English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Coders. General (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   GLHexen2 Warpos. (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=87238)

grelbfarlk 16 June 2017 02:29

Excellent work as always Cowcat. Now do Quake 3 or any of HunoPPC's ports, RTCW, Aliens Versus Predator 2000 would also be acceptable :D

Cowcat 16 June 2017 10:01

grelbfarlk: You asked in November about taking a look at Hexen2 code. :)

New ports ....

OK. Besides a stupid bad function optimization I did that doesn't show text on screen for "showfps", there's a bug in Hexen2 that shows too in original 68k version with timedemos. For example demo1 usually crashes going to the end of it. Sometimes sooner or later, sometimes you can finish it but leaves the game in a state that when you finish gaming it shows a guru/crash.

Sometimes you get lucky to grab an output on console:

Code:

Host_Error: CL_ParseServerMessage Illegible server message..
another.

Code:

Host_Error: CL_ParseServerMessage:  SVC_UPDATENAME > MAX_CLIENTS
About shadow code: Where I can find a list of the texture names for the weapons, etc. Something can be done to "flag" those to check if they have to be shadowed or not.

grelbfarlk 17 June 2017 01:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowcat (Post 1165317)
grelbfarlk: You asked in November about taking a look at Hexen2 code. :)

New ports ....

I know and just seven short months later look what we have! Awesomeness! How about this, this is so easy, just add sound to Amidog's 3.x version FPSE, nothing else (maybe look into why HW acceleration doesn't work too).

Cowcat 17 June 2017 10:07

Quote:

I know and just seven short months later look what we have!
In fact I had a raw build without sound or mouse support for some time, but didn't feel it was ok to be distributed.

Also I have some of the stuff from amidog "vbcc" rebuilded but don't tell anyone about that. :blased

Would like to redo old FPSE, but the only available source are the plugins, not the principal program that seems to be shared only to some developers. Maybe on an old hard-drive I have something from the 2000.

Don't know if Amidog would crush my skeleton for re-building his old warpos programs.:o

grelbfarlk 18 June 2017 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowcat (Post 1165576)
In fact I had a raw build without sound or mouse support for some time, but didn't feel it was ok to be distributed.

Also I have some of the stuff from amidog "vbcc" rebuilded but don't tell anyone about that. :blased

Would like to redo old FPSE, but the only available source are the plugins, not the principal program that seems to be shared only to some developers. Maybe on an old hard-drive I have something from the 2000.

Don't know if Amidog would crush my skeleton for re-building his old warpos programs.:o

Amidog encouraged me to go ahead and do whatever with his source, which for me was to stare at it a while then go watch a bird out the window. His source for SOPE is available though.

Cowcat 18 June 2017 09:08

:lol

grelbfarlk 21 June 2017 04:20

I think you should let me try your VBCC rebuilt versions for "Quality Assurance," "Legacy Compatibility," and "Religious Observance" reasons.

BSzili 22 July 2017 17:56

I think I found the reason for the Barbican slowdown. When it has no target the ballista enemy keeps doing expensive tracelines for the player to see if he is visible, even when it's not even in the PVS. I'm pretty sure this is an oversight, because in other places there are checks for the PVS or it only checks the visibility of entities in a certain radius.
I'll make a new progs.dat and test if it fixes the problem without breaking the ballista AI :D

Cowcat 22 July 2017 21:30

Hi BSzili. Keep on it !

Good to see that there's movement on uhexen github on your side & I'm applying some of this new stuff to see what's goin' on.

I did some for the problematic shadows: To this day even new mods with all effects enabled and those shadows still absolutely wrong. The culprit are two things: Wrong rotating code and "weird" entities used by weapons for the player. Necromacer is the most obvious. So basically the undesired entities are checked and a flag is raised, all controled by a cvar that can be manipulated at will before loading time. Some of this stuff is similar to the one I did with BlitzQuake -> "gl_model.c".

But well, I know I'm late to share my code. Hope to give you something to see soon.

And a new beta with some fixes and added stuff like, wireframe modes , triplebuffer screen, some optimizations, non fixed "change videomodes" (but getting there), etc.
The usual :spin

Cowcat 22 July 2017 21:35

By the way still some problems with timedemos :

another grab:

Code:

HOST_ERROR = CL_ParseUpdate : Bad Modnum

BSzili 23 July 2017 09:35

Yeah, I recently resumed work on the 68k version, trying to make it playable. You can verify my idea if you start a coop server with Barbican on a different machine, and connect from the Amiga to see if the framerate is good. Fixing this is won't be as easy as I thought, because QuakeC is kind of an oddball language, but caching the last linetrace result improved things a bit.
I'm interested to see what you have there too, I haven't really touched GLHexen2 at all recently. I'm not sure about the timedemo problem, I didn't have this issue myself.

Cowcat 24 July 2017 20:18

Found the culprit of hangs with timedemos (at least in my non released beta :D):

In fact happens in game -just use crusader with "sunstaff" weapon for example or when a wizard attacks you : possible crash in game or most likely when closing game-.

Particles.

Load game with the minimum "-particles 512". The maxparticles used by default ( a wooping 7000) exceed minigl vertexbuffers.

Hope this bug ends for the time being. Or wait for new bugs in the next build.:crazy

Cowcat 25 July 2017 12:32

:spin

Hedeon 05 August 2017 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowcat (Post 1173981)
:spin

Very playable. Also no longer crashes during timedemos. Effects seem better too. With particles at 64 it plays at 34, 35 and 40 fps during the timedemos 1,2 & 3.

Cowcat 06 August 2017 10:43

Quote:

Very playable
Soon in the Sonnet Wiki Hall of Fame :agree?

Still more stuff is updated following the changes of GitHub, already added the use of mglMinTriArea to further optimize display mode (elim_areasize), etc, etc.

As for problematic shadows, I use PakExplorer & QME (quake 2 model editor) to find the offending stuff: Some of the models use various undetermined/weird figures at the same time.

trixster 20 August 2017 13:10

Latest beta working well here :great

Hedeon 20 August 2017 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowcat (Post 1176539)
Soon in the Sonnet Wiki Hall of Fame :agree?

Somebody already did :-)

Cowcat 21 August 2017 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedeon (Post 1179506)
Somebody already did :-)

That cracked me up
:crazy :cheese :cheese :cheese

grelbfarlk 02 September 2017 18:28

While testing other stuff I noticed that with this last version 16-bit 44khz audio works fine on the FM801, and doesn't seem to be distorting sounds like in Quake 2.

Cowcat 02 September 2017 19:03

The only thing I changed in the audio code was the alignment for a structure that is also used on the 68k part of the AHI code.

Basically:

Code:

#if defined(__WOS__)
#pragma amiga-align
#endif

struct AHIChannelInfo
{
        struct AHIEffChannelInfo aeci;
        ULONG offset;
};

#if defined(__WOS__)
#pragma default-align
#endif

Didn't feel that something changed, but that kind of alignment was used in BlitzQuake/AHI, so I considered this a fix or the "proper way".

Well, nobody besides BSzili has the whole code, but Q2 has a similar approach & probably this "fix" could be done in the future (didn't know about the distortion).