English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Whatever happened to the ST haters ? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=6134)

Jim 01 September 2002 22:04

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Creosote
Jim: Here you are with the reply you expect: UAE is Linux native, what other games do you need? :P If you really want to play DOS games, well, I already said there are (good) DOS emulators. And since the gaming world stopped in 1995 for me anyway, there is nothing else as far as I'm concerned.

I was actually talking about modern PC games ! I'm happy with the Amiga-games side. I still do like some modern PC flight sims & strategy games.

Fred the Fop 02 September 2002 00:26

Wow Jim! Me too. IL-2 Sturmovik, Sudden Strike, Panzer General 3D. Love those games.

Mr Creosote 02 September 2002 16:20

There are modern strategy games? That's the newest thing I hear about! Last time I checked, all that was produced was stupid brainless action - ranging from Doom clones to Dune 2 clones. :scream Panzer General 3D was released back in 1995 or 1996 if I remember correctly ;)

Fred the Fop 02 September 2002 18:22

Mr Creosote, there are a number of superb NON SPACE CRAP/ FANTASY GARBAGE PUKE RTS games. Just go to Gamesdomain.com and do a looksie:)
And PG 3D Assault was released in 1999.

Freakyweakywoo 18 October 2004 17:40

I was going to start an new thread about this but as this is a perfectly good one I'll continue it.

Back in early 90's the school yards were divided into the Amiga users and the ST users. I was an Amiga user, and I hated the ST for it was as far as I could tell an inferior machine. Nothing over these long long years has changed that. The ST was and still is rubbish compared to the Amiga, right?

So anymore ST haters want to stick there heads out?

BippyM 18 October 2004 18:06

Well I was the only Amiga user in my school (that I was aware of) back then, and there were a few ST owners, but most were megadrive GB owners so I was the outcast :(

A few years later one guy (an avid megadrive/gb user who slated the Amiga) popped round to see if I had any Amiga games he could buy, he had seen the light and brought himself a 600 :D

Bamiga2002 18 October 2004 18:48

Yes there really was this Amiga VS Atari ST war going on. My friend had Atari ST and he always told me how superb it was and all. I told him Amiga was the way to go. But we never hated each other, it was just the computers. I played with the ST on my friend's house and gotta admit that Gauntlet II was better on ST than on Amiga. Put that aside, i still didn't like ST ;)

Well, later on my friend purchased an A500 with 2mb of RAM and was showing it off to me who only had 1mb of RAM :p

Then after 2 years, he became a PC person, DAMNED! :scream

Tolismlf 20 November 2004 12:14

hey the ST was an average machine for games. Average programs, with some fanatic users. You cannot compare this with an Amiga. For long and unfairly the Amiga was in ST's shadow due to Commodore's policy. Especially in the UK. But people understood the power of the Amiga. This home computer couldn't compare with the Amiga after the extra Ami power was released. Then the ST scene simpy said "Bye bye cruel world". The Amiga scene still in some strange way breathes..

amigaade 20 November 2004 13:07

Remember almost fighting in a shop with an ATARI ST user. (calm down,calm down)
Thats really sad....there was just as much shite on AMIGA despite the extra capabilities, just another example of BRAND BRAINWASHING.
(PS2 sells better than other consoles besides being 3rd in technology & rehashed games...through a percieved loyalty)
If the games played as well as they looked on Amiga compared to ST....they didn't.
That's why suckers buy the latest phones, not to make a phonecall (which is what a phone is for???) but to brag about all the other gadgets built in.
Things never change.....the sins of the father etc.

tomcat666 20 November 2004 18:13

All my friends apart from one had Amiga. The one with the ST had a few games but they weren't much. Around 1 year later he also got the Amiga.
Now if I look back I would love to see some games which were 8-bit and ST-only on my miggy... things like :

Where Time Stood Still
StarQuake
Oids
Super Sprint

Didn't Galahad start conversion of some of these ??? How is that going on ?

Npl 20 November 2004 18:24

I never had much grief with ST-Owners, dint knew many. Some where using it for the inbuilt MIDI, but thats it.

My grief back then was with Console-Owners - NES, Genesis, Snes (and of course the "Quick-and-Dirty OS" MSDOS Computers ). How in hell could anyone buy one of this?
The first Console worth my money was the Playstation. I couldnt jump over my own Shadow to buy a PC until late `99.

Fred the Fop 21 November 2004 01:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Npl
I never had much grief with ST-Owners, dint knew many. Some where using it for the inbuilt MIDI, but thats it.

My grief back then was with Console-Owners - NES, Genesis, Snes (and of course the "Quick-and-Dirty OS" MSDOS Computers ). How in hell could anyone buy one of this?

Ummm let me seeeee.
Maybe because they were fun, and because they had thousands of good or great games that never appeared on Amiga.

Tolismlf 21 November 2004 06:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred the Duck
Ummm let me seeeee.
Maybe because they were fun, and because they had thousands of good or great games that never appeared on Amiga.

:p

DoomMaster 21 November 2004 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tolismlf
:p

I have always owned BOTH Atari ST and Amiga computers. They are both great machines. I could never understand the stupid little war that was going on between the Atari ST and Amiga owners. To me, both sides were idiots. Today I own 5 Amigas and 5 Atari ST computers. To be honest with you guys, I actually find myself using my Atari ST computers more then my Amiga computers.

dwood 21 November 2004 12:50

the st

had fewer good games than the amiga and way worse sound. though i did notice the st had 'sharper' graphics. one of my favorite early games i believe illustrates that. very nice graphics but dodgy sound. battlemaster by pss. many early amiga games where direct st ports.

petza 02 September 2005 18:33

Same

:)

Parsec 03 September 2005 01:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim
Does anyone else feel like this ?

Or am I the only Amiga-loving Atari-hating person left in the world ?

Nah they were rubbish. Stupid green desktop and buzzing bee icon :p

The only thing I envied was that game that was like Thrust but with better graphics. The Games Machine mag had it all over the front cover one month (issue 6?) and it pissed me off waiting so long for them to port it, which they never did.

lopos2000 03 September 2005 02:02

Didn't ATARI ST came up with the first in build MIDI interface?

Fenrir 03 September 2005 11:01

Nice one. During my mid-schools we were completely consumed by the Ami-ST debate. To say the truth, a few people had amigas/STs back then because they were really, really freaking expensive and the C64 was still all the rage. But I remember fighting a lot with a guy who had the ST and I was always cringing because, as a laser game lover (still am :D), the ST version of Dragon's Lair was unbelievably better than the Amiga one. First of all, it was the COMPLETE game, not chunks 'n bits like the Amiga DL, DL Time Warp and Space Ace. And the graphics were crispier and better. I was in awe and believed that the ST was better than the Amiga until the guy kinda disappeared from 1990 on, when I begun having the best games around and he still played Maniac Mansion (the ST version kinda rocked) and Monkey Island over and over again.
Amiga is far better, though the Atarians managed to have some slightly better games for some reasons. A drop in the sea, anyway.

BippyM 03 September 2005 11:06

Atari was on the scene with an affordable computer before Commodore.

It wasn't until about 1990/1991 that the Amiga came into its own and started to dominate the market!