English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Coders. Contest (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Discussion: Rygar AGA Edition (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=93545)

mcgeezer 26 October 2019 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n (Post 1354365)

Out of interest , how close do you reckon you could get to the arcade ?

Probably perfect on an A500.... bit of a job though.

VincentGR 26 October 2019 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n (Post 1354365)
A proper shinobi port would be a dream Especially utilising AGA.

Out of interest , how close do you reckon you could get to the arcade ?

Oh Shinobi deserves that indeed.

malko 27 October 2019 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgeezer (Post 1354359)
[...] If not then... I'll probably port Shinobi for Damien. :D

+1, +1 ! :p

Wonderboy is cool, but so is Shinobi ;)

DamienD 27 October 2019 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgeezer (Post 1354359)
If not then... I'll probably port Shinobi for Damien. :D

:shocked

I fear it will be a lot of work, Shinobi is a very intricate game :agree

...but don't do it for me my friend; only do it if you want to.

I'm very happy just playing via MAME; but yes the Amiga needs a good version, especially after the official abomination :scream

For me it's one of, if not the worst ports every to the Amiga.

hexaae 27 October 2019 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1354502)
I'm very happy just playing via MAME; but yes the Amiga needs a good version, especially after the official abomination :scream

For me it's one of, if not the worst ports every to the Amiga.

OMG, my brain totally removed it. Looks like a horrible PC CGA hand-drawn conversion. Amiga's Shadow Dancer was mediocre too.
I still play Shinobi on MAME... "Simple" but catchy gameplay in the good old days

DamienD 27 October 2019 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by hexaae (Post 1354510)
OMG, my brain totally removed it. Looks like a horrible PC CGA hand-drawn conversion.

I know, sooooo bad it's not funny :scream

Quote:

Amiga's Shadow Dancer was mediocre too.

In fairness; Shadow Dancer on the Amiga was a pretty good port IMHO :agree

Ok, not arcade perfect but...

Quote:

I still play Shinobi on MAME... "Simple" but catchy gameplay in the good old days

Yup, my favourite arcade game of all time as mentioned in this thread: Shinobi Boss Level 5... just oozes class and is so replayable time and time again.

Shatterhand 27 October 2019 16:42

Shadow Dancer on amiga was great. I would be really amazed to see someone doing a better job on an OCS system with 512kb Ram. I have a friend who could finish the arcade version without continues (an impressive feat), and when I showed him the Amiga version he was truly impressed with it. He obviously complained about the 1 button controller, but he said apart of this, a lower framerate and obvious less colors, the port was incredibly accurate with very few different stuff. He also said "The music also is completely different, but its actually a lot better on the Amiga version".

Shinobi in the other hand.... every tinme I play it, I feel it's a playable game, but its kinda slow and jerky, the scrolling is kinda messy but, mostly important, it looks SO DAMN HIDEOUS. The artist there did a really lousy job. I really wonder why they used just 2 colors for the parallax background... was it to get more speed? Maybe the back playfield is using just 1 bitplane?

If Amiga Shinobi ran at a better speed and had better graphics it would already be pretty solid IMO.

VincentGR 27 October 2019 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by damiend (Post 1354502)
:shocked
...but don't do it for me my friend; only do it if you want to.

I agree with you as much as I want to see it :)

Or he can port something new for the Amiga like Sunset Riders or Chelnov :D:D:D

Shatterhand 27 October 2019 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by VincentGR (Post 1354536)
Sunset Riders

I always thought that, with the right cuts, this could be done on an OCS machine. The amount of stuff moving on screen could be hard to handle, and then the Horse level would probably be another nightmare though.

It's a *great* game. Would be a great addition for the Amiga library

VincentGR 27 October 2019 17:50

There is also the cut down megadrive version.
Ok it's a sprite beast but it is possible.

hexaae 27 October 2019 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shatterhand (Post 1354529)
Shadow Dancer on amiga was great. I would be really amazed to see someone doing a better job on an OCS system with 512kb Ram.

Probably true due to those limitations...

