English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Is Puzzle Bobble possible on A500/A1200? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=103635)

nobody 20 August 2020 14:38

Well to say that you need AGA for puzzle bobble is hilarious. What next? Pacman on 68030 only, with rainbow colored ghosts?

daxb 20 August 2020 14:39

I would also say that around 4 different colors for a bubble could be enough. nobody showed that 1-2 colors can be used for a different color bubble and IMO they are look good enough. More important is the gameplay. Should be equal or better. :)

skan 20 August 2020 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobody (Post 1422165)
Well to say that you need AGA for puzzle bobble is hilarious. What next? Pacman on 68030 only, with rainbow colored ghosts?

Why not? :p

Seriously, nobody said AGA only because of color count and/or palette, but: a) the arcade is pretty colorful so AGA wouldn't hurt and b) I was talking about performance mostly, hence an 020+AGA *could* possibily be a bit better in this case compared to an unexpanded A500 (again, think of 50fps with shitloads of stuff onscreen), but I don't know much anyway and you can prove me wrong anytime. So please do.

gimbal 20 August 2020 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobody (Post 1422165)

It isn't when you speak of an arcade-perfect conversion. But the original post makes no such claim.

EDIT: ninja'd by the author of the OP itself :)

nobody 20 August 2020 15:28

In pixel graphics some times less is more. Not talking zx spectrum 2 Color graphics but as many colors as it needs to be recognisable and decent. Neo geo graphics are an overkill for such a game. Maybe even better if they had used less colors, it has more character. I see tons of colors that are pretty close one to another. They just had them and threw them here and there, no cost at all.

Tigerskunk 20 August 2020 15:43

You can usually make a conversion of every game to a platform that's one gen down. Maybe even two.

It's always just a question of acceptable FPS, resolution and colour count in the end.
And that differs by viewer.

So, the answer to the OPs question is yes (on OCS). But it would not look like the arcade/NeoGeo version.

On AGA no problem.

Tigerskunk 20 August 2020 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by roondar (Post 1422139)
I've never seen that as a goal in and of itself. To me this way of looking at things would make conversions like Rygar and Tiny Bubble more or less pointless - MAME will always be better than any conversion. Personally, I'd say it's better to aim for a good game.

Okay, let's say it the other way: would -> I <- want to spend a couple of months to a year of my time creating a version on the Amiga that looks shit?

See the Metal Slug thread, and why no one gave it a try (except Sandruzzo, and he gave up quickly as far as i know).

roondar 20 August 2020 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steril707 (Post 1422190)
Okay, let's say it the other way: would -> I <- want to spend a couple of months to a year of my time creating a version on the Amiga that looks shit?

I never suggested anyone should put in effort to create something that they don't feel good about making. I was trying to get across that arcade perfect is not needed to have a good, fun port of a game. I do hope my reply didn't come across as unfriendly, because that was not the intention.

And perhaps incorrectly, I think that something that looks enough like Puzzle Bobble for it not to look terrible and still be fun to play can probably be achieved on the A500. Sure, it might not be on the level of SNES port, but it'll probably be a lot better than the Game Gear version.

skan 20 August 2020 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobody (Post 1422183)
In pixel graphics some times less is more. Not talking zx spectrum 2 Color graphics but as many colors as it needs to be recognisable and decent. Neo geo graphics are an overkill for such a game. Maybe even better if they had used less colors, it has more character. I see tons of colors that are pretty close one to another. They just had them and threw them here and there, no cost at all.

I agree, partly.

Yes - sometimes less is more, as long as we stay away from the "modern" take on pixel art (read: blocky, aliased and shitty coloured, but hey, it sells on Steam!). Like you said, as long as it recognisable and decent, has attitude and character. Again, maybe a little bit better than modern shit and with proper "character" I might add! ;)

No - I'm not against "fat" pixel art per se (as in "Neo-Geo fat" :D )
Sometimes less is more, sometimes more is better: no overkill, just more artistic control IMHO. As long as it's not over-satuarated, I'm ok with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steril707 (Post 1422188)
It's always just a question of acceptable FPS, resolution and colour count in the end.
And that differs by viewer.

So, the answer to the OPs question is yes (on OCS). But it would not look like the arcade/NeoGeo version.

On AGA no problem.

Both scenarios sound good to me! :)

saimon69 20 August 2020 17:46

I would say, just for the current attitude, we are really standing on shoulder of giants :/

Tigerskunk 20 August 2020 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by roondar (Post 1422198)
I do hope my reply didn't come across as unfriendly, because that was not the intention.

Same for me, hope it didn't come across as such..

Always a pleasure to discuss with you, Roondar.. :)

nikosidis 20 August 2020 20:23

Like Steril707 said it will require AGA to make it look exactly like the original.
I still think that with some clever use of colors the game would almost look as good on OCS.

skan 20 August 2020 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikosidis (Post 1422262)
Like Steril707 said it will require AGA to make it look exactly like the original.
I still think that with some clever use of colors the game would almost look as good on OCS.

Again, it's not about gfx only, but the whole package: smoothness, speed, gameplay. But hey if coders here say that's just a breeze even on A500, who am I to disagree? :D

saimon69 20 August 2020 21:38

Well, as pixel artist i can say that with three shades of color well placed you can reach a good result for bubbles and use sprites for it

EDIT

ok, so am looking at some sprite sheet and i see a lot of stuff,definitely reduction need to be made, and probably sprites cannot be used
Puzzle Bobble Sprites

skan 20 August 2020 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by saimon69 (Post 1422285)
Well, as pixel artist i can say that with three shades of color well placed you can reach a good result for bubbles and use sprites for it

i can agree on the result, but don't think you can use sprites for all those bubbles...

saimon69 20 August 2020 22:00

not only that, but there are eight bubbles, this means even with three colors we have 24 allocated ones for bubbles while only 15 slots for sprite colors available;color reuse is almost mandatory (sprite can still be used for the bubble shot, however)

skan 21 August 2020 01:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by saimon69 (Post 1422291)
not only that, but there are eight bubbles, this means even with three colors we have 24 allocated ones for bubbles while only 15 slots for sprite colors available;color reuse is almost mandatory (sprite can still be used for the bubble shot, however)

That, or maybe borders, background or score.

NorthWay 21 August 2020 01:53

Is it just me, or would this be a good candidate for trying HAM? Let the background use a few static colours and have the bubbles use the rest of the palette to make them standalone objects? Perhaps even use sprites for backgrounds to free up more of the palette.

skan 21 August 2020 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthWay (Post 1422331)
Is it just me, or would this be a good candidate for trying HAM?

Erhmmm...don't think so. Anyboby sane enough wouldn't rely on HAM except for watching old Playboy scans from the late 80's ;)

malko 21 August 2020 08:39

I'm a bit rusty in math but it seems to me that with 15 different colors, we already have 455 possible arrangements.
Well I'm not saying that all colour mixes give good results, but theoretically, there is room for 8 bubbles, no ?
Differentiating them quickly is another story of course :p