English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Collections (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   BS1 Collection - awesome looking haul of disks (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=90126)

Keeper 12 January 2018 07:11

i would very much like to buy the entire set of BS1 disk's when its dumping is done , same goes for the set you have The Baron

happymondays 12 January 2018 09:20

Amazing speed, Simon.
And another 6550 disks coming from Sweden. Hidden treasure troves everywhere...

dlfrsilver 12 January 2018 10:02

yes :)

SimonV 12 January 2018 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by happymondays (Post 1211302)
Amazing speed, Simon.
And another 6550 disks coming from Sweden. Hidden treasure troves everywhere...

I am even afraid to say how many disks I was offered or asked to help with since this started... for now I don't try to think about it.

SimonV 12 January 2018 12:25

1 Attachment(s)
nr15 is alive !

TurboCrash 12 January 2018 15:29

Am I the only one to be amazed that most of these floppies are still readable?

SimonV 12 January 2018 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboCrash (Post 1211350)
Am I the only one to be amazed that most of these floppies are still readable?

No ;-)

ASM68 12 January 2018 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimonV (Post 1210355)
When it's done it all goes to the recycling center or local amigans that want floppies.

Mr. SimonV and Mr. Baron:
Please do not bring them to the recycling center, do not give them away as blank discs or even sell them to collectors - the unique collections will be lost forever!
:crying

They are already a part of computer history and belong in a computer museum for everyone to enjoy.

Like the data, where you all do a great job, also the disks and boxes have to be carefully cleaned, restored where needed and preserved for future generations to enjoy.

SimonV 12 January 2018 17:42

1 Attachment(s)
And another one from the Steffest before he's gone for the weekend.

Keeper 12 January 2018 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimonV (Post 1211374)
And another one from the Steffest before he's gone for the weekend.

Very fast and excellent work :)

dlfrsilver 12 January 2018 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASM68 (Post 1211373)
Please do not bring them to the recycling center, do not give them away as blank discs or even sell them to collectors - the unique collections will be lost forever!

They are already a part of computer history and belong in a computer museum for everyone to enjoy.

Like the data, where you all do a great job, also the disks and boxes have to be carefully cleaned, restored where needed and preserved for future generations to enjoy.

None of the disks are bad so far LOL :)

StoneOakvalley 12 January 2018 23:40

This is pure awesome indeed!

Have downloaded 16 packs so far, with the aim to index everything into my "SOTDS" database in future.

dalek 12 January 2018 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steffest (Post 1210648)
Indeed, that's a file filled with 00 bytes.

I'm using "Disk Ripper" (http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/DiskRipper1.52) and Simon is using TSGui (http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/tsgui)
the TSGUI ReadMe says: "bad blocks are cleared in output file" so I guess that's just a bad disk.

So doesn't that mean if you get errors with tsgui you won't know about them because you are getting zeroes in the output? Or does it tell you if there are errors during the read?

Sounds strange there are no bad disks - is it possible there are errors you aren't seeing because the output has been replaced with zeroes? Hoping not because it's a great effort you are doing to preserve these disks thanks!

Steffest 13 January 2018 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalek (Post 1211460)
Or does it tell you if there are errors during the read?

Sounds strange there are no bad disks

There are some disks with read errors but up to now it's only like 1% or something. We're keeping them separate for later processing.

I guess they were written once on new disks at the time without ever being touched again. That, and they are stored in good quality boxes and probably kept safe from extreme temperatures and moisture.

My own disk collection is in far worse shape, that's for sure :-)

dlfrsilver 13 January 2018 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalek (Post 1211460)
So doesn't that mean if you get errors with tsgui you won't know about them because you are getting zeroes in the output? Or does it tell you if there are errors during the read?

Sounds strange there are no bad disks - is it possible there are errors you aren't seeing because the output has been replaced with zeroes? Hoping not because it's a great effort you are doing to preserve these disks thanks!

don't worry, ADF workshop sees when a disk has some errors, and i found in each pack some with errors.

dalek 13 January 2018 13:03

Thanks guys my mind is now at peace - keep up the good work :)

dirkies 13 January 2018 13:55

If a kryoflux is required for those difficult disks, I can lend you mine.

dlfrsilver 13 January 2018 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirkies (Post 1211564)
If a kryoflux is required for those difficult disks, I can lend you mine.

Thanks for the help :)

SimonV 13 January 2018 18:44

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ASM68 (Post 1211373)

Seriously ? It's just random floppies with a number on it ... there is really nothing to enjoy about those for future generations. No originals and so far no labels with scene-art on them. And they will go to shit beyond repair at some point in time ... that is why we are imaging them. So in other words the enjoyment for future generations is in the content ... that said: here is number 17.

SimonV 13 January 2018 18:46

And I forgot, another friend started imaging today ! So we might speed it up a little more.