English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   AmigaOS 3.2 released! (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=106964)

SpeedGeek 07 August 2023 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Richter (Post 1634610)
I only read posts that the board is not running stable in certain combinations. The components used on the board might be the same types, but the board did not qualify for 50MHz at GVP, as it was not sold as 50Mhz. This is not about the chip types put on the board, this is about the chip tolerances and variations that were already at the edge at 40Mhz, and are now kicking in.

In case you do not understand, the worst thing that can happen if expansion does not do its job is that expansions are not recognized. It does not explain instabilities as soon as the Os is running and expansion has done its job (or not). At that point, expansion is "out". This is not a software issue you are seeing here.

You read them wrong. It is running stable under other AmigaOS combinations but not with a Kickstart 3.2 ROM. Obviously, you will not understand what you can not understand so there is no point in continuing the hardware topic any longer.

He reported strange Auto-Config conflicts and sizing errors with Kickstart 3.2 but the other Kickstart versions worked just fine.

SpeedGeek 07 August 2023 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rotzloeffel (Post 1634672)
You are right, but you an not make the Ram resident anymore, system Crashes, that worked with 3.1 :)

My DKB2632 tool had a resident memory option which worked under OS2.x but not OS3.x. It seems these resident memory tools can potentially fail with every update to the exec.library.

mahen 13 September 2023 09:35

Hi everyone !
I finally took the plunge and updated my 3.2.1 install to 3.2.2.1 with 3.2.2 ROMs.
The update went fine (contrary to my previous attempt with custom 3.2.1 ROMs).

Still have an issue though :
textedit s:startup-sequence only shows the first 10 lines.
Also, for some reason, deficons doesn't see startup-sequence as a text file / script, but does see my startup-sequence backup as one (and the other scripts in S:). And it does show the content of my backup SS properly.

Thank you for your help and much appreciated work ! :)
Cheers ! :-)

EDIT : after adding a couple of lines in the SS (with ed), now TextEdit seems its entire content. Still, this is not very reassuring ;-) And now, deficons does detect its filetype properly. Strange.

Steady 18 September 2023 06:15

@torturedutopian:

It seems to me that you SS got corrupted and a non-ascii character was present after the first 10 lines. This would cause both symptoms that you saw, though it appears to be fixed now.

mahen 18 September 2023 10:29

Possible ! Although it was the default SS from 3.2.2.1...

bdb 24 September 2023 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by torturedutopian (Post 1642760)
Possible ! Although it was the default SS from 3.2.2.1...

I had 2 years of CS classes in high school (IBM 1130) and at university (1975) my first programming class was on a rebranded Xerox Sigma 7 (Samsung SDS). Naturally, at the low course levels, punch cards were used -- you punched them, then handed them to the CS person on duty in the basement, and later retrieved your cards and program output. On one particular failure, either the card reader, or the computer itself, had flipped a bit in one of the codes and caused the error.

A re-run of the cards worked the way it should have; needless to say, sh:bangheadt happens.

boemann 28 September 2023 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by torturedutopian (Post 1641739)
Hi everyone !
I finally took the plunge and updated my 3.2.1 install to 3.2.2.1 with 3.2.2 ROMs.
The update went fine (contrary to my previous attempt with custom 3.2.1 ROMs).

Still have an issue though :
textedit s:startup-sequence only shows the first 10 lines.
Also, for some reason, deficons doesn't see startup-sequence as a text file / script, but does see my startup-sequence backup as one (and the other scripts in S:). And it does show the content of my backup SS properly.

Thank you for your help and much appreciated work ! :)
Cheers ! :-)

EDIT : after adding a couple of lines in the SS (with ed), now TextEdit seems its entire content. Still, this is not very reassuring ;-) And now, deficons does detect its filetype properly. Strange.

This behaviour is explainable. And not so scary. In an attempt to make the startup time of larger files faster the syntax highlighting is now done in a seperate task. As soon as it has highlighted past the visible portion it will render and continue highlighting the rest of the document in the background. The doucment is there and as you see if you edit it or scroll around in it it will be rendered.

I think your problem is tied to the fact that deficons doesn't detect it as a script. This couple with a possible bug in TextEdit that may not cause the render if the highlighting fails. See if the startup-sequence has somehow lost its script flag (eg use the workbench information window)

kamelito 12 November 2023 20:45

@Boemann, FYI, the recoverable alerts with 47.111 and Apollo V4 are not reproducible when I use Thor’s poolmem utility.