English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   New to Emulation or Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Why is the Amiga display not centered? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67165)

Amiga1992 28 December 2012 16:43

I don't think anything hitting the hardware directly takes into account any sort of Workbench preferences setting.

roy bates 28 December 2012 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 858295)
I don't think anything hitting the hardware directly takes into account any sort of Workbench preferences setting.

true,just thinking off the top of my head.

DH 28 December 2012 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveMB (Post 858286)
Oh please, his post reeks of attitude..And arrogance.

"This is a FACT and it isn't up for doubting" Seriously?

As i said i had no such problems with real hardware so this issue does not affect everybody.

And any emphasis on the word 'fact' is obvious attitude....his word is law and all who disagree are wrong..

Like I said, I see no real issues with what Akira posted, FACT!

The only thing I see as being offensive is YOU calling Akira a c@#t, this is not acceptable on this board nor is it up for debate either, so please, if you can't be civil then don't waste your time posting in this thread.

Let's get back on topic now

DaveMB 28 December 2012 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 858289)
as you can see from posts from OTHER people, you clearly have no idea of what you are talking about

And as you can see from posts from OTHER people not everybody has this problem.

DH 28 December 2012 18:00

Hmm

DaveMB I already caught your message before you edited it, I will be contacting you via PM

BippyM 28 December 2012 20:44

Edited the post to remove offending language. Will discuss with the mods directly!

Mark Wright 28 December 2012 21:40

Another post to vouch for what Akira is saying. It was always something that annoyed me back in the day because, having played with the hold on the telly so the default prefs showed a centred CLI/WB screen, lots of people compensated with their own custom prefs on each disk, so CLI menus and OS-respecting programs would all be shunted to the left :-)

In my 20 years' experience of lots of different Amigas, every system I've eveer encountered defaults to the right - on some displays, only slightly - on other displays it's more noticeable.

EDIT: 100th post in only ten years! Is this some kind of record? ;-)

Retrofan 28 December 2012 22:09

Perhaps Jens knows more about why this happens. Anyway the indi screenmodes are also to the right (at least HighGFX that I use) ... till the new core.

And off topic, but I would like to use HighGFX with WinUAE. I wonder if that's possible, Superplus runs right.

thomas 28 December 2012 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrofan (Post 858330)
I would like to use HighGFX with WinUAE. I wonder if that's possible

Yes, it is.

Amiga1992 28 December 2012 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrofan (Post 858330)
Perhaps Jens knows more about why this happens.

That's right. He might know something. I hope he catches a glimpse of this thread. My scandoubler also defaults to the right.

So far only Toni seems to have a theory on why this happens.

Retrofan 29 December 2012 00:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas (Post 858332)
Yes, it is.

But 16:9 in my Samsung 24" Tv and the screen is too large, with a lot of space out. 4:3 and too small. I can use it in this TV with the Indi.

robinsonb5 29 December 2012 00:40

I wonder if the RF modulator causes a delay in the HSync? (The buffered VGA interface i needed to get a stable picture from my A4000 certainly did.) Such a delay would shift the picture left, and thus the default position's to the right to compensate?

thomas 29 December 2012 00:46

3 Attachment(s)
On WinUAE's display page select 1024x768 and centering, on the filter page select none, no scaling and aspect ratio disabled. Then run Prefs/Screenmode and select HighGfx:Superhires Laced.

Similarly select 1280x720 on display and HD720:Superhires laced in Prefs/Screenmode for 16:9.

junosix 29 December 2012 00:49

Yeah, I noticed this back in the day on my mate's PAL A500 through RF. Screen shifted to the right to the point of overscanning, with a big border on the left hand side.

roy bates 29 December 2012 01:11

does anyone know how many pixals pal and ntsc have as a max,compared to what workbench uses as a default?

Amiga1992 29 December 2012 01:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinsonb5 (Post 858347)
I wonder if the RF modulator causes a delay in the HSync?

But I don't think such delay would apply if you use composite, RGB or, in my case, a scandoubler pinching the signals straight from the custom chips.

robinsonb5 29 December 2012 01:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 858357)
But I don't think such delay would apply if you use composite, RGB or, in my case, a scandoubler pinching the signals straight from the custom chips.

No exactly - that's my point. A delay on the HSync would shift the picture to the left, so I'm wondering if the picture being to the right is a deliberate compensation for an effect you're bypassing, since you're using neither a modulator nor a buffered VGA interface?

Just a thought - probably totally wrong: Toni's explanation is probably the right one.

AmigaFriend 29 December 2012 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 858357)

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinsonb5 (Post 858360)
No exactly - that's my point. A delay on the HSync would shift the picture to the left, so I'm wondering if the picture being to the right is a deliberate compensation for an effect you're bypassing, since you're using neither a modulator nor a buffered VGA interface?

On my A500 I've used it first with a 520 Modulator on as much as 3 TV's, then a 1084S and a 1085S then a Indivision. On all different output devices/connectors, picture was always shifted to the right without adjustments. Made no difference at all.

Retrofan 29 December 2012 14:56

Thank you very much :great

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas (Post 858349)
On WinUAE's display page select 1024x768 and centering, on the filter page select none, no scaling and aspect ratio disabled. Then run Prefs/Screenmode and select HighGfx:Superhires Laced.

Similarly select 1280x720 on display and HD720:Superhires laced in Prefs/Screenmode for 16:9.

Cammy 29 December 2012 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by roy bates (Post 858353)
does anyone know how many pixals pal and ntsc have as a max,compared to what workbench uses as a default?

720x576 for PAL and 720x480 for NTSC.

All 12+ Amigas here have off-centre displays which has annoyed me forever too. I use Composite, Scart and S-Video outputs and games are always aligned to the left. The Indivision AGA allowed us to get around this problem by letting us centre the screen with the monitor's controls but my Indivision AGA died about a year ago so I'm back to an off-centre Scart output.