in an EXE file (game, emulator and config).

I'm not saying this has anything to do with the issue; but "the company.pl" archive is using v1.8: https://thecompany.pl/game/Evil's+Doom+1.8