English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   EAB's competition (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   EAB/Lemon Super League 2008: Round 4 - SWIV (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=35636)

cane 30 March 2008 15:48

My first score to post: 397,270

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/8536/swiv1jg4.png

TodaysForgotten 01 April 2008 03:58

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone know why my Winuae only keeps the scores of my first few games and then when i close out and reopen it never saves again?

Graham Humphrey 02 April 2008 00:44

I'm not doing so well at this now; I can't seem to get past the 36% mark and my scores are always slightly worse than the one I've posted so far.

Quick question: sometimes, when I go to collect a shield occasionally it blows up (clears all the enemies on the screen, like it does when you collect a shield when you're already using one) whereas other times I'm able to collect it. Anyone know why it does this? Do you have to shoot it a certain number of times or something before it explodes? I'm not totally sure how to do it which is annoying as there are times when I would rather kill all the enemies on screen than have a shield.

TodaysForgotten 02 April 2008 02:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey (Post 405313)
I'm not doing so well at this now; I can't seem to get past the 36% mark and my scores are always slightly worse than the one I've posted so far.

Quick question: sometimes, when I go to collect a shield occasionally it blows up (clears all the enemies on the screen, like it does when you collect a shield when you're already using one) whereas other times I'm able to collect it. Anyone know why it does this? Do you have to shoot it a certain number of times or something before it explodes? I'm not totally sure how to do it which is annoying as there are times when I would rather kill all the enemies on screen than have a shield.

yaaaa man. If you already have a shield (bubble pickup) and then try to pick up another one - it will explode the screen. I think if you shoot it 5 or 6(either way shooting it enough does explode) times it will explode the screen.

turrican3 02 April 2008 02:29

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by john4p (Post 404344)
P.S. Of course you can also try Super2xSaI or SuperEagle - but they don't really look better yet are much more demanding in terms of gfx processing power...

sorry little bit off topic but don't forget hq2x, for this game for me it looks better than 2xsai, but it's a question of taste.look the picture :
ps: i think it's even lighter for the proc.
less off topic : perhaps i will try to play later

TodaysForgotten 02 April 2008 07:55

id have to agree, looks a bit cleaner than johns

john4p 02 April 2008 08:07

Yes, I wanted to post a pic with hq2x, too. Since Saturday I also use hq2x.
It's the best Scaler available (well, along with hq3x and hq4x...)!

I now only use hq2x. But I have lots of respect for Kreed who created 2xSaI in the first place and made Neo Geo- and SNES-games look better on PC than on its original hardware.

The game looks even better than on Turrican3's screenshot if you have the correct resolution:

SWIV runs in a resolution of 320x256 pixels.
Hq2x doubles the width and the height resulting in 4 times the pixels: 640x512.
That's my resolution - and it fits perfect.
If you use 800x600 like turrican3 you have to stretch the image which still looks good due to hq2x but is slightly distorted.
I'll show you later...

Graham Humphrey 02 April 2008 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by TodaysForgotten (Post 405341)
I think if you shoot it 5 or 6(either way shooting it enough does explode) times it will explode the screen.

Thanks - that'll come in handy now I know that.

TodaysForgotten 02 April 2008 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by john4p (Post 405357)
Yes, I wanted to post a pic with hq2x, too. Since Saturday I also use hq2x.
It's the best Scaler available (well, along with hq3x and hq4x...)!

I now only use hq2x. But I have lots of respect for Kreed who created 2xSaI in the first place and made Neo Geo- and SNES-games look better on PC than on its original hardware.

The game looks even better than on Turrican3's screenshot if you have the correct resolution:

SWIV runs in a resolution of 320x256 pixels.
Hq2x doubles the width and the height resulting in 4 times the pixels: 640x512.
That's my resolution - and it fits perfect.
If you use 800x600 like turrican3 you have to stretch the image which still looks good due to hq2x but is slightly distorted.
I'll show you later...

