English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Bad/Meh Amiga ports of good computer/console/arcade games that might need a Remake (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=107772)

saimon69 27 July 2021 19:48

Bad/Meh Amiga ports of good computer/console/arcade games that might need a Remake

I Leave this list here for posterity and hoping someone can remake one of those as a hobby undertaking (since those are ports i really doubt there will be any money to make) plus bad is subjective i suppose - feel free to add more games that i might have forgot, and i can help for some assets like remade music if needed

- Bomb Jack
[remake done by mcGeezer as Bomb Jack Beer Edition]
- Bubble Bobble
[remake done by Pink/Abyss as Tiny Bobble]
- Wonder Boy in Monster Land
[a refactor was started by Earok]
- Dragon Spirit
[a refactor was started by Earok]
- Castlevania
- Rolling Thunder
- Bionic Commando
- Dinasty Wars
- Black Tiger
[Chadderack is looking on it, no promises though]
- Ghouls'n'Ghosts
- Tiger Road
- Power Drift
- Galaxy Force
- Turbo Out Run
- Chase HQ
- Out Run
[one remake and one refactor on STE both in progress]
- Robocop
[remake by Seko in progress]
- Cisco Heat
- Shinobi
- Darius
- Alien Syndrome
- ESWAT
- L.E.D. Storm
- Super C
- Flyin' Shark
- Gemini Wing
- Forgotten Worlds (added by kremiso)
- New Zealand Story (added by jotd)
- Street Fighter I (added by Demoniac)
- Street Fighter 2
- Strider (added by Demoniac)
- UN Squadron (added by Demoniac)
- Final Fight
[AGA version started but unfinished ]
- Vindicators (added by Gimbal)
- Xybots
- Microprose Soccer (added by Etze)
- Side Arms (added by Kremiso)
- Joe & Mac Caveman Ninja (added ky d4rk3lf)
- Battletoads (added by demoniac)
- Ninja Gaiden 2
- TMNT coin op (added by d4rk3lf)
- TMNT console game
- Double Dragon I
[lot of attempts but so far none proceeding]
- Thunder Blade (added by demoniac)
- Soldier of Light AKa Xain'D'Sleena (added by Cobe)

Cammy 28 July 2021 03:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by saimon69 (Post 1498154)
hoping someone can remake one of those as a hobby undertaking (since those are ports i really doubt there will be any money to make)

I am so thankful for all the amazing ports people have made for us in recent years, and I do think it's a shame they go unrewarded for it. In many cases they are putting in just as much effort as anyone producing new commercial Amiga games, but they can't sell them. I believe they deserve something for their hard work, and I have been working on a plan together with some amazing people in the Amiga community to encourage development of games like this and reward the people involved.

I just hope anyone thinking about it can wait until the end of the month to begin.

saimon69 28 July 2021 07:59

Well i thought on create a bounty system like the AROS one for ports and remakes but am honestly not that good on handling money and balances :/

dlfrsilver 28 July 2021 08:32

New zealand story would be cool in AGA. The game should be ported from the x68000 version, graphics easy to convert in IFF format, and the main program too :)

kremiso 28 July 2021 09:09

Forgotten Worlds AGA, finally with ALL the levels

i'm nut for that game :spin

gimbal 28 July 2021 12:12

I second Wonderboy. I do love that game (especially because it was one of the first games I played on the Amiga) but I also dislike it so, so much... Bad framerate, sluggish gameplay, weird jumping animation, time passes way too fast and the long loading times make no sense for a game like this. And some of the bosses were gutted pretty bad.

rothers 28 July 2021 14:22

You could make an arcade perfect Wonderboy in Amos or Blitz I'd have thought. Nothing complex about that game at all.

saimon69 28 July 2021 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimbal (Post 1498276)
I second Wonderboy. I do love that game (especially because it was one of the first games I played on the Amiga) but I also dislike it so, so much... Bad framerate, sluggish gameplay, weird jumping animation, time passes way too fast and the long loading times make no sense for a game like this. And some of the bosses were gutted pretty bad.

