English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Amiga Power crew? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=10762)

Marlon 08 August 2003 23:36

Quote:

Originally posted by manicx
So you consider that my calling you a "bounder" and a "cad" was an insult and not in any way ironic? YOU sir, I venture, are no gentleman!

Mark Wright 09 August 2003 01:28

Quote:

Originally posted by manicx
:laughing Runty! AP was the runtiest piece of journalism ever. No surprises that it was among the first magazines to go down. Nothing compared to CU or AmigaActive. The former was the Amiga flag in the past, the later the Amiga flag in late 90s early 00s... End of story (hey I like that, it reminds me a bit the AP attitude, we say it is the best, and f*ck what the others say)...
Incidentally (Great place that Cidentally - Ed.) this post reminds me to admonish you for a gargantuam display of hypocrisy ON YOUR PART. Before you scold others for using "expressions to attack people" (as cited in another post) perhaps you'd care to clarify what on the Earth of Earth "runty" actually means?

It's clear others have ignored it PURPOSELY for fear of displaying their ignorance, but in light of your "at least I haven't said anything bad about anybody" defence, I'd like to hear what it means.

It certainly sounds rude.

I leave you with these thoughts:

"I am an administrator myself in a community with 1200+ members and people like you are just banned."

Cripes. So you ban anyone who disagrees with you? Let's all stay away from manicx's virtual online parties then, eh? It'd be like bringing your own bottle IN ORDER TO SLASH YOUR WRISTS.

S. Campbell 11 August 2003 10:15

Quote:

Originally posted by Echo
Don't ever offer a different opinion to Stuart Campbell on a forum - he's actually an argumentative sod :eek
No I'm not.

Steve 11 August 2003 10:17

Quote:

Originally posted by S. Campbell
No I'm not.
:lol :)

Peanutuk 11 August 2003 16:03

Yeah!

What a great thread, I especially liek the way in which the discussion has taken on the same name calling and complete inability to deal with irony which AP's "competition" suffered from.

AP was the best computer magazine of all time - not just for the Amiga. Those who disagree should be damed to the hell populated by ("Currant Bun" - Ed) and ("Michael Jackson" - Ed).

Peanutuk 11 August 2003 16:04

AND ANOTHER THING.......

......we should all be banned.

CodyJarrett 11 August 2003 16:22

Re: AND ANOTHER THING.......

Quote:

Originally posted by Peanutuk
......we should all be banned.
Natch.

Peanutuk 11 August 2003 16:24

AND ANOTHER THING...

Most people here like Edge. I don't mind it, I would like it more if it didn't break one certain obvious 'golden' rule.

Just one look at the mug-shot thread on this forum suggests that people who spend alot of time in front of computers aren't the best looking individuals ever to grace the Earth. Likewise, programmers, who spend even longer (I know!) in front of such devices are proportionally uglier. Why then does Edge think it needs to publish pictures of such individuals? It just looks sad.
Furthermore, why is there any need what so ever for paper based computer magazines? I know all the rubbish about a book being literally 'handier' then the .net but surely the ideal medium for a computer magazine is the internet. 'Digiworld', despite wanting to make me hurl the monitor through a window (I mean, what the @@@@ is going on?), relises this. It won't work, and in a years time someone will produce a flashy content free version full of pictures of programmers (pay extra to see the 'full spread') but at least they are trying.

Anyway......

CodyJarrett 11 August 2003 16:36

The problem is that the internet encourages laziness in research and writing. It's very hard to verify sources of information, grammar and spelling is poor and rumours spread very quickly. Websites also tend to use data from other websites, thus spreading factual errors (see all the cheat websites).

While paper-based magazines are not error-free, I tend to trust their writing much more, as they are often closer to the source and much more care has been put into their production.

Paper-based writers are usually professionals, while internet writers tend to be people who do it in their spare time. Of course, when it's correct internet reporting is more timely.

killergorilla 11 August 2003 16:50

I personally like the use of both internet and magazines.

It is true that news on the internet is far quicker and more uptodate but you always tend to find that articles are just rehashes of press-releases that have been copied from site to site without any personal touches or opinions.

I like to read EDGE because it's got a lot of stuff in it that relates to the games/interactive media industries as well as the games themselves. Most other magazines don't offer a look at the industry, just the rivalry between different consoles/computers.

I like magazines! (and the net as well)

That concludes my non-conclusive conclusion.

Peanutuk 11 August 2003 16:50

Well...

Perhaps there is market to combine the strengths of the two.

lordsnooty 11 August 2003 22:37

Having worked in the industry for a number of years, I no longer believe anything written by any computer journalist upon any subject.

There is so much bribery and pissing about on the part of the Evil and Corrupt games companies, that even with the best of intentions, most journalists just write a complete load of cock. And no mistake.

Peanutuk 11 August 2003 22:43

I haven't bought a computer magazine for nearly ten years. I had been buying them since I six.

Once you understand what lordsnooty has made apparent there really isn't much point. Most mags are for the masterbating illiterate.

CodyJarrett 11 August 2003 23:11

Vast generalisations are always and at all times false.

lordsnooty 11 August 2003 23:19

To which generalisation do you refer?

CodyJarrett 11 August 2003 23:20

All of them!

Peanutuk 11 August 2003 23:42

You're just being argumentative Cody, as always.

7-Zark-7 12 August 2003 05:24

Quote:

Originally posted by S. Campbell
No I'm not.
If it is the genuine ex-miggy journo,then may I suggest we say Welcome to EAB!:shocked :)

Dizzy 12 August 2003 05:36

Quote:

Originally posted by 7-Zark-7
If it is the genuine ex-miggy journo,then may I suggest we say Welcome to EAB!:shocked :)
It's not :cheese

CodyJarrett 12 August 2003 08:01

Actually, it is.