English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Bad/Meh Amiga ports of good computer/console/arcade games that might need a Remake (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=107772)

d4rk3lf 29 July 2021 10:11

1942 should be on the list.
Remake is almost done:
https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=99630&page=13

jotd 29 July 2021 11:20

I think this thread is about "amiga games that have a port that sucks" :) 1942 doesn't have an amiga version AFAIK. It's 1943.

d4rk3lf 29 July 2021 12:50

@jotd
Ahh.. sorry then.. my bad... :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cammy (Post 1498231)
and I have been working on a plan together with some amazing people in the Amiga community to encourage development of games like this and reward the people involved.

I just hope anyone thinking about it can wait until the end of the month to begin.

That's great idea Cammy.
I am personally more then willing to donate small amounts of money for developers, from time to time.
If that's what you meant.

Is it like a base payment for all developers that are doing remakes?
Or, if not, what's the idea?

Etze 29 July 2021 13:15

Microprose Soccer sucks on Amiga if you compare it to the C64 version.

gimbal 29 July 2021 16:48

I would say Vindicators too. The Amiga version is not bad technically but it is just so much not fun. It misses speed compared to the arcade version plus the ability to turn your turret separate from the tank body (... right?). It's a rather sluggish gameplay experience.

I think this game should give you the ability to auto-target enemies so the turret automatically points at them. This gives you the ability to shoot at enemies while you can still avoid their projectiles. Either that or give you the ability to strafe... we can pretend it is a hover tank or something.

saimon69 29 July 2021 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by kremiso (Post 1498423)
i would like to listen your personal approach to the audio side of the game ;)
imo the existent tunes are already good, half work already done

Did review the video of Forgotten worlds and would say that need a LOT of love to have better shoot, more frantic enemy waves and of course the missing level plus new music - by the way i cannot wrap my head over VGMPlay due to its command line approach, would love there is a GUI like in hoot to help me isolate tracks

kremiso 30 July 2021 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by saimon69 (Post 1498496)
Did review the video of Forgotten worlds and would say that need a LOT of love to have better shoot, more frantic enemy waves and of course the missing level plus new music - by the way i cannot wrap my head over VGMPlay due to its command line approach, would love there is a GUI like in hoot to help me isolate tracks

agree
about the music, the only thing available on the net (Amiga side) are a couple of ripped tunes :

https://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Forgotten_Worlds

proprietary FWMP format used, i still have the converted .mp3 files, made times ago :)

saimon69 30 July 2021 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by kremiso (Post 1498579)
agree
about the music, the only thing available on the net (Amiga side) are a couple of ripped tunes :

https://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Forgotten_Worlds

proprietary FWMP format used, i still have the converted .mp3 files, made times ago :)

I honestly think that the supercars 2 approach might be needed here - mean changing sound routine so that handles sound effects and music - possibly together (so three channels for music and one for FX) - it might mean that the game might end up being playable with a meg of chip RAM though (decent samples of waves take room)

kremiso 31 July 2021 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by saimon69 (Post 1498649)
I honestly think that the supercars 2 approach might be needed here - mean changing sound routine so that handles sound effects and music - possibly together (so three channels for music and one for FX) - it might mean that the game might end up being playable with a meg of chip RAM though (decent samples of waves take room)

having both music and sfx in game would be amazing

tough project btw, a lot of gfx, big bosses, a lot of work and ram (probably more than 1meg);
considering than the Megadrive port (not properly) was developed from Sega itself, i presume this would require a lot of skills;
wondering if an AGA version could at least match that version, gfx talking ofc

back on earth, i would be satisfied of a good Side Arms port, also tough but maybe little more affordable

skyzoo73 31 July 2021 16:15

I would also add Bad Dudes Vs. DragonNinja to the list, even if not as bad as some conversions, it deserves a nice upgrade on the colors, music redone more competently, and I am convinced it would be very close to the arcade also on OCS.

d4rk3lf 31 July 2021 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyzoo73 (Post 1498751)
I would also add Bad Dudes Vs. DragonNinja to the list, even if not as bad as some conversions, it deserves a nice upgrade on the colors, music redone more competently, and I am convinced it would be very close to the arcade also on OCS.

Fully agreed!

Joe&Mac Caveman ninja's too, as a very similar example

demoniac 01 August 2021 01:31

Battletoads is horrible on the Amiga. I really enjoyed it on NES, but never could pass one of the flying levels. The Amiga version is lifeless in comparison.

saimon69 01 August 2021 02:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by kremiso (Post 1498717)
back on earth, i would be satisfied of a good Side Arms port, also tough but maybe little more affordable

McGeezer was thinking at that, try to push on the appropriate thread

Cammy 01 August 2021 06:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4rk3lf (Post 1498447)
@jotd
Ahh.. sorry then.. my bad... :)

That's great idea Cammy.
I am personally more then willing to donate small amounts of money for developers, from time to time.
If that's what you meant.

Is it like a base payment for all developers that are doing remakes?
Or, if not, what's the idea?

A donation pool for developers is a great idea, but I was trying to mention something without mentioning it before the announcement date which is today. We are holding AmiGameJam again this year, and this time the theme is ports.! Winners will receive really cool prizes which are being donated by our sponsors and generous people in the Amiga community.

PatmanQC 01 August 2021 06:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyzoo73 (Post 1498751)

Colors could definitely Be upgraded but the biggest addition would need to be "I'm bad!" At the end of each level

skan 01 August 2021 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cammy (Post 1498835)
A donation pool for developers is a great idea, but I was trying to mention something without mentioning it before the announcement date which is today. We are holding AmiGameJam again this year, and this time the theme is ports.! Winners will receive really cool prizes which are being donated by our sponsors and generous people in the Amiga community.

Very nice initiative, thanks Cammy! :)

d4rk3lf 01 August 2021 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by demoniac (Post 1498825)
Battletoads

Ahh.. that reminds me of another title that Saimon could add:
Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles The Coin Op

demoniac 02 August 2021 05:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4rk3lf (Post 1498908)
Ahh.. that reminds me of another title that Saimon could add:
Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles The Coin Op

I thought of that, but wasn't familiar enough with the gameplay.

Can't believe the 2 different NES ports weren't done properly on the Amiga. At least, there's an okay version of After Burner ported.

Thunder Blade was poorly converted.

saimon69 02 August 2021 07:31

At the end the Tiertex opera omnia is in need to be re-ported again; why am not surprised? :P

gimbal 02 August 2021 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by demoniac (Post 1499040)
Thunder Blade was poorly converted.

You are too kind. I call it an unplayable mess :) Never mind the poor framerate, it is a pseudo 3D bullet hell game where the bullets fly out of nowhere and you have no idea what their exact position is to your helicopter. it is like the goal was to make it not fun to play at all.

(although there are even worse ports out there).