English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.GameBase Amiga (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   DamienD's WinUAE Collection (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=90314)

speshady 05 February 2021 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by steptoe (Post 1459312)
If anybody is interested in DOS games for the PC, I came across this searching for something a good while back

Off topic somewhat, but may help those in search of DOS games and is in a similar vein to Damien's collection but DOS only

Running emulated DOS on an emulated Amiga could be pushing the limits on some systems especially those who run it via laptop or low end systems, which is what I think some are asking

Its a HUGE download (500 GB) and takes considerable time to unpack but its all there ready to run with over 7000 DOS games, configured and runable

https://exodos.the-eye.us/

There is download though from the same project site, that is only 50 GB and downloads only the games you choose to after installation, so only downloads the minimum where the pack above is everything

https://exodos.the-eye.us/lite.html

I already have all eXo's packs - DOS & Win :great

eddiemonsta 05 February 2021 13:33

Damien,

Feedback as promised:

Firstly, wow! I can't even begin to imagine how much time you must have put into this, so thank you very much for your hard work. The instructions were easy to follow, and the setup was a piece of cake. Everything I have tried just works, no messing about. The first game I tried was powermonger because I still play that regularly, and seeing the scanlines gave me that warm fuzzy feeling of nostalgia. They're probably not for me in the long run, but I see you've given advice on removing them anyway, so it seems you've got everything covered. I'm looking forward to reliving my teens and diving into even more of the classic games I used to spend hours on when I should have been doing my homework! Maybe I can even get the kids hooked on the Amiga, like I was back in the day.

My only criticism would be related to the fact it has to be installed on the C drive, but this is only a criticism because of choices I made when building my PC so feel free to just tell me i should have bought a bigger hard drive! I decided I wanted a low capacity SSD for my primary drive (110Gb). I have a second 250Gb SSD for my Virtual Pinball setup, then larger capacity mechanical drives for my gaming stuff to keep it portable. I only had about 25Gb free initially on my primary drive, so I had to delete a fair bit of stuff just to do the initial install, and there was no way I could free up enough space to do all the updates. If I could have just selected to install to my 8Tb F drive, life would have been simple. Also, it isn't clear from the instructions (unless I've missed it) how may of the 48 parts get installed using the setup program, and if I need to extract any of them after setup has completed?

Anyway, I want to end on a positive note and congratulate you on a fine collection, and thank you again for all the hard work you have put into this. If you're ever in my corner of Wales, drop me a message and I'll buy you a pint or three by way of thanks.

Ed

speshady 05 February 2021 13:42

You can just extract the archive manually to whichever drive you wish.
I have the WinUAE folder on my G: drive.

DamienD 05 February 2021 15:00

Heya eddiemonsta,

Thank you for providing feedback ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddiemonsta (Post 1459381)
My only criticism would be related to the fact it has to be installed on the C drive, but this is only a criticism because of choices I made when building my PC so feel free to just tell me i should have bought a bigger hard drive! I decided I wanted a low capacity SSD for my primary drive (110Gb). I have a second 250Gb SSD for my Virtual Pinball setup, then larger capacity mechanical drives for my gaming stuff to keep it portable. I only had about 25Gb free initially on my primary drive, so I had to delete a fair bit of stuff just to do the initial install, and there was no way I could free up enough space to do all the updates. If I could have just selected to install to my 8Tb F drive, life would have been simple. Also, it isn't clear from the instructions (unless I've missed it) how may of the 48 parts get installed using the setup program, and if I need to extract any of them after setup has completed?

speshady is correct, you can not use the "Setup.exe" and just manually extract anywhere. Just make sure you right-click on the "WinUAE.part01.exe" and select "Open with WinRAR" and apply the registry settings ;)

See this also:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1215242)

eddiemonsta 05 February 2021 18:42

Ah, I use 7-zip and not winrar. I will download winrar and give that a go, thanks. I had read the stuff about copying to another drive, but obviously that still meant i needed the space on my C drive to install in the first place.

steptoe 07 February 2021 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by steptoe (Post 1459312)
If anybody is interested in DOS games for the PC, I came across this searching for something a good while back

Off topic somewhat, but may help those in search of DOS games and is in a similar vein to Damien's collection but DOS only

