English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Amiga Soundtracker / Protracker Competition (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=62485)

StevenMarshall 06 January 2012 14:44

origins... the "retro style"

The original idea was actually to submit a song, rather than a module. That way a user loads a song which then loads samples off the ST-01 disk. The "retro style". That was original thought for this game/competition. (Unfortunately Song would be a little bit tricky to play on stand alone player, hence the module in the end.)

In other words: let's see what one can compose, rather what one can do in sound design department.

Bottom line:
The whole accent here is on retro 100%. Original Soundtracker did not have resample function.

Amiga1992 06 January 2012 15:35

Resampling is *hardly* "sound design" :rolleyes

daxb 06 January 2012 16:11

I is important to make clear rulez. So long it makes no sense to start anything. Make a deadline. For example end of year if you don`t want to make a deadline. Write the rulez down. Incl. samples have to stay original...

Amiga1992 06 January 2012 17:27

YEah that's something else: you would have to include the list of samples intended for use. Those ST-XX disks have been tampered with many times. There's no assurance what one has the other one does.

musojon74 06 January 2012 17:37

Resampling isn't sound design. It's allowing enough note range to compose. Actually I will just compose using samples from st 01 and dump it on my webspace. The. If it doesn't qualify - meh.

mazxim 06 January 2012 18:36

Hells calls hell. May Olof Gustafsson's soul be with you! It is expected nothing than awesomeness :cool

(it's still something unexplained to me how that guy made that Pinball Fantasies's intro without FL Studio..)

StevenMarshall 06 January 2012 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by musojon74 (Post 794595)
Resampling isn't sound design. It's allowing enough note range to compose.

Yes, that's true. But you can also combine several notes with Protracker into a chord which then gets resampled and classifies as "resample". Who guarantees some other ppl won't use that function as well. :D

Anyway, you got me thinking about this issue and i think the best "retro" catch would be - to require for the track to be composed in original Soundtracker. :agree

I've just installed one and will spend some time testing and seeing which features are "missing" from the Protracker that we are all used to. If too many, then i guess we should leave it to Protracker and pitch-resampling as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 794590)
YEah that's something else: you would have to include the list of samples intended for use. Those ST-XX disks have been tampered with many times. There's no assurance what one has the other one does.

I thought this problem was solved in the first post of this thread. No?

StevenMarshall 06 January 2012 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by daxb (Post 794577)
I is important to make clear rulez. So long it makes no sense to start anything. Make a deadline.

I'm in the process of gathering ppl first. I will try to bring some old Amiga names as well.

Once we count our numbers then we together agree on the deadline. The winner gets a virtual sixpack of nice cold beer. :cool

musojon74 06 January 2012 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenMarshall (Post 794618)
Yes, that's true. But you can also combine several notes with Protracker into a chord which then gets resampled and classifies as "resample". Who guarantees some other ppl won't use that function as well. :D

Ahh ok I see your point. Well I'm in if I can just double the pitch of a sample (that's what I meant by resample). I won't do any of that making a chord out of a sample stuff! :)

StevenMarshall 07 January 2012 17:36

Ok, i've just tried the old Soundtracker and.... OMG. :nervous Near impossible to work after getting used to Protracker and all the commands and UI.

So i guess we'll shift to the Protracker and resampling as an allowed option. Taper (small fade in/out) at the sample ends to smooth out the (clicky) loop should be allowed too.

daxb 08 January 2012 12:18

Suggestion: If someone edit samples then he/she has to write it in the sample text for easy check. E.g. smp #5 removed click.

Btw. I can`t download the zip with IBrowse. Can someone lha the samples and put it into TheZone?

prowler 08 January 2012 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by daxb (Post 795031)
Btw. I can`t download the zip with IBrowse. Can someone lha the samples and put it into TheZone?

Try this instead:
http://aminet.net/mods/inst/st-01.lha :)

StevenMarshall 09 January 2012 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoonay (Post 793747)
Post info on modules.pl too :)

EDIT:

I've contacted Adam (i think is his name), he appears to administrate the site, and got informed that the post has been open in there. :)

StevenMarshall 09 January 2012 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by prowler (Post 795178)

Yup! That will work. This is from where i got my samples from.

daxb 09 January 2012 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by prowler (Post 795178)

Thanks!

Amiga1992 10 January 2012 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenMarshall (Post 794618)
Yes, that's true. But you can also combine several notes with Protracker into a chord which then gets resampled and classifies as "resample".

Nah, that's the CHORD function, not resample :P Also I don't think 2.3D has it.

Sountracker doesn't work on anything, it would be ridiculous to use it. I think settling on PT1.3 or 2.3d, which are the most popular ones and run on almost every computer, should be good.

(didn't see the ST-01.zip file on the original post. Woops! :P)

gibs 21 January 2012 02:07

A preview of what I've just done while I was at the phone tonight :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHatqoK-Bt4

Amiga1992 21 January 2012 02:24

You're using PT1.3 or Soundtracker?
Nice one!

gibs 21 January 2012 03:24

Pt2.3d

StingRay 21 January 2012 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 794372)
I don't want to use new samples, I was talking about resampling, as in taking the sample into Protracker and resampling it so I can get a new range of the freq-spectrum. You understand what I mean?

Yes I did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 794372)
It is well understood only the samples from the ST-01 disk are allowed, but what I propose is something you can do with them inside PT once you have loaded them.

Which means they are not the original ST-01 samples anymore. What exactly was the point of this very compo?