English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Proper HD and WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=30282)

Macca 07 June 2007 21:48

Actually it doesnt format with anything.. :(

Jimbo 07 June 2007 21:52

Once the drive is seen in hdtoolbox, and you follow KG's guide down to a T. Then to be honest you cant go wrong. Just make sure sfsformat is where you are telling WB it is.

Macca 07 June 2007 21:53

Error (red screen reset)

0000 0004 / 1000 2224

If that helps?

Jimbo 07 June 2007 21:55

OOOOOOOOO Technical numbers.
Sorry But PASS

:)

Macca 07 June 2007 21:59

Just ended up formatting it with normal filesystem which worked fine.

I'll transfer lots of ADFs to it just so I have my disks working (for some reason my install disk is broken - sigh) and then sort out SFS

killergorilla 08 June 2007 11:13

You can't really sort out SFS later as you need to format the drive and you'll wipe everything off it :)

Macca 08 June 2007 13:05

Right then - short post is that it's all working now.

Long post - went through the installation guide and got a reset on WinUAE with the error above. After formatting normally it all went well got it working in real amiga managed to write my install ADFs again and all was well. Then realised I was missing IDEFix and took the hard-drive out to remedy this. After putting it back in the Amiga the hard-drive failed so went in the bin.

Got in work today and got another HD out and started following the guide. Everything this time went perfectly well (Windows XP Pro here so that may be why). SFS installed and the hard-drive formatted nicely. Now just getting a few things from KG's WHD site to play with.

Anyway thanks a lot for the guide it is excellent and is now printed out and in my desk for when I next need it!

M.

killergorilla 08 June 2007 13:12

I love it when a plan comes together!

If anyone spots anything in my guide that needs updating please let me know :)

Macca 08 June 2007 14:17

One thing I did notice is that when you download SFS and extract it the path is different to that mentioned in the guide.

It's not really that difficult but its something like:

df0:sfsfilesystem/amigaos3.x/l/sfsfilesystem

Just have to beware the operating system I guess if you choose OS4 it will feck your system.. :)

M.

killergorilla 08 June 2007 15:09

ah yeah, that's a good point.

Now it's available for both OS3.X and OS4 it's slightly different... I'll take a look and update the wiki, thanks!

DanE 23 June 2007 15:52

im having a similar problem, im using a usb caddie but winuae wont detect it even if i use the -disableharddrivesafetycheck.

ive tried using an eros cd but when it boots up it gets so far and then gets stuck saying something like "floppy resending" and just keeps repeating that line over and over,

im using a laptop and dont even have a floppy drive or any other way of conacting this 2.5" drive only usb is available.

Ive got a lovley black Amiga 1200 with an internal cd drive, accelerator and a buggered floppy drive that i really want to use but cant untill i A - get another floppy drive or
B - somehow install workbench on this harddrive

Please Helllpppppppp:bash

Toni Wilen 23 June 2007 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanE
im having a similar problem, im using a usb caddie but winuae wont detect it even if i use the -disableharddrivesafetycheck.

Check winuaebootlog.txt (click add harddrive, exit winuae)

Latest winuae beta has "better" harddrive dialog (all harddrives are always listed)

Anyway, my guess is that your harddrive is "too" old and has bugs in higher transfer modes (or does not even support any DMA modes) that modern PCs try to enable. Easiest workaround is to use IDE 2.5" to 3.5" adapter instead of USB + force lower transfer modes in bios in worst case.

spannernick 23 June 2007 17:36

Black Amiga 1200...wow....?

DanE 23 June 2007 18:55

check out the pictures there somewere on this thread

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=25565&page=2

Ive managed to format the drive using my old desktop computer, but winuae still refuses to recognise the drive on my laptop, never mind at least i can put the drive back in my amiga now.

spannernick 18 July 2007 15:33

I have a problem..
I have conected my hard drive via usb and added it to winuae fine,I can see it on the workbench as a icon but when i run toolbox it dosen't see it at all..??

musashi5150 18 July 2007 16:03

I think you have to adjust the tooltypes for the HDToolBox app. Others will probably correct me, but I think it's "DEVICE=uaescsi.device" ? You highlight the apps icon and then choose a menu option... can't remember what it's called though (I'm at work).

Toni Wilen 18 July 2007 16:19

uaehf.device

musashi5150 18 July 2007 16:32

I stand corrected... in my imagination uaehf.device was for hardfiles :)

Toni Wilen 18 July 2007 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by musashi5150 (Post 344993)
I stand corrected... in my imagination uaehf.device was for hardfiles :)

hardfiles and real harddrives are exact same thing internally.

spannernick 18 July 2007 19:56

So what do i do then,Can someone post step by step please..?