English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Hardware mods (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   SukkoPera's Open Source Hardware: A500/A600 Chip/Fast RAM Expansions (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=97459)

SukkoPera 08 August 2019 21:13

On a side note, thanks to a cool guy named Ruben Coolen we now have a 3D-printable case for my OpenC64Saver project:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3795541

katarakt 08 August 2019 21:58

Ok, so better we use the 4mb version. I'll let you know in a few weeks if i can get to work. I hope i can flash the EPM7032SLC44 which i have ordered with my USB blaster. The link with the firmware points to the A500 firmware...so it is the same for the A600 4mb fastram expansion?

SukkoPera 08 August 2019 23:20

Yes, the A500 and A600 boards are the same electrically, they only differ in shape. The firmware only depends on whether you put 4 or 8 mb on it, but on the A600 version you have no choice.

Instructions to flash using the USB Blaster are on the same page.

katarakt 19 August 2019 20:25

Thanks SukkoPera. If i want to flash it, do i have to solder all parts before? If so, can i leave C13 to put 5v to the pads or should i do this with capacitor for flashing?

SukkoPera 20 August 2019 00:46

You can just solder the CPLD for flashing. I suggest to provide power through C13 and not to put the actual capacitor on it, unless you are having stability issues.

katarakt 24 August 2019 15:29

Ok thanks, going to try it in the next days i think and let you know the result.

katarakt 02 September 2019 15:19

2 Attachment(s)
Today i tried to flash the Altera EPM7032SLC44 CPLD with the provided .pof file but can't flash it. I've used Quartus Prime 16.1. Can you help me please what's wrong :confused

SukkoPera 02 September 2019 17:04

I'm sorry but I don't really know, I've never used Quartus, but I don't think you should have two devices in the chain.

katarakt 02 September 2019 18:14

I've succesfully flashed the altera :)

Problem was the auto-detect button which adds the first IC in the window which caused the problem. Just no auto-detect, load the pof, and flash it :)

SukkoPera 03 September 2019 00:14

OK, great! I will add this info to the flashing instructions. So, does everything work now?

katarakt 04 September 2019 19:29

In Quartus only select the usb blaster hardware and then load the pof-file (make sure to check only the marks program/configure + verify!). Then hit the start button to flash.

I have to order some parts from digikey and find time to solder the rest, but i'll get back here to let you know if it works.

SukkoPera 06 September 2019 00:13

Info added to flashing instructions, thanks!

JanHolbo 18 September 2019 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by SukkoPera (Post 1322649)
Those who had a look at my repository in the last few days might have noticed that I have also released 4/8 MB Fast RAM Expansions for the A500 and A600 (and maybe A2000).

Are there any open designs like this for the A500 expansion port (left hand side)?

My reason for this is that I would like to learn how to do those, as I have ideas for add-ons of non-ide storage and WiFi for the A500.

Cheers in advance!

Best Regards,

Jan

SukkoPera 18 September 2019 21:09

Yes, this should be it. It also has IDE and a full AutoConfig implementation.

My friend @sampedenawa made it by modifying Matze's similar board for the CDTV.

If you want to talk about it, please open a new thread, as it would be OT here.

On the contrary, if you want to add IDE to my board, let's talk about it! :D

sampedenawa 19 September 2019 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by SukkoPera (Post 1346366)
Y
My friend @sampedenawa

:agree

JanHolbo 19 September 2019 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by SukkoPera (Post 1346366)
Yes, this should be it. It also has IDE and a full AutoConfig implementation.

My friend @sampedenawa made it by modifying Matze's similar board for the CDTV.

If you want to talk about it, please open a new thread, as it would be OT here.

On the contrary, if you want to add IDE to my board, let's talk about it! :D

Got it - and thanks for pointing my in that direction :-)

Actually I would like to add SD capability as that is still in use and development. I may be wrong but are not CF cards still in production mainly for legacy DSLRs?

I have been thinking about adding 2 MB extra for the storage part. Then banking that in perhaps 16K size banks - thus providing (read) caching of the SD card.

katarakt 14 October 2019 21:28

SukkoPera, do you know if there's an open source fastram expansion for the A1200 available? Would be great with 8mb or better switchable 4/8mb + RTC ...anything out there on the net?

edit: Ah great....i found one from arananet here ! Excellent. But RTC is missing :crying

SukkoPera 14 October 2019 23:34

Yes, I was going to point you to that one.

Check this out for the RTC: https://github.com/screwbreaker/OpenA1200RTC

katarakt 15 October 2019 18:22

Thanks but i know the RTC module from screwbraker, great project, but it has to be on the A1200 ramexpansion card from arananet, there is enough space for it onboard. I don't know why most of the pcb designers don't integrate the RTC :(

katarakt 01 November 2019 20:45

3 Attachment(s)
As i promised, i wanted to let you know if SukkoPerra's A600 4MB fastram expansion works. I solderd the ramexpansion today and yeeeeah ...it's working :spin

The only thing what is not so great is the PLCC68 socket, without screw it'll jump out from the CPU after max. 10 minutes !...i'll have to find a screw now and hope it'll keep holding with only one screw. Maybe an other socket will hold the ramexpansion better, but i don't think so...all those socket are looking very similar.

Ah, and i've tested it with a Rev.1 board. It also has the resistor on the corner, so you've to cut out a little bit from the PLCC68 socket. See pictures below.

If someone wants to use a plastic spacer for the screw between board and ramexpansion, it should be 8.7 mm high :)