English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hired Guns for CD32?? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=83776)

Gzegzolka 21 February 2018 08:57

It would be so cool if one day this version would be released :)

sokolovic 27 February 2018 11:22

Any news ? That's strange that such a big new isn't stiring the Amiga community.

spacey 01 March 2018 07:47

i'd certainly love this to see the light of day! many fond memories of HG back in the day

spudje 30 April 2018 20:08

Any updates? I hoped the retrohour interview led to a release...

Amigajay 30 April 2018 20:12

No, but good reminder, he said he was putting a video together, but no show on that either!

Anachronist 03 June 2018 00:45

Still no word? I would do terrible things for an improved Hired Guns.

danwood_uk 16 June 2018 22:05

Hey all, just an update - I am still working on this. I've got the game booting and burned a successful CD32 image from the archives I received. However, the CD32 enhancements look like an animated intro... which doesn't work currently. It just shows a few still frames then progresses into the main game, which doesn't really look any more enhanced over the original Amiga version from initial impressions except it has CD32 controller support.

I am working with someone who has some good CDXL knowledge to try and get the intro working. The image is around 15MB so there is a good 12 MB of extra data on this version, hopefully we can unlock that goodness.

But at the moment, not really much more to show than a version of the A500 game with CD32 controller support, but it is a work in progress. :)

That said, I also have some very interesting artwork and internal development notes in the archive which I can hopefully share at some point, they make very interesting reading!

NeoHippie2016 16 June 2018 22:47

Can't waiting for...

Amigajay 16 June 2018 23:14

Sounds standard for a CD32 enhanced version then, though the rumours of 256 colour in-game graphics dont look like they were true then, or either they werent passed on to the coders for the latest build at the time when they cancelled it?

Lorfarius 09 January 2019 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by danwood_uk (Post 1248769)
Hey all, just an update - I am still working on this. I've got the game booting and burned a successful CD32 image from the archives I received. However, the CD32 enhancements look like an animated intro... which doesn't work currently. It just shows a few still frames then progresses into the main game, which doesn't really look any more enhanced over the original Amiga version from initial impressions except it has CD32 controller support.

I am working with someone who has some good CDXL knowledge to try and get the intro working. The image is around 15MB so there is a good 12 MB of extra data on this version, hopefully we can unlock that goodness.

But at the moment, not really much more to show than a version of the A500 game with CD32 controller support, but it is a work in progress. :)

That said, I also have some very interesting artwork and internal development notes in the archive which I can hopefully share at some point, they make very interesting reading!

Any updates? :D

Anachronist 07 February 2019 13:15

One of the things mentioned were improved/more sounds in the AGA version. Have you noticed any or seen any additional sound files?

xubidoo 08 February 2019 02:05

i hope something comes of this at some point, loved playing it on the A1200 back in the day with the extra sound effects the A1200 gave

AmigaHope 13 February 2019 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anachronist (Post 1303097)
One of the things mentioned were improved/more sounds in the AGA version. Have you noticed any or seen any additional sound files?

I'm pretty sure the original game had improved/more sounds if you had at least 1M of fast RAM and at least 1M of chip RAM with either ECS or AGA. Don't think it had any benefit from 2M of chip RAM.

Anachronist 16 February 2019 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmigaHope (Post 1304462)
I'm pretty sure the original game had improved/more sounds if you had at least 1M of fast RAM and at least 1M of chip RAM with either ECS or AGA. Don't think it had any benefit from 2M of chip RAM.

Yes that's right. :) What I'm referring to is an interview where the programmer was describing some of the differences in the unreleased AGA version and one of the things that he mentioned were more sound effects.

AmigaHope 16 February 2019 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anachronist (Post 1305069)
Yes that's right. :) What I'm referring to is an interview where the programmer was describing some of the differences in the unreleased AGA version and one of the things that he mentioned were more sound effects.

So was it basically an ECS version that could use 2M chipmem or did it actually use AGA-only features? The existing ECS version wants 2M total (of which 1M is chipmem), so if they did an AGA version it would still only have 2M to work with on a base A1200, but maybe they similarly would enhance the AGA version so it would fill up more chipmem with effects if you had FAST RAM?

xubidoo 19 October 2019 23:00

i take it this never amounted to anything then, shame as it would have been another gem for the CD32, but sounds like it wasnt really any different from the standard A500 version, just enhanced sound effects with 2mb chip ram (same as the A1200) and maybe a decent intro.

wairnair 24 August 2020 09:31

Any progress since then?

Actually, I'd gladly play the A500 version with CD32 pad support on the CD32, I don't care much about the intro. Is it available somewhere?

@danwood_uk do you think you could put it in the zone maybe? :)

Quote:

chocolate_boy 29 July 2021 01:32

It's out there, anybody played it yet?

turrican3 29 July 2021 19:13

Quote:

you should share the iso with the amiga community asap because there is talented coders etc... everywhere in this community.
A commun effort could lead to a faster solution.
You should share this part of history.

chocolate_boy 29 July 2021 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by turrican3 (Post 1498500)
you should share the iso with the amiga community asap because there is talented coders etc... everywhere in this community.
A commun effort could lead to a faster solution.
You should share this part of history.

https://archive.org/details/hired-guns-cd-32-dev-files