I messed around with these with pcsx now im going to have to do this with other emulators. Great.

mailman 02 April 2008 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by TodaysForgotten (Post 405153)
Anyone know why my Winuae only keeps the scores of my first few games and then when i close out and reopen it never saves again?

Original SWIV does not save scores to disk. Only WHDLoad made it possible.

john4p 02 April 2008 20:04

Here is a shot of how my screen currently looks using hq2x:

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/4475/054ko7.png

I also tried 800x600 and stretching to fullscreen - but WinUAE took the screenshot wrong: the displayed area was partially off screen in the shot albeit being correctly displayed fullscreen while playing.

@TodaysForgotten: I think you still didn't truly experience the Amiga, because I bet your screen refresh rate is 60Hz, 75Hz or 85Hz. Thus you can never get perfect smooth scrolling since Amiga games ran at 50Hz.
You can use Powerstrip to select any resolution you want and set the screen refresh rate to 100Hz - even works perfect for TFTs. With 100Hz refresh rate you'll have perfectly smooth scrolling. Well, it's not that important for SWIV because it scrolls slow - but very important for games like Turrican.
Powerstrip is shareware but you can use it for unlimited time without any restrictions: Powerstrip website

@all: I vastly improved my score. Tip: after you've got 5-spread shot and 2 or 3 autofire powerups only collect the $-items. Your star-rating increases through collecting these $-items. And if you have 5 stars you are upgrade-independent because you'll still have the 5-spread shot after dying.
It's possible to already have 5 stars when you only have about 350k points!

Graham Humphrey 02 April 2008 21:11

Interesting tip, thanks.

turrican3 02 April 2008 22:55

yes, it looks better tnanks john4p :great

TodaysForgotten 02 April 2008 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by john4p (Post 405446)

@TodaysForgotten: I think you still didn't truly experience the Amiga, because I bet your screen refresh rate is 60Hz, 75Hz or 85Hz. Thus you can never get perfect smooth scrolling since Amiga games ran at 50Hz.
You can use Powerstrip to select any resolution you want and set the screen refresh rate to 100Hz - even works perfect for TFTs. With 100Hz refresh rate you'll have perfectly smooth scrolling. Well, it's not that important for SWIV because it scrolls slow - but very important for games like Turrican.
Powerstrip is shareware but you can use it for unlimited time without any restrictions: Powerstrip website

cool. Maybe in the future i'll check that out. I really have too many games and never play them, but i wonder now that you pointed that out will i sub-consciously be looking for stuttering... :( Ya i have a TN panel and a CRT monitor.

Mailman - i do use whdload i just cant figure out how to constantly save scores. Not really a huge deal since i'll never play any of these games again unless in a competition.

Shoonay 02 April 2008 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by john4p (Post 405446)
Powerstrip is shareware [...]

I'd suggest the totally free and much easier to configure RefreshLock 2.21 (15 Oct 2003) that even works on my Vista x64 ;)

Graham Humphrey 03 April 2008 00:17

My best go yet - got 49% of the way through so very close to the second boss...

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/7...vscore5tl2.jpg

@TodaysForgotten

You know you have to quit the game to save the highscores, right?

TodaysForgotten 03 April 2008 01:27

Graham - by quitting the game is there a "special" button that needs to be pressed or just ending a game?

Graham Humphrey 03 April 2008 01:32

You actually need to quit out totally - it should come up while the game is loading - a bit at the bottom of the window WHDLoad opens should say "Press [whatever key it is] to quit" - typically it's F10 or PrtSc, or something like that. Then it will save the scores.

ppill 03 April 2008 11:52

http://images24.fotosik.pl/189/15306f05349da9f0.png

blade002 04 April 2008 13:28

I can't compete in SWIV anymore. I have totally fucked my Workbench install just by simply installing AllegroCDFS !?!?.. and not only that but i need to do a complete reinstall of both Windows and Linux... what a fun fucked up weekend this is going to be :(