English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinFellow (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Winfellow on Windows Vista (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=28554)

eLowar 02 May 2007 12:17

What, is it 2007 already?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodoichi (21 July 2001)
Great. I just wanted to helpful (seriously!) and all I get is an insult.

http://boycottadvance.emuunlim.com/

Funny, everybody rants about AEN's board, so I come visit this one just to find out that the people here don't give a f*ck about "newbies".

:rolleyes

T_hairy_bootson 02 May 2007 15:03

Heh, everyone was a newbie once, even Kodoichi... ;)

whiteb 06 May 2007 20:30

Oh guys......

www.haveacry.com (Yes it is a REAL domain, no it isnt goat ).

Sensi 07 May 2007 16:02

It´s time to remove Vista and install DOS. And run Felloe under DOS :)

P-J 01 June 2007 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensibleFan
It´s time to remove Vista and install DOS. And run Felloe under DOS :)

Or DOSUAE! Just make sure them arrow keys are working and you don't mind everything looking like ROBOCO~1.ADF :)

Jimbo 14 June 2007 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubis
I thought someone said that Win Vista is faster then WinXP?? Only if you have P8 with 23234234TB memory etc.... :laughing

Newer M$ OS means more resource, more money etc... :cheese

WinUAE isn't easy enough??? :confused

Not true. Vista running on a 2.6ghz and 1 Gig of ram with an old 9200 256m ATi card and it runs super smooth here. And it loads faster then XP. Oh and my CPU is a crappy celeron. So resource and power hungry Vista is not!

eLowar 14 June 2007 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbo
Not true. Vista running on a 2.6ghz and 1 Gig of ram with an old 9200 256m ATi card and it runs super smooth here. And it loads faster then XP. Oh and my CPU is a crappy celeron. So resource and power hungry Vista is not!

Yeah I tested it on almost the same hardware and it ran fine, unfortunately it didn't support some hardware I don't have replacements for yet (e.g. an old-ish Promise ATA controller), so I'm back on XP for now. But I'd love to use some of the new features "under the hood" like symbolic links. That's assuming it's possible to tune down or turn off Aero. I guess if all else fails I could replace it with something like DOpus.

Hmm, this seems rather off-topic in this thread. On the other hand I couldn't make myself read the Vista vs. XP thread. ;)

Jimbo 14 June 2007 12:48

I dont think it can be tuned as such. but there is an option to turn it off :)

Its all nice when its first installed, but after a while im guessing all the nice animations etc will get boring and will all eventually get turned of by most users anyway tbh.

eLowar 14 June 2007 12:54

Well at first glance I didn't like how they keep hiding the actual HD contents more and more. The interface seems overly simplified, resulting in more clicks per action than on XP/Explorer. Of course that may partly just be re-arranged things I'm not used to yet.

I'll give it another shot when I got a new controller and can be bothered. ;)

Jimbo 14 June 2007 13:03

Yes I agree, Also when i first installed mine I couldnt write to my C: drive. As default the Admin of the PC has no right to write to it, which is very odd. You actually have to give yourself (ADMIN) the permissions do write to the C: drive. There are a few things that you seem you cant do like you could with XP, but after a bit of searching the internet there are ways to set it up so you can do the same as XP. After chucking it around for a couple of days it all comes very easy to work out the differences and how to set it up like you have with your own XP setup.

Shoonay 14 June 2007 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbo

Ditto. A happy Vista x64 user here, on pretty old components: Athlon64 3000+ with 1GB and PCIEx GF6600GT graphics. Any game works, any proggie floats! :D

Pyromania 21 September 2007 03:10

@Shoonay

I thought 64bit Vista had problems with drivers and running 32bit XP games?

P-J 05 October 2007 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyromania (Post 359336)
@Shoonay

I thought 64bit Vista had problems with drivers and running 32bit XP games?

I think the games thing is starting to become a non issue... and the drivers thing is the manufacturers fault :)

Common hardware (ATI/nVidia cards and nForce chipsets, for example) seems to have decent support now.

andreas 24 January 2008 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbo (Post 334461)
And it loads faster then XP. Oh and my CPU is a crappy celeron. So resource and power hungry Vista is not!

This is a damn FACT! :agree

The guy I chatted to said he had to reboot his (Vista-powered) desktop PC and he was back on ICQ after less than 2 (two) minutes!!

"Wot? You really did REBOOT in this short time?!"
"Well, yes. :p"
"Gee, that's the bomb!"
"No but Vista!"

(rest snipped, too much of his Vista ballyhoo talk) :evilgrin

P-J 24 January 2008 16:59

I have no idea what you're on about with this gravedig, but I'm sure it's funny somewhere :)

andreas 24 January 2008 17:02

been browsing EAB for Vista issues, as I will soon be a LEGAL (!) Windows Server 2008 RC1 user; and of course I will also test WinUAE on it :) (WinFellow would not be worth the trouble, as I can read here, though)

NLS 24 January 2008 20:43

hm, good idea - test it on Longhorn...

I'd do it this weekend maybe (yes I am also a legal user)

andreas 24 January 2008 22:28

I did not doubt that you are eh :P
BTW you meant Longhorn Server. Positive reports from Vista are old hat ;)
Well, for real, disregarding people's bashing of MS all the time: this IS a nice trait indeed. Have your Live ID handy and get a legal registration number, valid until June 2008!! No hassles, no silly cracking tools needed to bypass/remove activation. Boy, do I like that!

NLS 25 January 2008 11:09

well AFAIK Longhorn was the server part, Vista had another codename... I could be wrong

andreas 25 January 2008 13:05

You are :p