English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Amiga A1200 graphics card discussion (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=77789)

Sandro 10 April 2015 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaCoder (Post 1014120)

Personally I'd be happy if I could run Quake 2 with all the effects enabled at a consistent 15 FPS ime...[/URL]

15fps is unplayable horrible to play, why wasting money in the AMiga to play a game that was designed for the PC

ie after I played some games at 120hz and 144hz I'm refusing to play anything at lower framerate, even playing some FPS game at 60fps constant, is something about the past for me

btw,

to play quake 2 at 60fps you need something like a 020 clocked at 1.5 ghz, or a 060 clocked around 500mhz , I think nobody can create a FPGA accel at such clocks

pandy71 10 April 2015 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by eXeler0 (Post 1014107)
*Any other wild ideas?

IMO, the most likely solution is an FPGA containing all the good stuff in the same chip.
Agree? Disagree? Opinion?

/eX

FPGA Amiga local bus (Zorro is to slow) to PCIe translator - this can be made on FPGA without problems - connect regular PCIe card.

Any other approach have no sense IMHO.

eXeler0 10 April 2015 15:31

Sandro.. nostalgia and love for retro stuff isnt logical..
I was gonna write something else here, but the only thing I can come up with is. .
"Why are you here?" :-) (no offense)
Just seems like the wrong place to hang around at for someone who can only play games @120Hz " :-) (and how about we let everyone decide for themselves whats playable and what isnt)
Whatever miracle we can achieve in an A1200 is still lightyears from a modern PC.
Its just that for some of us that was never the goal.

Cheers
/eX

NovaCoder 11 April 2015 01:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by eXeler0 (Post 1014296)
I was gonna write something else here, but the only thing I can come up with is. .
Just seems like the wrong place to hang around at for someone who can only play games @120Hz " :-) (and how about we let everyone decide for themselves whats playable and what isnt)
Whatever miracle we can achieve in an A1200 is still lightyears from a modern PC.

Cheers
/eX

I agree, if you really want a fast and powerful Amiga (in modern terms) then just go and build yourself an AROS box or run WinUAE on a PC....easy :p

Sandro 11 April 2015 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by eXeler0 (Post 1014296)

Cheers
/eX

nostalgia in Amiga is not about doom or quake 2, those games were designed for a PC, even those ports are not official were done by fans

if you have nostalgia to play Genetic species,Alien breed3d2 that's OK, were exclusive games for the Amiga
but nostalgia to play doom or quake 2 ????? I don't understand

btw, of course I not only play games at 120 fps,also I play games at 60fps,same games are still blocked by coders at 60 fps

but the 120 fps gaming experience is amazing,
playing a 3d game at less than 60 FPS is ridiculous today

eXeler0 11 April 2015 13:10

Actually I never mentioned Quake II, have not played it on Amiga (Nova Coder is an ace programmer who has ported a lot of stuff to classic Amigas so he got Q2 running on an AGA1200)
Still, Quake I was officially released on Amiga. Why does it matter if uts originally a PC release if people actually played it on their 060 Amiga first. Then thats the memories they have about it...
Alien Breed 3d2 TKG could ofcourse also use a speed boost beyond anything that was available at the time. But thats not the whole thing, there's the allure of getting new stuff to run on old hardware.
If you only want to play FPS game at 120Hz thats fine by me, but I dont quite get why you are trying to convince the rest of us that its stupid to play anything that doesn't go 60Hz or above.
Let people have their own experiences with this stuff. :-)
Im sure almost everyone here also owns a fast PC when they get tired of nostalgia.

Hewitson 11 April 2015 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandro (Post 1014264)
15fps is unplayable horrible to play, why wasting money in the AMiga to play a game that was designed for the PC

I never thought I'd agree with one of your posts, but I couldn't agree more with this. Why play something running like shit on the Amiga when it runs perfectly on a 15 year old PC? Makes no sense.

stachu100 11 April 2015 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaCoder (Post 1014111)
I don't really like the idea personally.

There's already been a lot of talk about plans to produce an FPGA computer that plugs into the A1200's expansion port which will have on-board graphics and HDMI output. In my opinion you then up up with a new computer attached to a retro keyboard which is housed in a retro case.

This is exactly my opinion too.
Better to go into UAE direction. It's much cheaper and less problematic in terms of hardware flaws.

I prefer real hardware with real 060 anyway. :-)

kipper2k 11 April 2015 15:31

I like the idea of being able to enjoy a high quality video output. A lot of people are using external means anyway to increase video quality like svideo, scart and HDMI adapters so why not eliminate the need for an adapter and move it inside the Amiga ?

eXeler0 11 April 2015 15:35

Well there is no correct answer here other than that its obvious that people feel differently in this matter.. there are those who spend a lot o time and effort to create something for this 20+ year old platform and then there are those that don't.

Pure software emulation IS the *logical* alternative. We could probably agree on that. But as I said before, for me something gets "lots in translation" and I quickly lose interest in the whole thing.

The new FPGA projects are interesting for a different reason. For me, the fascination lies in the fact that we can finally get something that could have happened but never did. I was fully aware about the AAA chipset development back 1992 or so and used to tell my PC bud who would bash the Amiga "just wait and see when AAA comes out" or something like that.. obviously that never happened but now, a handful of enthusiasts can make it happen and for some reason, I think thats nice. ;-) (EDIT: I'm not saying someone is actually doing AAA in FPGA, rather I'm referring to projects such as the SuperAGA)

As for the original topic of this thread, I don't think anyone is expecting GeForce 980 in their Amiga. Rather something that would give us an affordable Picasso 96 RTG board with a modern flicker free output to monitors. If it was a new BlizzardVision that doesn't require a PPC card, that would be enough.

So lets forget the amount of FPS Quake should be played at and remember that there actually were a lot of 3rd party graphics cards available for the Amiga all along. Its not an abomination to equip the A1200 with one. All it takes is a design that fits in the desktop case.
/eX