English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Whatever happened to the ST haters ? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=6134)

manicx 05 September 2005 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parsec
Nah they were rubbish. Stupid green desktop and buzzing bee icon :p

The only thing I envied was that game that was like Thrust but with better graphics. The Games Machine mag had it all over the front cover one month (issue 6?) and it pissed me off waiting so long for them to port it, which they never did.

Oids. A game that kicked, kicks and will kick *ss!

Parsec 05 September 2005 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by manicx
Oids. A game that kicked, kicks and will kick *ss!

That's the one! Must grab a copy and an ST (spit) emulator :)

Edit: History repeats itself - there is a mac version! http://www.xavagus.com/

Marcuz 05 September 2005 13:12

i love Atari now. before having given an A500 for Xmas in 1991, the only other computers i had ever heard of were the Commodeore 64, wich i never have see from real and the old Olivetti' pcs in school in 1988/89. oh yes i have seen also some adverts fro the Amstrad and i recall distintely a tv commercial with a cpc running Xenon 2. that's all. so i started emulate Atari just recently, from the STs to the old consoles.
ok the OS sucks, not maybe in the design, but in the usability. but it has nice colours at least. but the games are great! they have lots of control issues and the emulators are not polished as Winuae, but there are really nice gems in there, as Prince of Persia for instance.

Zetr0 05 September 2005 20:29

During the Amiga / ST wars there was only one victor..... the WinTel PC..

It was while we scabbled in the mud about what game and which app.. this Wintel conflab of multi companies began releasing rehashed arcade games but that didn`t scare us that is atleast until DOOM was released.

From the drive to have the best and fastest office machine some bright sparks decided to use all of that over extended and under used office memory and power to a new limmit and DOOM was the result. admitedly Wolfenstien 3d was first but if any of you played it on the machines it was on, it reminded me of 3d Stake attack on the ZX80 damn slow.

I had both an ST and an Amiga(500,600, A1200), all were of sound yummyness and good game play... but slowly the ST died (lack of games or entertainment) and the Amiga grew with better games, demo scene and a productivity emerged from it that i felt lacking in the ST as a whole.

While this happened slowly non-minded parents bought thier children consoles and the market and mentality grew (my daughter has a COMPUTER not a console BTW was seting up an Amiga for a friend with a 4GB HD with all the games installed (have a DVD of WHD games and she loved every one and is constantly bugging me to get the Amiga DVD-TV running).. the PSX provided a culmination of its cheap thow away latest game and technology methodology spurned on by the yesterdays OLD technology mentality from the PC environment.

So here we are today, most of us tapping our thoughts and feelings to this forum upon the victor of the Amiga/ST wars.

I did the best I could and held off untill 99 before I OWNED a Wintel computer even though I had being building them professionally since 92. (it was Unreal Torney that converted me)

I have:

(Wintel PC's)
3 primary gaming/productivity rigs
1 Home entertainment Movie/DVD/Media Station
1 Secondary Gaming System
1 File Server
1 Laptop

(Linux)
1 FC3 Webserver (JSP etc)
1 Suse Email Server

(Storage)
3 Midi tower PC's (win98)
3 laptops (win95)
2 Amigas ( dongled up A12's )

(comp projects)
Amiga DVD-TV

What do i miss more about the amiga, quite simply the plug and play.

As a mention there was an interlude of linux V microsoft (lol that one has been going almost as long as the hills lol) what concerened me was that if some what mentioned how difficult it was. or expected it was... truth is... i found linux (especialy Fedora Core 3) to be almost Amiga like in shell and gui.

What pisses me off is that Workbench 3x is still not OPEN SOURCE !!!!! GRRRRRRRR

Think of it... small scalable OS ... workbench on my Phone, Watch, Media TV, Digi box ANYWHERE and EVERY WHERE!!!!!!!

.sigh... okay immma done rambling...

l8rs peeps..