English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What is your favourite Shoot'em-Up ? (all platforms) (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=1302)

killergorilla 29 August 2003 12:30

Quote:

Originally posted by cv643d
Someone else besides me can give some love for Zero Gunner 2?

Maybe it was mentioned but im to lazy to look again.

Zero Gunner 2 is indeedy a superb game. Far too easy but superb none the less.

Amiga1992 29 August 2003 16:40

I want to cry:

1) I want Radiant Silvergun. Badly. And my friend who was in Japan is leaving and I have no dough to give her for it :(

2) I want a Dreamcast. Badly. with a copy of Ikaruga :(

3) I want a Gamecube. Badly. With a copy of F-Zero GX (makes you piss ya pants) :(

4) I want a PS2. badly. with a copy of R-Type Final :(

I got poor, no nextgen consoles for me !

Shatterhand 30 August 2003 05:20

I have no nextgen console either.

I want a PS2 for MGS 2 and Gradius V.

And Aleste 2 indeed rox, it's the best shmup ever!!!!

Dastardly 30 August 2003 19:53

What do you guys think of R Type Leo? Im playing it at the mo and think its very good. Not getting very far on just one credit though :D

Shatterhand 31 August 2003 05:55

R-Type Leo is not bad, but it doesn't feel much like R-Type at all.

I decided to give a 2nd chance to R-Type Delta. This game never got me interested, though I was a big fan of both R-Types on Amiga. I still couldn't see what was all the fuss about it. The game is rather frustating at parts, it has too much slowdown, and it requires an ABSURD amount of memorization sometimes.

Amiga1992 31 August 2003 06:45

R-Type is all about memorization and mastering :) Even my girlfriend has memorized level one, I'm so ashamed of you Shatterhand! :D:D:D

Delta is fab, Leo is OK but not much RType-ish.

Here's looking forward to play RTFinal

Titler 31 August 2003 18:39

Aleste?

I remember this game extremely fondly, although the version I had was called Power Strike, for the Sega Master System. I'd highly recommend it... but be warned, it's bloody hard! Yet I did manage to beat it twice as I recall; I was so proud!

(screenies and a review can be seen here: http://www.classicgaming.com/reviews/sms/pstrike.htm)

There was sequel, Power Strike II for the Master System, but I'm not sure if it was unique to that system or not. I must play it properly some day!

I also agree with R-Type being an all-time Classic. I think Nemesis/Gradius (along with it's sequels) should be included too. Space Harrier simply because it seemed so revolutionary at the time... and still appears unique, in looks at least, today. But my all-time favourite shmup would be Choplifter (Arcade), simply because I grew so attached to the little fellows you had to rescue... it was so enormously satisfying to dodge down past the AA guns, and pick up the peeps... it's Defender. But with Helicopters. And based on an old Apple game, fact fans...

Shatterhand 31 August 2003 22:22

Aleste on Master System (Called Power Strike in USA) isn't half as good as the MSX one from what I can tell. It's slower, and it seems like it has one less level (It starts on Level 2 of the MSX version)

Power Strike II is an excellent shmup too, and it's exclusive to the Master System. Aleste 2 on MSX is a different game, and it's MUCH better anyway :)

I do know R-Type is about memorization, but Delta is RIDICULOUS. It's like if I memorize the whole game I'll be able to play with my eyes closed. But what really annoys me the most is the slowdown. Level 3 is incredibly slow all the time, level 4 has many slowdown sections... I heard R-Type Final is even worse in the slowdown department...

And I can reach level 4 in a single life, but I still couldn't beat that level. When I reach that maze with those big robots and vertical scroll I get crushed all the time.

Steve 01 September 2003 21:54

King of the shooters is...

1 Attachment(s)
I've played loads of shoot-em-ups but my favourite has to be this fairly recent shooter by Capcom. I'm really surprised no-one has mentioned this game yet or maybe I've not looked hard enough. This is a game any shoot-em-up fan should play. It's the incredible arcade game Giga Wing.

Only two words can describe this amazing game...

Utter mayhem. :)

Just check out the screenshots I've taken from MAME.

Steve 01 September 2003 21:55

More Giga Wing mayhem...

1 Attachment(s)
This game simply ROCKS! It's awesome!! :great :great :great

Dizzy 01 September 2003 22:02

Look pretty explosive :laughing

killergorilla 02 September 2003 13:39

Gigawing is indeed a splendid game. I've played it many times on my Dreamcast (along with the sequel - aptly named - Gigawing 2)

It's just sooo damn 'busy'. There is so much going on at one time I really do not recommend playing this game under the influence of any alcohol at all. Maybe after 6 bottles of lucozade and a packet of smarties though :)

You ever play Mars Matrix Steve? It is also a great game, slightly insane too.

The Dreamcast has some absolutley superb shooters so try em out everybody!

haynor666 02 September 2003 16:24

Guwange - anyone remember this one ?

Shatterhand 04 September 2003 06:01

Gigawing, Gigawing 2 and Mars Matrix are all developed by the same softwarehosuse: Takumi. Capcom only published the games. (That's why Gigawing and Mars Matrix are rather similar in style)

I have never played any of those games, but they are always mentioned as good ones.

Guwange is not that old (1999, most games mentioned in this thread are older than this). I LOVE Guwange, it's IMO, the best shmup made by Cave.

mtb 04 September 2003 09:29

For me especially Phoenix but also Millipede and Desert Falcon on Atari 2600.

Fred the Fop 11 September 2003 07:00

Desert Falcon was a 7800 game too, dude. :)
Now for experts of Schmups, how about this game?
Anyone know of it and where to....em..."test" it?

http://www2.starcat.ne.jp/~fussy/game/sl.htm

Shatterhand 12 September 2003 06:30

First, it's spelled SHMUPS, not SCHMUPS
Second, this is no SHMUP, Frederica. You are needing a good session of PIMPSLAP to learn things. I'll send Akira at your home tonight.

I just discored a GEM this week, while playing the shmups old-school compo in the shmups.com site. It's a NES game called "Recca"

The game is BLOODY fast, it throws you an ABSURD amount of stuff - I could say it's as manic as DODONPACHI or some later games. It doesn't really play like a 1992 game. I don't know how this game isn't more known, because it's truly AMAZING.

Fred the Fop 12 September 2003 08:16

Quote:

Originally posted by Akira
go to www.jcec.co.uk for your x68k emu needs

and play ChoRenShaX68K. Fucking best shooter for the Sharpy

Wow...seen screenies of it. Where can i get this game?

mtb 13 September 2003 13:27

Quote:

Originally posted by Frederic
Desert Falcon was a 7800 game too, dude. :)

The graphics is a bit better... Just played it with mess.

Fred the Fop 25 October 2003 19:09

1 Attachment(s)
Been playing Layer Section for Sega Saturn, and I am impressed at the sheer playability of it. Tight controls and cool graphics.
There are many shooters on the Saturn I am finding out!!