English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Hardware mods (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Expansion board for the CD32 (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=72361)

E-Penguin 03 June 2017 13:20

Can't see much use for an FPU on a CD³² but something to give IDE and some RAM would be marvellous. A disable-able 030 is a nice-to-have.

Maybe Ethernet?

kolla 03 June 2017 14:57

That's fine, no big deal, I will find some other solution :)

bubzombie 03 June 2017 16:36

I just registered to say I'd also like to see something for the CD32. I agree with Akira, I'd like to use it to play games and demos.
Storage and RAM sounds good to me, but really, anything would be better than nothing. I really hope you get around to it plasmab. Keep up the good work!

Stedy 14 June 2017 00:13

Hi,

I've been busy finishing off some other, non-Amiga related projects the last few months. This project is still on the development list. I have created a rise/shuttle board to provide a keyboard interface, Minimig SCART and serial debug. Once I finish testing the keyboard fimware, I'll release it. It will have the PCI slot connector so you can plug in one of plasmab's boards.

I'm still supporting the products I sell, had 150 ATX adaptor PCBs arrive today, more CDTV ones due next week and an updated floppy/gotek inteface is nearly ready. Too many projects, limited time and some decent weather reduce efforts.

Glen M 14 June 2017 10:51

All it needs is a simple 8mb fast ram expansion and a switch to disable that for compatibility issues

8mb I believe is the most the CD32 can address.

Doesn't need IDE or CF and doesn't need an 030. If it had a bit more ram we might actually see the true performance capabilities of the akikko.

Looking at the pinouts of the A1200 vs CD32 the first 80 or so pins are identical and these seem to be the ones that deal with memory. I'm sure its not that simple but if someone could knock up a simple ram expansion I'd jump at it.

Its a CD console and it reads CD-Rs without any issue. It doesn't need anything but a bit more ram.

plasmab 14 June 2017 10:55

I'm not getting a board made up with just a ram expansion on it because I would learn nothing from that board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glen M 14 June 2017 11:57

But as a cheap upgrade option from a purely games console perspective (in my opinion) a bit of fast ram is all thats needed.

Yeah it would be nice to have a new accelerator but and IDE etc etc but (again in my opinion) the 1200 is a better computer platform and as such is better suited to these things.

I read somewhere recently that the akikko with fast ram can equal the performance of an 040. While I seriously doubt that I'd be interested to see just how fast it could go.

plasmab 14 June 2017 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen M (Post 1164884)
But as a cheap upgrade option from a purely games console perspective (in my opinion) a bit of fast ram is all thats needed.

Yeah it would be nice to have a new accelerator but and IDE etc etc but (again in my opinion) the 1200 is a better computer platform and as such is better suited to these things.

I read somewhere recently that the akikko with fast ram can equal the performance of an 040. While I seriously doubt that I'd be interested to see just how fast it could go.

The last part is nonsense. An 030 @50mhz with burst on and static RAM is about half the speed of an 040. I know because I built one!

There is no reason that we can't have accelerators that work in the CD32 and A1200 now that the PCI connector adapters are being designed. Open source and cheap ones too.

Amiga1992 14 June 2017 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stedy (Post 1164834)
It will have the PCI slot connector so you can plug in one of plasmab's boards.

Wait, what about the kipper one we have here and spidi's? They are not PCI.
Also I thought the PCI adpater was for A1200 connectors?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen M (Post 1164878)
Doesn't need IDE or CF and doesn't need an 030.

IDE is a necessity especially if you add RAM. You can access a LOT more games through the hard drive, and you can immediately put the extra RAM to use in that way.

Just what do you want to do with RAM and 8MB of RAM and no IDE? Play a game off CD that doesn't even exist? Nobody is going to develop shit for a CD32 with 8MB of RAM. Ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasmab (Post 1164912)
There is no reason that we can't have accelerators that work in the CD32 and A1200 now that the PCI connector adapters are being designed. Open source and cheap ones too.

Again I am confused. The PCI adapter was for an A1200 port. Wasn't it? Are you referring to this?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...da8d396178.jpg

Because that edge connector does not fit the CD32.

There are already two adapters out there, spidi's and kipper's that do not use a PCI edge to connect an expansion, just the standard CD32 connector. Any board can be etched to just have that amount of pins, no need for it to be PCI.
It would be terrible to have expansions that don't work with adapters two developers already produced to make the job of expansion devs easier. Please everyone work with what we have already!

Also if the connector doesn't go back in a loop like spidi's and kipper's adapter makes you, you have some annoying shit lying out the back of the CD32 and I surely hope this is not happening.

plasmab 14 June 2017 14:49

Expansion board for the CD32

Kipper = PCI connector for A1200
Steady = PCI connector for CD32. (Looped inside yes)

Me = boards that work in both.

