English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Hardware pics (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   My new SSD! Transcend 4Gb IDE Flash Module (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=66971)

Cammy 13 December 2012 20:59

I have wondered for a while if SSDs require the special 0x1FE00 MaxTransfer setting as CFs, or if they are fine to be left with the default setting? Will the SSD experience read errors on larger files, just as CFs do with an incorrect MaxTransfer setting?

Also I'm curious which filesystem you installed on your SSD?

Amiga1992 13 December 2012 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag (Post 855883)
If I were to put together an A1200 just for running games with WHDLoad I'd have no problems with a CF card whatsoever, if it dies, no biggie, it's all replaceable. But if it was with my own data, oh boy would I suffer a loss.

This is why I have the external PCMCIA device. I usually keep data both there and in the internal CF drive, to never lose a thing.

Jope 13 December 2012 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cammy (Post 855895)
I have wondered for a while if SSDs require the special 0x1FE00 MaxTransfer setting as CFs, or if they are fine to be left with the default setting? Will the SSD experience read errors on larger files, just as CFs do with an incorrect MaxTransfer setting?

You will need to set 0x1fe00 with any modern disk/cf/ssd. Ancient ATA-1 drives do not need it, but just about anything made after the mid-90s will.

Mrs Beanbag 14 December 2012 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cammy (Post 855895)
Also I'm curious which filesystem you installed on your SSD?

Just FFS international mode, I didn't have any other, anyway I read journaling file systems aren't ideal on SSDs because they increase the number of writes. Although I also read the opposite, hey ho, but I reasoned with an SSD many of the drawbacks of FFS would disappear anyway.

Amiga1992 14 December 2012 00:37

I wouldn't use FFS, even though SSDs are nice and dandy, they can still suffer from those shitty checksum errors, whenever any program crashes and might have even hinted at writing at your hard drive. And the larger the drive is, the worse the wait is for the checksum check to finish (even if you have no errors, this problem alone made me switch to SFS).

You should change.

Mrs Beanbag 14 December 2012 13:29

Maybe you are right, although I never had any problems with it. But that would mean another complete re-install, wouldn't it?

demolition 14 December 2012 14:27

It means wiping the partitions, but you could just back up your old WB install and copy it back in the new partition. When I switched to SFS, I LHA'd my Workbench: drive, copied it to the PCMCIA CF card and after prepping the card with SFS, I used WinUAE to extract all files back to the partition.

Amiga1992 14 December 2012 14:34

Yes, I know it is a pain in the rear end, but totally worth it. I kept getting checksum errors and corrupting my CF.

Mrs Beanbag 14 December 2012 23:05

Well if that happens, I'll change ASAP. But it never happened once on my old HDD, well, *touches wood*.

Not convinced SFS is the best choice for SSD mind you, the online defragmentation is unnecessary to say the least. I have been mentally designing my own special SSD log-structured filesystem, so if I can work out how to do it... needs more research.