English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.FS-UAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   FS-UAE <= 2.9.x development series (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=66416)

Retro-Nerd 24 November 2015 12:48

Quote:

jit_compiler = 1
Ok, this works perfectly for me. :)

kolla 24 November 2015 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim (Post 1052501)
There is some kind of virtual serial port system in UAE (uaeserial.device), so it could probably be done. But it's not really on my to-do list.

Understandable, thanks, I will look at it myself. :)

ztronzo 25 November 2015 08:46

Excellent work Frode with the release of dev 2.7.5v
Tried out the extra custom joystick mappings and they work like a charm!!!!!

Now an odd question only a freaky person like me would ask...

is it possible to configure a key to perform multiple keystrokes or in this case can I add multiple functions in sequence for a joyport button?
example:
joystick_port_7_button_1 = action_joy_1_left, action_joy_1_right, action_joy_1_left_hold, action_joy_1_fire_button, action_joy_1_left_release

(Could be useful for combo moves "Mortal Kombat" or even fix the "North and South" player 2 glitchy movements etc...)
if not, its not so important for now anyway, but would you think its a good idea adding something similar in future releases?

walter 26 November 2015 03:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim (Post 1052385)
A new development version has been released. Changes in FS-UAE 2.7.5dev:

I upgraded last night, and my previous working config started crashing:
the fs-uae window would open and then close in about a second, reporting
a segmentation fault.

I experimented and found that JIT activation by "uae_cachesize = 8192"
seemed to cause the crash. It works without any JIT and with
"jit_compiler = 1"

Are the "modern" JIT configuration options documented? I see references
to them on this board, but I can't find them on the fs-uae website. Maybe
they're on github some place?

I think my graphics card option ("uaegfx_card = 1") is out of date as
well. Are the new graphics options documented? My config file needs a
substantial renovation.

My testing has not used fs-uae-launcher, but started from the bash
terminal or the Unity launcher (Ubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS).

walter 27 November 2015 19:05

OK, I found "https://github.com/FrodeSolheim/fs-uae/tree/master/doc/options"
which appears to be more current than "http://fs-uae.net/options" and has a good
bit on graphics card/memory configuration.

There seems to be a stub for jit_compiler under docs, but is there a comprehensive
detailing of JIT operation/configuration somewhere? Does is inherit from the WINUAE
docs?

Thanks.

FrodeSolheim 28 November 2015 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by ztronzo (Post 1052655)
is it possible to configure a key to perform multiple keystrokes or in this case can I add multiple functions in sequence for a joyport button?

Not possible now, perhaps in the future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by walter (Post 1052822)
I experimented and found that JIT activation by "uae_cachesize = 8192"
seemed to cause the crash. It works without any JIT and with "jit_compiler = 1"

Crash is fixed for the development release.

Quote:

Are the "modern" JIT configuration options documented? I see references
to them on this board, but I can't find them on the fs-uae website. Maybe
they're on github some place?

Some preliminary docs here: https://github.com/FrodeSolheim/fs-u...it-compiler.md

Quote:

I think my graphics card option ("uaegfx_card = 1") is out of date as
well. Are the new graphics options documented? My config file needs a
substantial renovation.

This is the new option: https://github.com/FrodeSolheim/fs-u.../graphics_card (but the old one should still work, unless there is a bug)

Quote:

Originally Posted by walter (Post 1053138)
OK, I found "https://github.com/FrodeSolheim/fs-uae/tree/master/doc/options"
which appears to be more current than "http://fs-uae.net/options" and has a good
bit on graphics card/memory configuration.

There seems to be a stub for jit_compiler under docs, but is there a comprehensive detailing of JIT operation/configuration somewhere? Does is inherit from the WINUAE docs?

There isn't really any much tweaking to be done. The most optimal settings are automatically enabled. You can disable direct memory access with jit_memory, and turn off FPU JIT with uae_compfpu.

walter 02 December 2015 19:37

Thanks very much. I've been re-reading threads on the JIT changes, and I'm updating my
config and seeing what happens. Probably have more puzzlement in time.

FrodeSolheim 23 December 2015 01:09

A new development version has been released. Changes in FS-UAE 2.7.6dev:
  • Fix AGA flickering bug introduced in 2.5.40dev.
  • Do not use R12 register in x86-64 JIT due to addressing issue.
  • Lowered default floppy drive sound volume.
  • Warn when uae_cachesize is used without jit_compiler enabled.
  • Theme options override options from config.
  • Updated emulation core from WinUAE 3220.
Changes in FS-UAE Launcher 2.7.6dev:
  • Most dialogs are non-modal again.
  • Misc user interface updates.
Also: Merry Christmas :xmas

rlake 01 January 2016 21:17

I appreciate this not being officially supported but I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I could emulate a GVP SCSI controller in 2.7.6dev with the following custom configuration (A500 base):

Code:

hard_drive_0_controller = scsi0_gvp
uae_gvp_rom_file = .\gvp_scsi_v4.15.bin
uae_gvp_rom_file_id = F89F44D6,GVP Series II ROM

With WB installed I dd'ed to a CF card and have it working on my A500+, truly wonderful! :cool

During install though I think I may have hit an odd FS-UAE keyboard bug. WB install is mostly point and click but with some disk swapping involved... it seemed to be that during opening/closing the FS-UAE GUI the locale or keyboard map would change somehow, such that renaming the hard disk volume (or other text input) would result in a funky character set. Displaying/closing the FS-UAE GUI appeared to toggle it back to regular western text characters. I will try and take a screen shot if it happens again, or maybe this is just user error or a key collision with the GUI?

