English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   apollo 1260 problems (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=51481)

Philophus 18 March 2010 01:23

CPU type (MC) or (XC) is irrelevant......it should work with both if capable.
My Apollo runs at 80mhz with either the MC68060rc50 or the XC68060rc60 that i keep for a spare CPU, although the XC variant runs a lot hotter.
CLKGen is set to CLK, CLK jumper is set to 040 which is half ram speed.
This is my 3rd Apollo and i seriously doubt the integrity of your 060 CPU ('s)

THis reply was aimed at 8bitbubsy and his apollo problems...apologies for the thread hijack...i'm new and will learn .....

Nikolaj_sofus 18 March 2010 07:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefcep2 (Post 652733)
FWIW my Apollo 1240 died, but PG resurrected it by converting it to a 1260 that would only run a 40 mhz. We never worked out why its stopped working as a 1240 in the first place, but the original 80 mhz crystal fell off the board (it wasn't soldered by the manufacture) whilst it was powered up which probably wasn't a good thing. Anyway my 1260 runs at 40 mhz-haven't tried 66 mhz or more-which AIBB tells me is 25% faster than a 1240@40 mhz. Good enough.

my apollo 1260 board did also only run at 40 mhz from the start.
I moved the CLKEN resistor from GND to CLK and now it runs at 50 and 66 mhz with the clock jumper set to 040.

it does run quite hot tho' and crashes after about 2-2½ hour of uptime.
This is at 50 mhz running in a standard a 1200 case.
The CPU is a rev. 6 cpu.

Can anyone tell me if it is normal behavior for some rev. 6 cpu's to run that hot? or is it a general problem running 060's in a standard a1200 case?

stefcep2 18 March 2010 07:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikolaj_sofus (Post 652814)
my apollo 1260 board did also only run at 40 mhz from the start.
I moved the CLKEN resistor from GND to CLK and now it runs at 50 and 66 mhz with the clock jumper set to 040.

it does run quite hot tho' and crashes after about 2-2½ hour of uptime.
This is at 50 mhz running in a standard a 1200 case.
The CPU is a rev. 6 cpu.

Can anyone tell me if it is normal behavior for some rev. 6 cpu's to run that hot? or is it a general problem running 060's in a standard a1200 case?

Thanks for the hardware mod tip, but I don't wanna risk it!!

Back in the day when these things were new, the only possible issue was not having enough power from the std a1200 power supply, in terms of heat the '060's supposedly did not need a fan or even heat sink. But these things are not new anymore so its anybodys guess what is the heat tolerance of a 15 year old plus chip that has clocked possibly thousands of hours of who knows what sort of use.

Personally i consider myself lucky that I have a working, fast accelerator that lets me run all my software at more or less as fast as most 68k Amiga's got. Without it, my A1200 is next to useless-is it worth pushing the board for a 20% speed gain, where if you REALLY need to run Amiga software as fast as possible then emulation would do at least as well? Just my opinion, I know how much I missed my Amiga hobby when the '040 died.

Damion 18 March 2010 09:20

Quote:

Can anyone tell me if it is normal behavior for some rev. 6 cpu's to run that hot?
Yes, I have a few and they can run warm. The difference between the Rev 1 and Rev 6 is a maximum of 5C in my testing. The Rev 1 can easily approach 60C at 50MHz, especially in a desktop case. (Of course, YMMV due to ambient temps and other factors.)

A heatsink might help with the crashing, if that doesn't cure it I would try adding juice to the floppy port and replace the motherboard caps (esp if you have a C= manufactured board). Then it should be rock-solid. :great