English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.ClassicWB (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   ClassicWB Lite problem (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=46912)

fitzsteve 21 August 2009 20:17

ClassicWB Lite problem

Ok, so I deceided to change from Workbench full to CWBLite until I get a memory upgrade for my A1200.

I seem to have a problem. I backed up and deleted all the files on my hard drive main partition in Winuae (from the full install) and then copied the files over from my winuae install of CWBLite. I done this in Dopus.

I put the hard drive back into my Amiga and it boots fine, it seems funcional, I ran some games and paint, etc.

However the files shortcuts along the bottom are missing, like my files, demo's, etc. Also if I boot with the right mouse button to get the multiboot menu there is no 'runlist' I click runlist and the menu vanishes but no runlist appears. At this point there is nothing I can do but swicth off.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve.

Bloodwych 21 August 2009 20:25

Sounds like some files are missing or corrupt.

The files at the bottom are from the .backdropfile in the root directoy e.g SYS:.backdrop

Check that it's present.

Runlist script is in the SYS:S directory. There should be a file called Runlist-Startup. That file calls another one in the SYS:Expansion/BMenu/Menus/Runlist using C:WBRun.

Check all these files are present.

fitzsteve 21 August 2009 20:43

Hi, all those files were present, I even copied them accross again from my CF card and it hasen't helped.

Strange thing happens though, the CF card I am using is the one I setup Classic workbench on yesterday, when that card is inserted all the shortcuts appear on the desktop along with another set of ram, clear ram, etc.

I then thought it could be that in winuae my main drive was called system and on the amiga its called workbench, I tried renaming it but that dosent help.

I'm stumped.

Bloodwych 21 August 2009 21:07

The shortcuts appear because the CF card has a .backdrop file on it, which Workbench uses to leave out files on the Desktop. It's just a text file with paths of icons to leave out.

The name of the partition you see on the Workbech shouldn't matter, eg System or Workbench, just the device name has to be DH0:

It is confusing, especially since you had the FULL working fine on it?

fitzsteve 21 August 2009 21:12

I decided to delete it all and copy it over again in winuae, everything seems fine now. There must have been corrupt files as you originally suggested.

I don't think this usb-ide adapter I have is very reliable, it was only a few quid on ebay :bash

Anyway, thanks again! :great

Steve.

Bloodwych 21 August 2009 21:17

Oh cool! :D

How big was the partition(s) again that you are using? They were under 4GB weren't they?

fitzsteve 21 August 2009 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodwych (Post 586375)
Oh cool! :D

How big was the partition(s) again that you are using? They were under 4GB weren't they?

Yeah 2 x 2gb partitions.

Thanks again for your help.

Bloodwych 21 August 2009 21:37

Just to be sure, I think you can use Check4GB to make sure you are not hitting any 4GB limits without a patch or IDEfix:

http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/check4gb

Sometimes it's hard to tell until you start filling up the partitions.

If you have no further issues with corruption then everything else should be fine.

EDIT: I've had corruption issues with USB hard drive converters on PC external backup drives, so it was probably that as you said. They are a little flaky with certain motherboards.

Bloodwych 21 August 2009 22:12

Oh yeah, and by the way, I love your avatar!!!

fitzsteve 21 August 2009 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodwych (Post 586399)
Oh yeah, and by the way, I love your avatar!!!

Thanks, her name is Lela (named after the girl from futurama) we had her since she was born and one eye did not open at first!

The Guinea behind her is Rocky, I think you can tell by his name why!

By the way I am all up and running now, the Amiga is fine!

Thanks again! :bowdown

Bloodwych 21 August 2009 23:37

They're cute. Great to hear. :)