English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SkillGrid - new AGA game in the works (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=89376)

vulture 09 November 2017 13:43

Yeah, it was just a thought as I like fast-scrolling, still a must-buy when you release it m8!

saimo 09 November 2017 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by vulture (Post 1198244)
Yeah, it was just a thought as I like fast-scrolling, still a must-buy when you release it m8!

Wow, hearing that someone is already willing to buy this thing that was just born is quite something :D

@ BTW, I was thinking of realising it as an inexpensive (like, a couple of Euros) download. But let me ask: would you be interested in a physical release (that is, if the game, quality-wise, deserves it)?

Gzegzolka 09 November 2017 18:07

I would be interested in digital download. It can be adf, dms, whd or lha with game that can be unpacked and played. I am all the way for digital :)
I think I will buy it and play under winuae.
But I also understood people who want to own physical copy on floppy disk in nice box, like collector edition.

Overflow 09 November 2017 19:21

I will buy too!

And I prefer digital download myself. I got enough paper and plastic in my trashcan as it is.

vulture 09 November 2017 19:22

Personally, I'm all for digital downloads, I hardly even have space for my physical music collection these days! :) But, yeah, sure, I think there'll be interest for such a release if the final product deserves it, Tales of Gorluth proved that I believe.

Predseda 09 November 2017 21:01

I am definitely for physical release, but if there would be only a digital copy for purchase, I will buy it.

saimo 09 November 2017 22:43

Thanks for the feedback, guys! It's way too early to take a decision, but your opinion is valuable.

DamienD 09 November 2017 22:56

...not that my opinion is worth the time that to took me to write this post but :cheese

I'm with Gzegzolka, Overflow and vulture :agree

...I have enough shite in my house (1000 x 7" & 12" vinyls, DVDs, HotRodSE, blah, blah, blah), I don't need any more "physical" stuff.

That's not to say that you shouldn't also pursue a "boxed" release if people want it; but just make sure that a "digital download" option is available :agree

saimo 09 November 2017 22:59

Ah, now I see that my words could be misinterpreted! The game will be available for download for sure - the physical release is only meant to be an additional option.

klx300r 10 November 2017 00:15

@ saimo

new classic AGa game= :great:spin:bowdown

btw, I'd love to see both digital and physical copy when released

saimo 10 November 2017 00:37

@klx300r

OK, noted!

saimo 06 December 2017 15:27

SPEEDGRID - PREVIEW #2

Development slowed down a bit due to work done on other projects and some real-life issues, but it didn't stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1og-4VjkbgE

This video demonstrates the new features (in particular, the audio engine):
* 3 channels allocated dynamically for one-shot sounds;
* 1 channel allocated for the afterburner looping sound;
* variable afterburner sound frequency, depending on the ship Y speed (calculated taking into account also the scrolling);
* music cell: when caught, music kicks in; as long as music plays, the cells layer is green, meaning that the maluses do not hurt anymore (they award points, instead; the X/Y swap maluses also remove the X/Y swapping);
* music in the form of a 14 bit PCM sample, played at ~28.9 kHz;
* the new way that the BRAKE cell works (before it brought the scrolling speed to the minimun, now it halves it);
* the new BOOST cell (it doubles the scrolling speed);
* slightly different color scheme;
* other minor changes.

Notes:
* music requires two channels; while playing, the other two channels can be freely used for other sounds;
* music playback supports looping (not demonstrated in the video; will be used during bossfights);
* the afterburner sound is off while music plays to allow enjoying the music better and leaving a channel free for the more important events-related sounds;
* the afterburner sound volume is kept low so that it does not become annoying;
* the music is a temporary placeholder; it is an excerpt from Multiball by Machinae Supremacy (a cover of the Pinball Dreams tracker module by Olof Gustafsson);
* despite the high quality of the original video, the compression applied by YouTube causes the quality to degrade steadily after a key frame and until the next one is reached (I guess); anyway, when key frames are displayed and/or the scrolling isn't too fast, it is almost possible to see the actual graphics (especially in the last final seconds).

kgc210 06 December 2017 18:56

This is coming on great, good work!

Shatterhand 06 December 2017 19:01

Looks cool! Unfortunately I have no AGA machine, so won't be able to play it. Yet, looks pretty interesting game, keep up with the good work!

Predseda 06 December 2017 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shatterhand (Post 1204336)
Looks cool! Unfortunately I have no AGA machine, so won't be able to play it. Yet, looks pretty interesting game, keep up with the good work!

Have you ever heard about the wonderful world of emulation? ;)

Shatterhand 07 December 2017 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predseda (Post 1204356)
Have you ever heard about the wonderful world of emulation? ;)

Emulation are for impure souls. My pure body touches nothing but the real metal. The only way to ascend to heavens is to abdicate any kind of emulation, as it is a dirty thing and it will leave your soul impure and not able to walk into the heavens.

-

:D Nah, I really dislike emulation.

saimo 07 December 2017 01:08

@ kgc210 Shatterhand

Thank you!

@Shatterhand

Just think that since, at the moment, I can't use my A1200, the game is being developed on UAE (but someone else is testing it on a real stock A1200 for me) ;)

Shatterhand 07 December 2017 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by saimo (Post 1204424)
@ kgc210 Shatterhand

Thank you!

@Shatterhand

Just think that since, at the moment, I can't use my A1200, the game is being developed on UAE (but someone else is testing it on a real stock A1200 for me) ;)

I actually use Winuae to code too..... the higher Gods forgive the use of emulation for programming, but NOT FOR GAMING. It's written on the sacred parchments of the retrocomputing religion. :D

Gzegzolka 07 December 2017 15:44

That is cool to see progress :) Good work!

malko 12 March 2018 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shatterhand (Post 1204511)
I actually use Winuae to code too..... the higher Gods forgive the use of emulation for programming, but NOT FOR GAMING. It's written on the sacred parchments of the retrocomputing religion. :D

:laughing !

Quote:

Originally Posted by saimo (Post 1226346)
Nope, there's no way something like this could run on a classic Amiga.

(Regarding classic Amigas, I hope life will let me finish this other game).

A1200 is not classic Amiga :D (joke)
Like the video. Hope you will have the needed time to finish it :great .