English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Apps (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   MUI Keyfile (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=37249)

Retrofan 12 January 2014 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedskullDC (Post 912697)
Hi funK,

Similar, but not identical to the 020 optimised version released on Aminet.

At the time I last worked on it (2001), I made up a version of the muimaster.library which didn't require the keyfile to enable all functionality.

Cheers,
Red

Anybody knows where can I get that library ?

Bamiga2002 13 January 2014 06:57

I also have the generic MUI keyfile that I bought. I'd like to get a personal one but this will have to do for now.

RedskullDC 13 January 2014 08:51

Hi Retrofan, et al.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrofan (Post 932599)

We're waiting to hear back from Stefan to see whether he would object to it being uploaded here.

Prowler: 3 months has elapsed since we last discussed this.
Any response from Stefan?

Cheers,
Red

prowler 13 January 2014 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedskullDC (Post 932661)
Prowler: 3 months has elapsed since we last discussed this.
Any response from Stefan?

Cheers,
Red

Hi Red,

I'm sorry to disappoint, but I've been very busy and must admit to having completely forgotten about this in the meantime.

I'm still willing to do this and, since TCD is now a GM once again, I'll see if he can help me write something more persuasive than what I have prepared so far. (Yes, did get some way with this before it slipped my mind. :))

ShK 16 January 2014 20:17

Stefan Stuntz sent me today a temporary MUI key. He promised to send later a personal key. He must get his A3000 repaired first. :)

About MagicWB he says that "no chance anymore"...

duga 16 January 2014 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShK (Post 933261)
Stefan Stuntz sent me today a temporary MUI key. He promised to send later a personal key. He must get his A3000 repaired first. :)

About MagicWB he says that "no chance anymore"...

It's been broken for years IIRC.

mfilos 17 January 2014 00:28

@ShK
I wouldn't be so optimistic mate :)

Just for the fun part, I thought of sending one more mail (now that I saw he responded to you) to remind him of my registration @ 2008. I saw a reply of him really soon but sadly the response was the EXACT same template he used on one of my friends on 2007!!!

Can you spot the difference (apart from Yahoo and GMail) lol?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...gistration.jpg

I wonder if indeed his A3000 is broken, how difficult would be for him to mount the hard drive to a PC via WinUAE and have his system up and running in no time.
Oh well...

Bamiga2002 17 January 2014 06:05

Maybe it just wasn't a mil-spec A3000, and is completely trashed?

ShK 18 January 2014 06:56

@mfilos:

I got exactly the same email. MagicWB comment was in another email.

RedskullDC 20 January 2014 09:22

People paying a license fee/subscription/whatever have a reasonable expectation of receiving a personalised key.

Providing a generic Key for the last 6+ years, not to mention the generic response email posted above, shows what can only be termed "disregard" for the paying customers.

I'd call it contempt, but that is just my opinion.

Will be interesting to see if Stefan will be prepared to make it available for free to the Amiga community (and be a hero), or continue to milk it for all it's worth?

Having said that...

In the end, it's Stefan's code to do with as he will.

Cheers,
Red

P.S. I bought a copy of MUI back in 2001, for which I received a personalised key.

PeterK 20 January 2014 09:44

For all of you who don't have a MUI.key file:

Enable the option "test mode" in Prefs/MUI and after changing any MUI settings or before you shutdown your system, just execute this:

Copy >NIL: ENV:MUI ENVARC:MUI ALL NOREQ

zekstra 23 January 2014 13:17

Here is a question:
As I paid (and have proof - PAYPAL) for MUI, is it legal for someone to share his/her GENERIC MUI KEY with me?
I have not received KEY from Stefan, yet!

Sandro 23 January 2014 15:06

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrofan (Post 932599)

try this, it doesn't need a key

Retrofan 23 January 2014 20:50

Yep, that library works.
Don't take me wrong. I have the key since when it was "available". I don't like to use pirate keys that are still for sale, but I don't find normal to wait for Stefan Stuntz to come back from the mountains every half a year to send a generic one to you.

I wonder if we could start a bounty for the key to be shareware. I believe he won't ask much for it.

Michael 23 February 2014 19:58

Anybody wants MUI 3.9+ for 68K ? I think it would have made more sense if it was made public since it exists for many years in different flavours.

gulliver 23 February 2014 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 939793)
Anybody wants MUI 3.9+ for 68K ? I think it would have made more sense if it was made public since it exists for many years in different flavours.

If you want it to be real, just create a bounty to have an optimised Zune port from Aros to AmigaOS 3.x and you will get something even better, an open source fast MUI alternative. In its current state Zune Aros 68k, has a lot of Aros dependencies, and does not seem particularly optimised

James 23 February 2014 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 939793)

Yes, it has already existed for a long time, but been kept from us:

http://ann.lu/comments2.cgi?view=109...rum&start=1&37

The early MOS MUI betas also had many 68k components, newer 68k versions of Busy.mcc/mcp and Listree.mcp can still be found here:

http://morphos-files.net/download/Old_MUI4

spookt 26 February 2014 21:36

Hmm, I sent a reg request and PayPal payment a couple of weeks back for MUI and have heard nothing so I guess I shouldn't be expecting anything.

Wonder what will happen if I file a dispute with PayPal to reclaim my money :(

spookt 27 February 2014 09:15

Well - I raised a dispute with PayPal last night and this morning I find the following email from Stefan waiting in my inbox:

Quote:

please let me apologize for the delay in handling your
registration. due to a hardware failure of my good old a3000, i am
unable to create personalized keyfiles at the moment. when i manage to
repair it, you will get one immediately.

until then, please use the keyfile attached to this email. it's David
Gerber's key (co-author of Voyager and AmIRC), he allowed me to use it
for this purpose. please do not spread it, even if it's not your name.
MUI will be unlocked just as it would with your personalized keyfile,
just copy to s: and reboot.

thanks for ordering and thanks for your patience,
stefan
This is the same mail he's sending out to everyone else it seems, so his A3000 is still broken :D

At least I have a keyfile now.

Bamiga2002 27 February 2014 13:55

Sometimes a little push does wonders :)
PS. I'm also still waiting for my personalized keyfile...