English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.KGLoad (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Old KGLoad Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=33499)

TheCorfiot 14 July 2008 23:04

Hey KG Nice one mate

I would use it for sure.

I think auto unzipping would be a nightmare though, slower loading & probably take longer for the search scripts to identify the game

It's not that big a deal to unzip files esp with Classic Wb & Dopus.

BTW I nominate KG-Opus as the name.

Cheers for your continued hard work

TC :D

killergorilla 15 July 2008 00:06

Thanks man, good to know there is interest in this, I am still continuing work on it, the database is fully together now, just sorting out the genres.

Don't worry I won't be spending any time on zip support until I've released a fully working version. :)

I've decided to stop allowing people to suggest names because they all suck! :p

Brakus 15 July 2008 01:51

I was actually starting to put together a quick and dirty launcher but this project sounds like exactly what I was looking for and more...

Great Stuff KG, can't wait to installl it in the miggys!

I got to the stage of parsing your dat file and creating a database before I realized that unless I unzipped the installs on the fly the dat file wouldn't do me any good ... Doh' :o

killergorilla 18 July 2008 03:15

Might as well update you guys as I've spent an hour or two on it today.

Completed the database, so I now have a full gameslist to go on (not including the games in my next pack).

Belgarath has been kind enough to allow me to use his images he made for gamebase so I am just about to bulk convert them to iff format. I'll have to ensure I rename them properly but at least I don't have to download them all individually or take them myself! (Just a note - the HOL team did say I could use images from HOL, but I'm far too lazy so thanks guys!)

It's only loading a single gamelist at the moment, no subfolders or anything like that but I need to check out the image loading/menu scrolling on a real A1200 first before I go any further.

So I'm not that far from Beta 1, should be out very soon for those who are willing to test it.

TheCorfiot 18 July 2008 10:29

KG

Let me know when you need the Beta tested mate!!!

Thanks again

TC :D

Bamiga2002 18 July 2008 11:11

I want to test it too :cool

Yoto 18 July 2008 14:22

Hello KG, and wonderful work btw!

pbareges 18 July 2008 14:51

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT!! also do you have an idea of what is the whole unpacked size of your packs? THANK YOU!

killergorilla 18 July 2008 15:27

the whole lot unpacked... honestly...

No, I have no idea :)

There are a lot of dupes you probably wouldn't want though (languages, versions without datadisks etc.)

Maybe 4gb?

StevenJGore 18 July 2008 17:40

Quote:

also do you have an idea of what is the whole unpacked size of your packs?
I installed all the games packs only just last weekend. I've deleted all the non-english games, and the unpacked size is 3.2GB (113,596 files 7,296 folders!!). I've kept all ECS, AGA, CD32, and CDTV variants of each game.

@killergorilla: your whdload packs are awesome! Saved me so much time. Thanks for all your efforts creating them! :)

Steve.

pbareges 18 July 2008 19:54

thank you guys ! so we could set up an all-in-one (classicwb+packs+launcher) on one disposable 4gb cf card! great news indeed!...for my soon to be ULTIMATE GAMING MACHINE!

killergorilla 24 July 2008 14:50

Right, I've done a little more work on it and thought I'd post another screenshot to let you know I've not let it die!

I've whacked together a quick 'EAB inspired' skin for it, it's only very basic right now but it'll do for now.

I've also been chatting to THB who has some great ideas for different layouts which I hope to include very soon.

http://c.imagehost.org/0217/002.png

http://c.imagehost.org/0475/001.png

keropi 24 July 2008 14:53

drooling_mode=ON

Retro-Nerd 24 July 2008 14:56

Looks plain and neat. I like it so far. :)

StingRay 24 July 2008 15:32

Looks nice and usable! :)

Belgarath 24 July 2008 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by killergorilla (Post 436691)

I've also been chatting to THB who has some great ideas

I'm still trying to get my head around that..:shocked:nuts

gklinger 24 July 2008 16:03

It would be my pleasure to test it on an NTSC 1200. :)

killergorilla 24 July 2008 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by gklinger (Post 436722)
It would be my pleasure to test it on an NTSC 1200. :)

Hehe, I'm gonna need to adjust it to output an NTSC 640x200 screen at some stage, at the moment it's PAL only.

Marcuz 24 July 2008 16:11

what a nice screenshots! great work KG!

gklinger 24 July 2008 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by killergorilla (Post 436725)
Hehe, I'm gonna need to adjust it to output an NTSC 640x200 screen at some stage, at the moment it's PAL only.

Ah. Well, keep me in mind.

I have been looking for a less arduous way to load WHDLoad games. I was thinking about making a very simple text-based launcher and then it occurred to me that I could use DirOpus. There are lots of empty buttons that could be programmed so I could put all my favourite games in there. Bit of a kludge, I admit, but it beats opening and closing folder after folder which is a wee bit slow given the number of sub-folders.