English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.TOSEC (amiga only) (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Fixing Flashback versions.. Ongoing.. (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=22738)

mai 03 June 2011 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by demoniac (Post 759550)
The executable is only on Disk 1, so your assumption is correct. Disks 2-4 were labeled as Interpol as they were the ones released it. I see what you are trying to accomplish with TOSEC, I do agree in part, but would that lead to confusion if someone is trying to locate the other 3 disks of a particular crack?

I am aware, that not anybody like this solution.
As i have said, if a disk is untouched, i cant call it cracked or fixed.
Of course, if someone searches the complete particular crack, TOSEC collection would not be useful.
I try to explain:
TOSEC holds exact copies of french Flashback Originals Disks 1 - 4.
Interpol cracked Disk 1 and released unmodified Disks 2 -4.(crc32)
I cant call the Original disks 2 -4 cracked!!!
There are a lot of examples, where 2 different groups released multi disk games, where Disks 2- 4(for example) is exactly the same(crc32), because of no protection or no modification.
So one group never get a disk 2-4 in TOSEC.
There are also a lot of examples in TOSEC, where following disks rightly are not named as cracked/fixed, although a group released this disk.

Of course a have to be very careful!
I do a lot of investigation, comparing.(IPF, original scene releases).

demoniac 04 June 2011 00:04

I do the same when I check what I have transferred over from floppy. I'm quite surprised that most of my 15 year transfers did not have errors.

mai 04 June 2011 00:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by demoniac (Post 759678)
I do the same when I check what I have transferred over from floppy. I'm quite surprised that most of my 15 year transfers did not have errors.

If you have anything rare, let me know.;)

breech 04 June 2011 07:27

I see nothing wrong with mai's way of doing things, as I consider the original disk images to be a 'source' (second only to the master disks) and crack/fix release to be a modification. Identical images to the source releases are redundant.

Of course if there are different source versions then the crack release should indicate which version it is based on.

Just my 2c :)

demoniac 05 June 2011 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by mai (Post 759683)
If you have anything rare, let me know.;)

You'll have to wait when I finish beating all of the games. :) I finished all the action games, but stopped at the beginning of RPG stuff as they take longer. Maybe I'll pick up again one of these days, but I seem to have less time now than before.

mai 05 June 2011 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by demoniac (Post 759885)
You'll have to wait when I finish beating all of the games. :)

I am patient as usual.:D