MrGimper 02 January 2016 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlake (Post 1059518)
I appreciate this not being officially supported but I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I could emulate a GVP SCSI controller in 2.7.6dev with the following custom configuration (A500 base):

Code:

hard_drive_0_controller = scsi0_gvp
uae_gvp_rom_file = .\gvp_scsi_v4.15.bin
uae_gvp_rom_file_id = F89F44D6,GVP Series II ROM

With WB installed I dd'ed to a CF card and have it working on my A500+, truly wonderful! :cool

During install though I think I may have hit an odd FS-UAE keyboard bug. WB install is mostly point and click but with some disk swapping involved... it seemed to be that during opening/closing the FS-UAE GUI the locale or keyboard map would change somehow, such that renaming the hard disk volume (or other text input) would result in a funky character set. Displaying/closing the FS-UAE GUI appeared to toggle it back to regular western text characters. I will try and take a screen shot if it happens again, or maybe this is just user error or a key collision with the GUI?

I reported the keyboard bug some time ago. I noticed it when in the Shell and swapping disk images via the UI caused the key mapping in the shell to go crazy.

FrodeSolheim 04 January 2016 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlake (Post 1059518)

Yes, it's a known issue (https://github.com/FrodeSolheim/fs-uae/issues/77), not fixed yet (the problem is a "sticky" modifier key).

Goingdown 05 January 2016 07:28

I have a problem with fs-uae 2.7.6dev version installed from Fedora 23 devel repo. It crashes on startup (FS-UAE crashes, not launcher) with error "Memory overflow". Even if I try to run it from command line without any arguments. I tried to check logfiles but I could not find anything specific.

I tried to compile fs-uae by myself, and my own build works.

Is there some special settings used when building Fedora 23 packages?

FrodeSolheim 11 January 2016 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goingdown (Post 1060299)
I have a problem with fs-uae 2.7.6dev version installed from Fedora 23 devel repo. It crashes on startup (FS-UAE crashes, not launcher) with error "Memory overflow". Even if I try to run it from command line without any arguments. I tried to check logfiles but I could not find anything specific.

I'm able to reproduce the same problem - or at least a similar one - so I'll look into it!

Neil79 16 January 2016 12:17

This is still happening on a clean dev install, in other words no traces of anything left behind.

Stays on the login screen unless you click close, so you don't know if it's a correct user or not.

Imports all Kickstarts correctly, but shows up as X's

FrodeSolheim 16 January 2016 12:24

I'll test the login window on Windows with the latest dev versions.

As for the kickstarts in Amiga Forever, they are in "Amiga Files/Shared/rom", not "Amiga Files/Systems"!

Neil79 16 January 2016 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim (Post 1063038)
I'll test the login window on Windows with the latest dev versions.

As for the kickstarts in Amiga Forever, they are in "Amiga Files/Shared/rom", not "Amiga Files/Systems"!

Ah, should it not say " Kickstarts not found " instead of " Kickstart Imported Started - Import Task Done " :great

Thanks for the advice btw, that fixed it.. Guess it worked fine with the games as I added the main dir for scan previously

FrodeSolheim 16 January 2016 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil79 (Post 1063039)
Ah, should it not say " Kickstarts not found " instead of " Kickstart Imported Started - Import Task Done " :great

I have now improved the function so it reports how many ROM files it imported, and prints a warning if no ROM files were found :)

Neil79 16 January 2016 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim (Post 1063044)
I have now improved the function so it reports how many ROM files it imported, and prints a warning if no ROM files were found :)

Great :great

FrodeSolheim 16 January 2016 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goingdown (Post 1060299)
Is there some special settings used when building Fedora 23 packages?

Yes, turns out it is. RPM packages build for Fedora 23 is built with "hardened options" by default for additiona security. It looks like this enabled PIE (position independent executable) by default, and this interferes with FS-UAE. I've made a workaround for that particular crash (FPU related, should be available in the repo for a few days).

I presume that JIT does not work with the Fedora 23 x86-64 repo version. I need to tell rpm RPM build system to build without hardening options for this to work properly.

EDIT: putting %undefine _hardened_build in the .spec file does seem to fix the problem.

FrodeSolheim 17 January 2016 00:05

A new development version has been released. Changes in FS-UAE 2.7.7dev:
  • Compile with hardening disabled for Fedora 23+.
  • Automatically scan $BASE/AmigaForever/Amiga Files/Shared/rom for Kickstarts.
Changes in FS-UAE Launcher 2.7.7dev:
  • Always sort variant list in rated order from oagd.net, but prefer locally available variants.
  • Automatically scan $BASE/AmigaForever/Amiga Files/Shared/rom for Kickstarts.
  • Automatically add $BASE/AmigaForever/Amiga Files to file scanner.
  • Kickstart import: Show how many ROM files were imported (or warn if none).
  • Blacklist mouse_integration from advanced settings (use per-config instead).
  • Added support for WHDLoad 18.2, set as default version.