English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Inviyya - OCS Shoot Em Up (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=88840)

Tigerskunk 12 July 2021 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by torturedutopian (Post 1495305)
Yep, some people are more sensitive to smoothness / latency and some prefer the feeling of blowing tons of stuff and shooting tons of bullets. Provided you cannot get both ;)

Both make sense. That's a design decision :)

Yep, exactly.
A lot of complaints I heard are just "I want this game to be something it isn't."
Which is fine, but in the end I think Inviyya plays quite well and is fun the way it is.
If this is not your type of SHMUP, then there is enough other stuff around which may satisfy your preferences. Not every game needs to play the same.

Quote:

As far as I'm concerned, I tend to think, but I may be mistaken and it's probably not universal, that the feeling of "empowerment" and dopamine shoot triggered by a huge number of stuff at a time kinda wears off after a while, while some clever levels constructions remain interesting.

Inviyya definitely plays the way ->I<- like shmups to play. On the other side that ensures it plays well in that certain niche of games.

Quote:

Of course it would make more sense to consider reducing the framerate if the number of sprites was not sufficient to get the desired design / vision done... And obviously it's a constraint (which can be creative).

I'd say then don't do an reaction based action game on that machine.

I'd never do a scroller on the Atari ST, since that machine sucks for that kind of game.

VincentGR 12 July 2021 14:10

I prefer 50fps shooters with tight controls, even with 2 colors.

Tigerskunk 12 July 2021 14:59

Amiga gamers are kind of like these people in abusive relationships.
After a few years they kind of seem to enjoy the horrors... :D

Tigerskunk 12 July 2021 16:25

1 Attachment(s)
Good news.
CDs have arrived, and after some problems with the printing process of the digipaks, also that has cleared up.

Looks gorgeous, imo.

http://eab.abime.net/attachment.php?...1&d=1626099861

If all goes according to plan, Poly.Play will be starting to send out boxed sets start of next week...

:)

Neil79 12 July 2021 18:10

:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown Can't wait!

Tigerskunk 15 July 2021 06:31

Hey guys, the updated whdload slave (including a trainer) for the balanced version of Inviyya can be downloaded now on https://tigerskunk.itch.io/inviyya

Will surely be available on whdload website soon as welll, though... :)

roondar 15 July 2021 09:35

That's a cool look for the CD's :)

d4rk3lf 15 July 2021 11:56

Amazing looking CD. :)
And big kudos to Steril, for constant balance polishing the game.

aros-sg 15 July 2021 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgeezer (Post 1494649)
So how would reducing the frame rate result in gaining more memory for your improved graphics?

Come on, let’s have those pearls of wisdom again.

Easy: for example by using 1 plane masks, not interleaved masks. Need to blit objects plane by plane, so maybe too slow for 50 FPS, but not for 25 FPS. You then can also have objects whose gfx data maybe only uses 3 planes or 2 planes. And the rest are filled/zeroed with mask plane. This also allows same object with multiple colors/palette depending on which planes you "fill", and which planes you "zero". Theoretically you can also get rid of mask plane completely (you could do it just for some of the sprites, not all). Just NAND with the gfx data.

Another possibility is to use a slower BOB restore method. Instead of having 3 screen buffers, only have 2 screen buffers and for restoring re-blit the tiles trashed by the BOBs.

Another possibilty would be compressed sprites. Or compressed sprite animations. Like if in memory sprite frame #2 contains only the differences to sprite frame #1, so to blit sprite frame #2 you first blit sprite frame #1 and apply frame #2 diffs.

Or real time tiles. Instead of having left mirrored/right mirrored copies of otherwise identical tile, mirror it realtime if necessary before blitting.

Tigerskunk 15 July 2021 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by aros-sg (Post 1495915)
Easy: for example by using 1 plane masks, not interleaved masks. Need to blit objects plane by plane, so maybe too slow for 50 FPS, but not for 25 FPS. You then can also have objects whose gfx data maybe only uses 3 planes or 2 planes. And the rest are filled/zeroed with mask plane. This also allows same object with multiple colors/palette depending on which planes you "fill", and which planes you "zero". Theoretically you can also get rid of mask plane completely (you could do it just for some of the sprites, not all). Just NAND with the gfx data.

Another possibility is to use a slower BOB restore method. Instead of having 3 screen buffers, only have 2 screen buffers and for restoring re-blit the tiles trashed by the BOBs.

Another possibilty would be compressed sprites. Or compressed sprite animations. Like if in memory sprite frame #2 contains only the differences to sprite frame #1, so to blit sprite frame #2 you first blit sprite frame #1 and apply frame #2 diffs.

Or real time tiles. Instead of having left mirrored/right mirrored copies of otherwise identical tile, mirror it realtime if necessary before blitting.

I am very sure Gilbert had all of these things in mind when he made his post.

Tigerskunk 15 July 2021 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4rk3lf (Post 1495886)
Amazing looking CD. :)
And big kudos to Steril, for constant balance polishing the game.

Hope people will like the new level. I'd say it's two more weeks and then a lot of testing.

klx300r 16 July 2021 06:04

My Amiga 1000 with lightning fast 68010 can't wait to receive my boxed copy:great

Tigerskunk 16 July 2021 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by klx300r (Post 1496033)
my amiga 1000 with lightning fast 68010 can't wait to receive my boxed copy:great

: D

TjLaZer 17 July 2021 17:40

Finally got the Balance patch sorted, thanks! Tried to update my disk with the new Flashtro crack for it and it doesn't work. ARRGHHHH. (NTSC user)

trydowave 17 July 2021 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steril707 (Post 1495861)
Hey guys, the updated whdload slave (including a trainer) for the balanced version of Inviyya can be downloaded now on https://tigerskunk.itch.io/inviyya

Will surely be available on whdload website soon as welll, though... :)

Cool. Love the game.

Tigerskunk 18 July 2021 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by TjLaZer (Post 1496265)
Finally got the Balance patch sorted, thanks! Tried to update my disk with the new Flashtro crack for it and it doesn't work. ARRGHHHH. (NTSC user)

Phew, no idea why. I guess you need to ask the guys who created that trainer, Ross and AlphaOne. ;)

Retroplay 18 July 2021 15:26

Ross upped an NTSC fix yesterday to the zone.

BarryB 18 July 2021 16:05

Has this shipped yet? I've just sent Ploy Play a reminder that I'm still waiting for confirmation of my order from them I placed 5 weeks ago!

ross 18 July 2021 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retroplay (Post 1496381)
Ross upped an NTSC fix yesterday to the zone.

Sorry, I hadn't advertise it yet :)
I did it quickly, I hope it works.

Tigerskunk 18 July 2021 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryB (Post 1496392)
Has this shipped yet? I've just sent Ploy Play a reminder that I'm still waiting for confirmation of my order from them I placed 5 weeks ago!

Last thing I heard is first shipments will go out this coming week.