Everyone = Happy

Amiga1992 14 June 2017 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasmab (Post 1164922)
Steady = PCI connector for CD32. (Looped inside yes)

He didn't do that adapter, or am I missing something? This is the confusion I have. The only PCI thing I've seen is the A1200 one kipper sent to you. There's no "CD32 to PCI" edge adapter.

There's only TWO adapters for CD32, both are not PCI
One made by kipper:
http://www.kipper2k.com/cd32/adapter_back.jpg

and one made by spidi:
https://retro.7-bit.pl/foto/CD32ExpansionSlot_M.JPG

You can get these now, almost, or possibly.

Why make a third one with another form factor? This seems ludicrous.

alexh 14 June 2017 15:14

Eh? What is all this talk about PCI?

The CD32 edge connector is a 182-pin interface physically compatible with what was once known as VESA Micro Channel (MCA).

All existing expansion boards for the CD32 are physically compatible with 182-pin MCA

They are NOT PCI

plasmab 14 June 2017 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 1164928)
He didn't do that adapter, or am I missing something? This is the confusion I have. The only PCI thing I've seen is the A1200 one kipper sent to you. There's no "CD32 to PCI" edge adapter.

One made by kipper:

and one made by spidi:

It's in flight as far as I was aware. I will make one if his isn't ready when I have a board to test.

I really don't care what you think is ludicrous. Having one form factor for 2 machines seems way more sensible than the alternatives. I will be making boards for the PCI form factor.

alenppc 14 June 2017 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 1164928)

One made by kipper:

and one made by spidi:

I also have Kipper's adapter pictured above with the Amiga 23-pin video out connector. Without it, I would be forced to use composite video out, so I'd say it's essential.

I don't think it's a good idea to add another form factor to the CD32 considering that the standard connectors pictured above can still be purchased.

plasmab 14 June 2017 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by alenppc (Post 1164932)
I also have Kipper's adapter pictured above with the Amiga 23-pin video out connector. Without it, I would be forced to use composite video out, so I'd say it's essential.

I don't think it's a good idea to add another form factor to the CD32 considering that the standard connectors pictured above can still be purchased.

Don't care. Not making 2 different boards for the CD32 and 1200. If you think that's a bad idea don't get one. I will not be making an MCA-182 board for the CD32. Period

The idea was to puta vga connector on the PCI adapter. But I guess it's moot now. I'll not bother with the CD32 since everything is a bad idea.

Amiga1992 14 June 2017 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasmab (Post 1164933)
Don't care. Not making 2 different boards for the CD32 and 1200. If you think that's a bad idea don't get one. I will not be making an MCA-182 board for the CD32. Period

The idea was to puta vga connector on the PCI adapter. But I guess it's moot now. I'll not bother with the CD32 since everything is a bad idea.

Why are you so aggressive? I was asking for clarification.
And it is a bad idea to do something that needs yet another adapter that nobody has yet made.

So did you make a PCI adapter for the MCA-182 adapter or not? Because the two already available aren't that, and to make a PCI adapter you still need at least one MCA-182 socket to connect to the CD32.

Also if I am not wrong. I can't "get" one of yours because it doesn't exist, and also your designs are open source and people are making their own, correct? Or will you be producing some boards? If so definitely interested.

But you gotta clarify what is going on instead of aggressively answering me with no reason to do so.

plasmab 14 June 2017 16:11

Because then I need to make a whole new board for the CD32.

Instead of having a cheap adapter that can use the board I'm going to make for the A1200 anyway. An accelerator is more complicated to make than the adapter.

plasmab 14 June 2017 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 1164938)
Why are you so aggressive?

But you gotta clarify what is going on instead of aggressively answering me with no reason to do so.

I am not being aggressive. Apologies if it seems that way. I have canvassed opinions on the CD32 expansions and found that basically everyone likes the idea of one but no two people want the same thing. I don't see that it makes any difference if it's an MCA or PCI connector.

But when people tell me things I want to do are ludicrous then I will tell them that my stuff is not for them.

My boards are for my own amusement.

alexh 14 June 2017 16:28

I imagine that the signals on each side of the A1200->PCI probably don't match the signals on the corresponding side of the CD32 MCA-182 connector?

If they had, you *MAY* have been able to solve this by simply having two edge connectors (PCI & MCA) on your accelerator both with the same signals.

Similar to some Individual Computing expansions.

plasmab 14 June 2017 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexh (Post 1164945)
I imagine that the signals on each side of the A1200->PCI probably don't match the signals on the corresponding side of the CD32 MCA-182 connector?

If they had, you *MAY* have been able to solve this by simply having two edge connectors (PCI & MCA) on your accelerator both with the same signals.

Similar to some Individual Computing expansions.

They do. The MCA has more signals but they can be consumed on the riser (I.e audio, serial, video)