Wonder if a remake with Scorpion Engine is feasible feature-wise

saimon69 28 July 2021 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by kremiso (Post 1498250)

AND that game (on amiga at least) is nuts! Controls are a bit weird i remember but technically was decent despite me not being a fan of the colors in level 1 - but 'i'll finish him today for sure ;) ' and btw is a spiritual sequel to Side Arms and action is in the same universe
[and to make sure i did check and in the final level of the arcade some of Side Arms first stage enemy appears]

pink^abyss 28 July 2021 17:55

A proper Giana Sisters version with PreTracker music & better gfx would be something (in 32 colors and lets say in 64kb for a mini challenge). With graphics by Arne :)

http://androidarts.com/Amiga/gianaspritepo5.gif

saimon69 28 July 2021 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by pink^abyss (Post 1498336)
A proper Giana Sisters version with PreTracker music & better gfx would be something (in 32 colors and lets say in 64kb for a mini challenge). With graphics by Arne :)

http://androidarts.com/Amiga/gianaspritepo5.gif

Well we had the special edition with the graphics by Tsak and if someone can hack the music could help

Retro1234 28 July 2021 18:52

earok's Scorpion engine would probably be capable of doing quite a lot of these.

demoniac 28 July 2021 19:52

One could just go down the Capcom/U.S. Gold/Tierex game lists. Here are some that comes to mind:

Dynasty Wars
Street Fighter
Strider
Strider II
U.N. Squadron

Tsak 28 July 2021 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by saimon69 (Post 1498341)
Well we had the special edition with the graphics by Tsak and if someone can hack the music could help

I'd argue that Arne's designs showcase much more character and have a very contemporary aura and style (plus they're all originals) hense I'd personally love to see a new remake using them :)
Paired with the fact that these can be animated pretty nicely (free from the frame limitations we had to follow due to the hack), plus the new engine allowing for much better backdrops and variety and I can already imagine a far superior result.

The only problem then is that after all the above it would probably be a crime to leave the gameplay unattended :D

Havie 28 July 2021 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by kremiso (Post 1498250)

Still need to sort out the control method though - perhaps use of mouse and keyboard?

Havie 28 July 2021 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by rothers (Post 1498300)
You could make an arcade perfect Wonderboy in Amos or Blitz I'd have thought. Nothing complex about that game at all.

Don't say things like that - I get easily sucked in (as in Space Invaders)! Have a game of my own to work on...

saimon69 28 July 2021 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by demoniac (Post 1498358)
One could just go down the Capcom/U.S. Gold/Tierex game lists. Here are some that comes to mind:

Dynasty Wars
Street Fighter
Strider
Strider II
U.N. Squadron

How did i forgot the unholy works of Tiertex?
Especially Strider and Street Fighter, source of HUGE disappointment
(btw once again i remind how SF1 was object of an April Fool in 1989 in Italy where a remake for US supposedly made by Discovery Software was announced)

rothers 28 July 2021 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Havie (Post 1498363)
Don't say things like that - I get easily sucked in (as in Space Invaders)! Have a game of my own to work on...

AMOS does have issues with scrolling engines from what I remember, they are tricky to get working perfectly.

Blitz might be better here.

Retro1234 28 July 2021 23:43

I've uploaded code in the past of hardware tile scrolling in both Blitz and Amos and there's basically no difference.

I basically wrote it in Amos and pasted it into Blitz with minor syntax Changes.

Blitz is definitely better at Blitting Bobs but I always thought I could beat it with a custom routine in Amos.

But there both great:great

If you want to code it yourself obviously 8 way tile scrolling is the holly grail.

kremiso 29 July 2021 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by saimon69 (Post 1498331)
AND that game (on amiga at least) is nuts! Controls are a bit weird i remember but technically was decent despite me not being a fan of the colors in level 1 - but 'i'll finish him today for sure ;) ' and btw is a spiritual sequel to Side Arms and action is in the same universe
[and to make sure i did check and in the final level of the arcade some of Side Arms first stage enemy appears]

i would like to listen your personal approach to the audio side of the game ;)
imo the existent tunes are already good, half work already done

Quote:

Originally Posted by Havie (Post 1498362)
Still need to sort out the control method though - perhaps use of mouse and keyboard?

a multi-set would be great
personally, my fave set would be joystick with two buttons (clockwise and anticlockwise rotation), with autofire enabled;
or the Megadrive setting, with 3 buttons

on emulation, i would set a dpad for the movement and an analog stick for the 360 shooting