English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ACA500 plus? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=79303)

spudje 11 December 2016 23:24

I don't think a new thread is needed, we can use this one right?

Jens published impressive details on the ACA500plus!! https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/...CA500plus.html

I'm still in doubt whether I want to get my A500 out of the closet, as I already have an A1200, A3000, A4000 and CD32 operational. But both this and the vampire are tempting.

I have a rev5 board and a 512 KB Memory expansion (battery removed). Is it enough to get a newer Fat Agnus and Denise (and some backup CIA 8520s as they tend to break down a lot) to get it working with the 1 MB chipmem hack of the ACA500plus?

azuvix 12 December 2016 05:40

Well dang, no wonder they're sold out.

Jope 12 December 2016 08:12

They haven't been in stock yet, so I doubt anyone has had the chance to order one yet.

demolition 12 December 2016 11:04

The features of the ACA500plus sounds very nice indeed. I see several innovative features and I think it is how the ACA500 always should have been. :)

It is very much directed towards people who has an old A500 in the closet and just want to use it again without too much hassle.

Schoenfeld 12 December 2016 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudje (Post 1127863)
I have a rev5 board and a 512 KB Memory expansion (battery removed). Is it enough to get a newer Fat Agnus and Denise (and some backup CIA 8520s as they tend to break down a lot) to get it working with the 1 MB chipmem hack of the ACA500plus?

Yes, if you insert the 8372a Agnus in the Rev.5 board, it will just work with 1M Chipram and no further soldering. Denise does not make a difference there, only Agnus is responsible for the size of available Chipram.

Jens

BarryB 12 December 2016 15:27

Is there an upgrade path for existing ACA500 users, other than sell it and buy the ACA500plus?

Schoenfeld 12 December 2016 15:52

Sorry, no upgrade program. However, you may be able to sell your old model easily, as the ACA500 is still a good card, probably wanted by a lot of people. Maybe a few less, now that all features of the new card are known :-)

Jens

demolition 12 December 2016 16:00

Used ACA500 has until now been quite sought after so I imagine you will be able to sell it without significant loss. It is also cheaper than the new version so some people might be fine with the old version if they don't need the new features.

BarryB 12 December 2016 16:45

How long before the plus is on sale again?

demolition 12 December 2016 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryB (Post 1127968)
How long before the plus is on sale again?

Again? It is a new product which has not launched yet.

BarryB 12 December 2016 16:53

Ah! I meant how long before it's on sale, didn't mean to put 'again'.

Schoenfeld 12 December 2016 17:33

I am waiting for a confirmation from the service company that makes the plastic parts that go under the CF card slots. Once I know when these will be shipped, I can give a delivery date, and once I have that, I'll start taking orders. It'll be tight before Xmas, but DHL promises to deliver on dec. 24th if the parcel has been shipped on or before dec. 23rd, "high noon". That's for Germany only, though.

For all EU customers, it will most likely arrive between Xmas and new year's, and if you're on a different continent, it will most likely not arrive this year any more.

Jens

BarryB 12 December 2016 18:04

PM me when you're taking orders so I don't miss out :great

Schoenfeld 12 December 2016 18:30

Added two more passages to the product description: Up to three clock port devices (due to support of clock ports on the A1200 accelerator), make use of RTC, wherever it's connected (Trapdoor, ACA500plus clock port, A1200 accelerator) and most of all: The Cloaking device.

Jens

Signman 12 December 2016 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schoenfeld (Post 1127986)
Added two more passages to the product description: Up to three clock port devices (due to support of clock ports on the A1200 accelerator), make use of RTC, wherever it's connected (Trapdoor, ACA500plus clock port, A1200 accelerator) and most of all: The Cloaking device.

Jens

According to treaty with Romulans, cloaking devices are verboten.
(ok, that's geeky)

BarryB 12 December 2016 20:13

Cloaking Mode? Hope that doesn't mean it's going to 'disappear' when I come to order one :lol

Schoenfeld 12 December 2016 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signman (Post 1128012)
(ok, that's geeky)

The whole product is geeky. If it wasn't for all those details like cycle-exact slowdown for Fastmem (although the chip bus is not available on the outside bus), floppy control and Cloaking device, we could have saved a considerable amount of development time. However, it wouldn't be the same product for both re-entry customers and for geeks like those who are frequent visitors of this forum.

If you're interested, read one of the longest register-level descriptions I have ever written.

Jens

Signman 12 December 2016 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schoenfeld (Post 1128029)
The whole product is geeky. If it wasn't for all those details like cycle-exact slowdown for Fastmem (although the chip bus is not available on the outside bus), floppy control and Cloaking device, we could have saved a considerable amount of development time. However, it wouldn't be the same product for both re-entry customers and for geeks like those who are frequent visitors of this forum.

If you're interested, read one of the longest register-level descriptions I have ever written.

Jens

No, I meant my star trek reference. Maybe nerdy would work better.
As far as these computer peripherals I have an end users appreciation for it. Technically, a lot over my head, but interesting.

As far as you link, you could have posted it all in German and I would have understood just as much :)

monkat 13 December 2016 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schoenfeld (Post 1127974)
I am waiting for a confirmation from the service company that makes the plastic parts that go under the CF card slots. Once I know when these will be shipped, I can give a delivery date, and once I have that, I'll start taking orders. It'll be tight before Xmas, but DHL promises to deliver on dec. 24th if the parcel has been shipped on or before dec. 23rd, "high noon". That's for Germany only, though.

For all EU customers, it will most likely arrive between Xmas and new year's, and if you're on a different continent, it will most likely not arrive this year any more.

Jens

Can I ask if this is going to be well stocked? I'm keen to get one but with no (I believe) pre-order opportunities or signup for email notifications I just hope I hear about it going on sale and don't want to miss out :)

Thanks!

Superman 13 December 2016 12:05

I noticed an original one on ebay recently for £299. Its value will soon tumble when this new version appears.