English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Super Sprint - Atari ST Conversion (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=9755)

tomcat666 20 January 2006 07:05

Quote:

"The Atari ST has no sprites but it does have a blitter, so the blit routines will have to be rewritten as well."
Hmm, I tought the blitter was only in the new ST-E models of the ataris and almost no games made use of it (for sure none of the games we would like converted made use of that).

MOS-6581 20 January 2006 07:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcat666
Hmm, I tought the blitter was only in the new ST-E models of the ataris and almost no games made use of it (for sure none of the games we would like converted made use of that).

The blitter on STs were optional, but Mega STs have them as standard (I think).

Codetapper 20 January 2006 09:02

Just for the hell of it I grabbed the Atari ST version and took a look at the game file (75k of mostly code which is rather big for a game).

Now I'm no expert but I reckon it would be quicker to completely rewrite the game from scratch on the Amiga rather than trying to understand the code enough to be able to replace all the graphics and sound routines.

Galahad: If you have also pulled apart the main exe I would be interested to see if you came to the same conclusion. From my 5 minute analysis it appears that the game has not been written with any thought of conversion to future platforms in mind. But I would love to be proven wrong on this!

Methanoid 20 January 2006 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
Or, does anyone want to try and contact the programmer of Sundog..... never know, might still have his code!

I know he is working on a PC port now and has a website.. so I've just mailed him and asked nicely ;)

Galahad/FLT 20 January 2006 09:29

All graphics were pulled from screenshots and then chopped and changed.

Galahad/FLT 20 January 2006 09:31

I haven't taken any code from the ST version, because frankly, its a mess.

Would be nice to have the actual source code to work from with documentation, that would be quicker than writing from scratch.

alexh 20 January 2006 10:37

The authors of Sundog still have a web presence.

http://brucefwebster.com/sundog.htm
http://sundog.sourceforge.net/

Galahad/FLT 20 January 2006 11:21

Arse, ST version was written in Pascal.... yeughh!

stainy 20 January 2006 15:12

oooof! 0_o

alexh 15 February 2006 08:18

Interesting... the original International Karate was an Atari ST only title.

alexh 15 February 2006 08:34

Update:
Lode Runner
Metro-Cross
Millipede
Road Runner
Solomon's Key
Tempest
Ultima 2
Verminator
Where Time Stood Still
Oids
Sundog
Colonial Conquest
Gauntlet
F-15 Strike Eagle
Night Raider
NorthStar
Arkanoid III
Asteroids Deluxe
Crystal Castles
Enduro Racer
Missile Command
Moon Patrol
Trantor: The last StormTrooper
Robotron: 2048
Joust
Game Over 2
TNT

tomcat666 16 February 2006 08:42

One of my favorite 8bit games...

StarQuake

Also wouldn't mind Where Time Stood Still on the miggy :)

Frog 17 February 2006 00:48

Quote:

One of my favorite 8bit games...

StarQuake

Also wouldn't mind Where Time Stood Still on the miggy :)

look funny. It look's like a kind of Cybernoid

@Alexh : i always found International Karate graphics really amazing, same thing for the samples... well in his time, i've not see it since ;)

BTW there's a good Solomon's key clone called Spherical on amiga http://hol.abime.net/2057 but you may know it ?

tomcat666 17 February 2006 07:46

They kinda got the colours all wrong in the ST version :) The C64 version has better ones... The original game was done by Stephen Crow. He also did Firelord, Wizard's Lair and later on the Eliminator (which was also on miggy).

Photon 17 February 2006 20:44

Actually, super sprint was one of the VERY few games that I appreciated on ST. ST sucked horse**** though.

Edit: ****

7-Zark-7 18 February 2006 16:34

Quote:

They kinda got the colours all wrong in the ST version :) The C64 version has better ones... The original game was done by Stephen Crow. He also did Firelord, Wizard's Lair and later on the Eliminator (which was also on miggy).

Going O/T,I know, but Steve Crow also went on to be one of the noted later Gfx artsits late in the C64's commercial life doing the visuals on Mr Heli,Turbo Outrun,S.C.I.(Chase HQ II), & Golden Axe amongst others.

kamelito 19 May 2006 17:00

I wanted to also make an Amiga port of SuperSprint

Quote:

Is underway.

I will simply port the Atari ST version directly, I'm not interested in making it Amiga enhanced, as there are better clones of this game already on Amiga (Nitro as a for instance).

All graphics are ripped, and work has begun on conversion of the music. Sound effects will be replaced.

Hi,
Super Sprint was my all time favorite ST game, I own an Amiga and I played this game at a friend home.
We knew it perfectly for example the score are displayed with one decimal while its internaly coded with 2 with a precision equal to .02 meaning that you could have 5.20 5.22 score and so on. So our highscores wer're written in paper. There's also a bug in the last circuit where you can kill the computer while playing at 3 against the computer and so grab as many bonus and key as you want to buy options.

Not too long ago I did a disassembly of the code, its clean as it nearly do not contain any datas. I was able to re-assemble it under ST emulator and it worked fine. My plan was then to identify input/output for sound, gfx, files, keyboard, joystick and replace them with Amiga specific code but I got lazy by then...

If you want it I've the .prg source code of the Atari ST version.
I don't say that I'll never do it but I just found a new job and its top priority for now...

Regards
Kamel

Computolio 11 June 2006 11:41

The dude who did OIDS is still around. He even ported it to Mac OS X. I imagine that if someone who knew what he was doing approached him about doing an Amiga port he might be down with it.

Photon 11 June 2006 14:17

Remember playing Super Sprint on a friend's ST when visiting, one of the very few ST titles that were playable. Would be great if you ported this! :)

kamelito 29 October 2006 11:08

Any progress on Super Sprint port ?

Quote:

All graphics were pulled from screenshots and then chopped and changed.

Hi,

I sent you the source code of the Atari version months ago (I did sent it to gizmomelb too) and I was wondering if any of you made any progress in the Amiga port of Super Sprint)

Regards
Kamel