English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Sequels quite different from the original (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=106896)

kremiso 10 May 2021 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1482661)
Flashback is not a sequel of Another World. The sequel is "Heart of the Alien"

Correct, let me say the inspiration was big at the time
at Delphine were searching to improve it
but you are right, virtual sequel, as least it's how i see it

Fiery Phoenix 10 May 2021 13:32

Fist 2 on the C64 - tried a scrolling arcade adventure with fighting. Interesting and could have been great, but did not click

Thrust is one of my all time fave games, but Thrust 2 was another that did not click, was also worse by having joystick controls

PC wise, change from Mean Streets / Martian Memorandum to Under a Killing Moon - WOW factor!

Amiga wise, Mighty Bombjack was a shift, from single screen to more larger levels - and the better for it

gimbal 10 May 2021 16:04

Well speaking of Flashback... Flashback and Fade to Black. I had a hard time trying to like Fade to Black. I'm still trying to this day :)

Toejam & Earl is another example; a topdown exploration game into a platformer. This was a good decision IMO, if they had made another game like the original it'd have strongly had the more of the same syndrome.

Anubis 10 May 2021 16:17

LOL, just like you - I really tried to like and ply Fade to Black. Sadly, game experience is very bad and I rather finish Flashback one more time then loose more time on F2B.

demoniac 10 May 2021 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherno (Post 1482462)
While I found the first part to be an ok game and up until the Tactical BattleTech game from Harebrained Schemes released a few years ago, it was the only official way to have a tactical BattleMech combat experience like the tabletop game. The sequel was nothling like it, from wehat I remember it was even in a sort-of real-time mode. I didn't enjoy it at all because it really was just a series of battles. The graphics were even worse than the first part, too :)

Then I'm glad Crescent Hawks' Revenge didn't get released on the Amiga. :laughing I would surely been annoyed upon testing it out, although I would achieved closure much earlier.

I'm trying figure out why I find the first one enjoyable. The graphics were adequate. I think it is the combination of an alright plot that is tied closely to the tabletop universe that's quasi-canon. The RPG portions weren't grinding either, so it was fairly easy to advance progress. The concept of both upgrading the humans and mechs were neat too.

rare_j 10 May 2021 22:04

On the Spectrum, Chase HQ being followed by by SCI was a bit of a surprise, (in the same way that stepping in a pile of leaves and hearing a squelch is a surprise...)

Cherno 10 May 2021 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by demoniac (Post 1482805)
Then I'm glad Crescent Hawks' Revenge didn't get released on the Amiga. :laughing I would surely been annoyed upon testing it out, although I would achieved closure much earlier.

I'm trying figure out why I find the first one enjoyable. The graphics were adequate. I think it is the combination of an alright plot that is tied closely to the tabletop universe that's quasi-canon. The RPG portions weren't grinding either, so it was fairly easy to advance progress. The concept of both upgrading the humans and mechs were neat too.

I recently watched this playthrough with lots of trivia about the game, highly recommended https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCcD6ZqtUl0

Aardvark 11 May 2021 02:23

Arnie 2

kremiso 11 May 2021 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix (Post 1482687)
Fist 2 on the C64 - tried a scrolling arcade adventure with fighting. Interesting and could have been great, but did not click...

This is a 100% hate/love game for me
i drew a map of this at the time, but it was VERY difficult due the strange link between zones; infact the result is unreadable now
also a lot of backtrack, if you want complete it; i fell asleep a couple of times playing it, due the slow gameplay and the soporific sountrack...
re-watching the longplay on the tube, i fell asleep again :laughing
... but i love it at the same time

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimbal (Post 1482719)
Well speaking of Flashback... Flashback and Fade to Black. I had a hard time trying to like Fade to Black. I'm still trying to this day :)

I have tried an approach on FtB during the PS1 era, but the result was almost the same... entirely played, but no satisfaction

The 3D switch attempt managed to break the link with a couple of great 2D games
i'm thinking at Abe Oddysee atm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rare_j (Post 1482807)
On the Spectrum, Chase HQ being followed by by SCI was a bit of a surprise, (in the same way that stepping in a pile of leaves and hearing a squelch is a surprise...)

:laughing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aardvark (Post 1482844)
Arnie 2

thank you, i don't know this game, not even his prequel

gimbal 11 May 2021 14:36

The worst change of all IMO:

Banjo Kazooie... Nuts & Bolts. They turned one of the best platformer franchises I have ever played it into something of an undefined genre that does weird things with cars.

Sgt Jack V 11 May 2021 21:26

I really dislike how the Turrican series took a turn for the linear later on

Gordon Bennett 12 May 2021 01:57

I enjoyed Danger Mouse in the Black Forest Chateau quite a lot. It's a nice multiple-choice adventure with graphics that looked exactly like the cartoon. The sequels were sub-par arcade games. Very disappointing.

stainy 12 May 2021 13:06

Player Manager - superb
Player Manager 2 - wot!

Predseda 12 May 2021 13:42

Directory Opus 5 :)

Anubis 12 May 2021 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predseda (Post 1483174)

You missed Workbench 2.0 - what a change...

kremiso 12 May 2021 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predseda (Post 1483174)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubis (Post 1483235)
You missed Workbench 2.0 - what a change...

lol, there was also a ProTracker version that i liked more than the latest ones...
just the gfx

---
After Shadow of the beast 1, me and my friends were waiting about how it would have been the 'goat man' (we called with this name the main character :) ) in the following chapters... tremendously disappointed to see the like 'prehistorik man'
and even more with the anonymous man with the hat :confused

demoniac 12 May 2021 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherno (Post 1482811)
I recently watched this playthrough with lots of trivia about the game, highly recommended https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCcD6ZqtUl0

I watched part of that a little while back. The PC speaker is horrible! Gaming Jay liked the sequel, so that got me thinking about it again before this thread started and led to my question.

I also found out recently that the C64 version of Inception has 2 more mechs -- Spider and Javelin -- https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/Battle...%27s_Inception . It would be somewhat interesting to see what the 2 mechs are like.

kremiso 14 May 2021 11:34

found myself another match, on Amiga
Alien Bash - Alien Bash 2 , two PD games

the first has some Alien Breed influences, the second A LOT of Chaos Engine ones, almost a clone

gg, the second

Rissy 14 May 2021 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1482661)
Flashback is not a sequel of Another World. The sequel is "Heart of the Alien"

OMG! I. DID. NOT. KNOW. THIS!

Why am i only discovering this now!?

Was this sequel ever released on the Amiga?

DamienD 14 May 2021 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rissy (Post 1483554)
OMG! I. DID. NOT. KNOW. THIS!

Why am i only discovering this now!?

Was this sequel ever released on the Amiga?

...not natively unfortunately.

Luckily for all of us though, a port was done :great

See here: [Sega CD --> Amiga] Heart of the Alien