Running emulated DOS on an emulated Amiga could be pushing the limits on some systems especially those who run it via laptop or low end systems, which is what I think some are asking

Its a HUGE download (500 GB) and takes considerable time to unpack but its all there ready to run with over 7000 DOS games, configured and runable

https://exodos.the-eye.us/

There is download though from the same project site, that is only 50 GB and downloads only the games you choose to after installation, so only downloads the minimum where the pack above is everything

https://exodos.the-eye.us/lite.html

I've downloaded and installed the exodos_lite, and have to say its very very easy to use via LaunchBox. I also have an older BigBox license that worked before I moved over to RetroFE. Games that are not listed are auto downloaded via the included Bittorrent client so be patient for downloads and the config after takes a few seconds and make sure any virus software is set to allow the ExoDOS folder full internet access via your whitelist as this caught me out and had me head scratching for a while when games were not downloading

I use RetroFE on a BarTop cabinet I built, the Amiga WinUAE pack ran very easily from that with minimal headaches in the RetroFE setup and I also altered the Amiga game configs slightly to have LEDs always displayed when loading and disk clicking for audible confirmations when loading from disk. I also turned off scanlines as I personally don't like the effect

I now need to get the ExoDOS pack running from RetroFE, so will probably end up downloading the whole 500GB pack to avoid any downloading and manual per game config settings via the BarTop wireless

I run the entire BarTop RetroFE install from a 2TB portable USB3 hard drive, except the boot drive that stays in the BarTop, so I can easily update or add games via the main desktop simply by plugging it into it and copying files over and its ready to test and run

DamienD 07 February 2021 16:00

Given the awesome news that pink^abyss has released Tinyus, this has to go in my collection immediately :great
https://i.imgur.com/9DVQXng.png
Yes, it still a beta, so please play test and report any issues / observations to pink^abyss in the above thread.

So please just download /extract this archive into "C:\WinUAE" ;)

DamienD 07 February 2021 19:15

So been playing a lot of meynaf's Heroes of Might and Magic II port this weekend :great

Damn, scenario 4 is friggin' impossible!!! :scream

...and there's 10 scenarios in all :shocked

Anyway, if you want to try this... here are Scenario 2, 3 and 4 saves that get created when you finish a scenario. Just extract into the folder "HoMMII\GAMES" on the .HDF ;)

Macca 07 February 2021 20:36

Hi

I've just noticed this (not sure how I missed it) and it was something I had recently started doing - I've got nowhere near this number and I'm barely into two digits so it's amazing work from what I can see in this thread.

Is there anyway to snag this? It will save me several years worth of work :)

Thanks,

M.

DamienD 07 February 2021 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 1460105)
Hi

I've just noticed this (not sure how I missed it) and it was something I had recently started doing - I've got nowhere near this number and I'm barely into two digits so it's amazing work from what I can see in this thread.

Is there anyway to snag this? It will save me several years worth of work :)

Thanks,

M.

PMs sent ;)

Yeah, once people try doing this themselves they can then understand why it's taken me 15+ years :p

Mind you, I didn't really touch it at all between mid 2009 and mid 2015...

Macca 08 February 2021 15:46

M.

DamienD 08 February 2021 21:00

Well it's been a long time since the release of another "Update Pack" :blased

This should really tell you that I'm absolutely running out of decent games to now add... I don't know if I'll make it to "Update Pack #50" :help

Also, a few more Mac / ShapeShifter games have snuck in... even though I said there'd be no more :p

Details are as follows:

5 game updates:
... Amigo the Fox [demo]
... Arcticfox
... Bubble and Squeak [AGA]
... Space Invaders
... Tapper [demo]

1 configuration update:
... Dogfight - 80 Years of Aerial Warfare

1 title / sshot update:
... Power Pete [RTG] [ShapeShifter]

4 new "cheats / hints / level codes / manuals / maps / walkthroughs" additions:
... B-17 Flying Fortress
... Discworld [RTG] [ShapeShifter]
... Gabriel Knight - Sins of the Fathers [RTG] [ShapeShifter]
... Heroes of Might and Magic [RTG] [ShapeShifter]

10 new game additions:

Code:

Aardvark
B-17 Flying Fortress
Discworld [RTG]  [ShapeShifter]
Gabriel Knight - Sins of the Fathers [RTG]  [ShapeShifter]
Heroes of Might and Magic [RTG]  [ShapeShifter]
Heroes of Might and Magic II - The Succession Wars [AGA]  [Macintosh conversion]
Heroes of Might and Magic II - The Succession Wars [RTG]  [ShapeShifter]
Pitfall 2 - The Lost Caverns  [Arcade conversion] [alpha]
Sim City 2000 [RTG]  [ShapeShifter]
Tinyus  [beta]

This now brings the total number of games in my collection to 3240 :great

It's currently uploading and PMs will be sent shortly ;)

superduckuk 08 February 2021 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1460493)
Well it's been a long time since the release of another "Update Pack" :blased

This should really tell you that I'm absolutely running out of decent games to now add... I don't know if I'll make it to "Update Pack #50" :help

Also, a few more Mac / ShapeShifter games have snuck in... even though I said there'd be no more :p

Details are as follows:

5 game updates:
... Amigo the Fox [demo]
... Arcticfox
... Bubble and Squeak [AGA]
... Space Invaders
... Tapper [demo]

1 configuration update:
... Dogfight - 80 Years of Aerial Warfare

1 title / sshot update:
... Power Pete [RTG] [ShapeShifter]

5 new "cheats / hints / level codes / manuals / maps / walkthroughs" additions:
... B-17 Flying Fortress
... Discworld [RTG] [ShapeShifter]
... Gabriel Knight - Sins of the Fathers [RTG] [ShapeShifter]
... Heroes of Might and Magic [RTG] [ShapeShifter]
... Heroes of Might and Magic II - The Succession Wars [RTG] [ShapeShifter]

10 new game additions:

Code:

Aardvark
B-17 Flying Fortress
Gabriel Knight - Sins of the Fathers [RTG]  [ShapeShifter]
Heroes of Might and Magic [RTG]  [ShapeShifter]
Heroes of Might and Magic II - The Succession Wars [AGA]  [Macintosh conversion]
Heroes of Might and Magic II - The Succession Wars [RTG]  [ShapeShifter]
Pitfall 2 - The Lost Caverns  [Arcade conversion] [alpha]
Sim City 2000 [RTG]  [ShapeShifter]
Tinyus  [beta]

This now brings the total number of games in my collection to 3240 :great

It's currently uploading and PMs will be sent shortly ;)

Nice one!

Sandancer 08 February 2021 23:00

Thank you Damien :)

enigma776 09 February 2021 02:41

Another update nice. Surprised B17 wasn't already in there to be honest.

Valken 09 February 2021 06:33

Thank you Damien for all the hard work!

DamienD 09 February 2021 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1459118)
As an alternative to the Mac / ShapeShifter version of Heroes of Might and Magic II: The Succession Wars; in which a saved "Campaign Game" will not load, and you cannot use "Save States"...

I've now added in meynaf's awesome Amiga port of the Mac / PC version: Heroes of Might and Magic II :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown
https://i.imgur.com/GPpm8aR.png
With this saving / loading of a "Campaign Game" works fine :great

If I'm honest though, it's just slightly less smooth that when running via ShapeShifter but...

Anyway, so please just download / extract this archive into "C:\WinUAE" ;)

So regarding meynaf's port above...

I came up with an ingenious way to get all the Scenario saves :p

Basically the "Gold Edition" has various cheats. I reinstalled this on my computer and used the "Win Scenario" cheat for both "Roland" (Good) and "Archibald" (Evil).

I then injected all of the saves into my "Heroes of Might and Magic II - The Succession Wars AGA.hdf" ;)

So, please just download / extract this archive into "C:\WinUAE".

superduckuk 09 February 2021 12:14

Nice one Damien

TroyWilkins 09 February 2021 14:03

Thank you for continuing to share your work with us DamienD, I really appreciate it. If you make it to update #50 you deserve some sort of award!

DamienD 09 February 2021 16:30

Regarding the following:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1460493)
Code:

It was pretty slow to load etc... so have now turned on JIT, which definitely improves things ;)

Please just download / extract the following archive into "C:\WinUAE".