Quote:

a lower framerate and obvious less colors
... and less animations...
I agree music was even better then arcade, but after launching the MAME version I have to admit the original wasn't that good too as an arcade IMHO (I had a better memory of it) ;)

...nobody mentioned Rolling Thunder, another old classic with a mediocre Amiga port from a technical point of view ;)

hexaae 27 October 2019 18:13

@mcgeezer
What about adding PAUSE + QUIT to main menu to Bomb Jack Beer Edition?
There was also a little glitch with death anim left... ;)

VincentGR 27 October 2019 18:14

Oh yes, Rolling Thunder was great indeed.

jotd 27 October 2019 18:30

Pause / ESC doesn't seem to work because interrupts are disabled... Also there's a programming error that triggers an access fault (table lookup with word index = $92Cxxx) ouch.

Code:

LEA        (LAB_00DF,PC),A0        ;0100a: 41fa0718
        BRA.S        LAB_00B8                ;0100e: 6004
LAB_00B7:
        LEA        (some_table,PC),A0        ;01010: 41fa0312
LAB_00B8:
      ; here D2 can be completely wrong, creating a negative offset)
        MOVE.B        (0,A0,D2.W),D0                ;01014: 10302000
        EXT.W        D0                        ;01018: 4880
        ADD.W        (16,A2),D0                ;0101a: d06a0010

I've updated the whdload slave with a lot of fixes (including second button & joypad support). Hopefully it will be able to run on a CD32 machine now with CD32Load.

jotd 27 October 2019 21:52

Oh and found another typo. After "SIESMIC MINDS", there's "RYGAR, THE LEGENDARDY WARRIOR"...

Tested on real miggy: the 2nd button issue is gone after I removed OS, all POTGO code from original & used my joypad read routine.

It has slowdowns probably because I'm only using chipmem on that slave ATM.

I found several annoying issues, not sure if they're whdload related:

- after ending a round, the next time you press fire, the shooting noise occurs but character doesn't shoot. Deadly if you fire only when meeting an enemy...
- level 5: vertical round, when climbing, the bat doesn't fire any projectile, which makes that part easy. Also I didn't remember you could kill it when climbing. Strangely enough, it starts dropping projectiles in the horizontal final section...

I've zoned a beta of the new slave

hexaae 27 October 2019 23:58

@JOTD
The issue "after a round, at the beginning of a new one no-fire bug" confirmed and reported some messages ago by me too

mcgeezer 28 October 2019 00:21

These all need to go in the bugs section.

When i have enough bugs reported then i’ll fix them all in one go... otherwise i end up doing multiple releases which just annoys people.

Tigerskunk 28 October 2019 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shatterhand (Post 1354529)
Shadow Dancer on amiga was great. I would be really amazed to see someone doing a better job on an OCS system with 512kb Ram. I have a friend who could finish the arcade version without continues (an impressive feat), and when I showed him the Amiga version he was truly impressed with it. He obviously complained about the 1 button controller, but he said apart of this, a lower framerate and obvious less colors, the port was incredibly accurate with very few different stuff. He also said "The music also is completely different, but its actually a lot better on the Amiga version".

It's still horribly ugly though, with its 7 colours for everything.
It made me cry seeing stuff like this after buying an Amiga because of how games like defender of the crown and marble madness looked.

These days I know enough of the technical backgrounds that I understand why many action games looked like this bad, but still, it hurts.

The OCS Amiga really needs an additional 512k to shine.

jotd 28 October 2019 09:41

@mcgeezer the slave I wrote is very likely to run on a stock CD32 with CD32Load, with joypad controls for pause. I didn't try it but I'm pretty sure it will work. I made sure that the memory layout leaves room for CD32load resident & CD buffers.

Problem is if you release 200 versions to fix bugs, yes, I'll have to adapt my slave again and again... it's even more the case with the newer adaptations to run without the OS.

But I'll manage. I'm going to log the bugs in the other thread.

mcgeezer 28 October 2019 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1354690)
Problem is if you release 200 versions to fix bugs, yes, I'll have to adapt my slave again and again... it's even more the case with the newer adaptations to run without the OS.

Indeed - this is why I'm waiting for as many bugs to be reported and then I'll fix them all over a couple of weeks.

I had to get the game released for Amiga34...otherwise it would have just dragged on and on.