English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.Amiga Game Factory (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   [WIP] Creeping Me Out! (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=105391)

malko 24 January 2022 09:06

The pipes to hit the frog are a really nice idea.
As usual gfx are excellent :great

Mixel 27 January 2022 09:54

I'm going to be live in 10ish mins at https://twitch.tv/mixelslab mostly working in Scorpion adding things to the game. :D

Working on password system and improving the desert level, maybe adding finishing touches to some other maps too.

Tigerskunk 27 January 2022 10:29

Love your unique ideas..

Mixel 27 January 2022 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerskunk (Post 1529155)
Love your unique ideas..

Thankyou, i try to keep things quirky! :D

Likewise though! Your Inviyya creature & stage designs were all awesomely creative.

Mixel 29 January 2022 02:38

Password Runes.. sassword runes?
https://youtu.be/7MrGtLMVsLA

Only minor decorating left to complete that area, and some spooky background music.

If you’ve played through the old demo you might’ve noticed a couple of 4 rune symbols around the maps. Now you know what they were for! :spin

earok 29 January 2022 09:35

That's such a cool password system. I really love the atmosphere with the cloud animations, her expressions, and just the very idea of using an Ouiji board for passwords and cheats.

Mixel 29 January 2022 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by earok (Post 1529496)
That's such a cool password system. I really love the atmosphere with the cloud animations, her expressions, and just the very idea of using an Ouiji board for passwords and cheats.

Thank you ! :D

I think I've finished decorating it now.. I added candles for save/load but they freeze/crash the game currently so i definitely did something very wrong, haha. I'll push it to git. (i dont really need these to work but would be cool if i could just save just those 5 variables)

I uploaded it to Github in case it's an engine error and not a me error. (pretty sure its a me error, but I would think the green/load candle wouldn't be doing anything bad like that? haha.)

The codeblocks in question are passleftcandlelogic, passrightcandlelogic, passsavevars .. i was trying to pass my global variables over to these save versions, but i must've screwed up! :nervous

acidbottle 29 January 2022 22:33

The password system is especially epic, something that a Lucasarts game may have conjured up if they were developing it!

Hope you solved that doorway mystery to Mixel! I find it a great help watching yourself and others troubleshoot issues :)

Mixel 30 January 2022 01:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbottle (Post 1529583)
The password system is especially epic, something that a Lucasarts game may have conjured up if they were developing it!

Hope you solved that doorway mystery to Mixel! I find it a great help watching yourself and others troubleshoot issues :)

I did, it was ok as long as i moved the camera down first, which.. in retrospect should've been the first thing to try.. :laughing All working as expected now. It helps me watching other people use Scorpion too, as well as streaming it myself, depending on the sort of concentration the task needs, haha. It's a bit like those "study with me" streamers, seeing Earok do it too makes it feel a lot less solitary.

Thanks for the kind words on the password system! It's been an excellent testing ground for mechanics in a different game, too. :D

Mixel 31 January 2022 09:59

Going live in a moment, got a list of bugs to fix and a skeleton pirate to add.. https://twitch.tv/mixelslab

Trying to get the balance right for how often i stream, it's difficult to keep a schedule, hmm. Anyway..

Bugs I'm going to try to fix today:
Frog boss sometimes doesnt turn up to his own boss fight
anna kicks stopped kicking
mid slimes don't hurt on impact
maggot hit points are crazy
trashcans only behave right when francis punches them

acidbottle 31 January 2022 11:48

Haha a boss that doesn’t turn up, wish mine wouldn’t so could go home and watch your stream live! Will catch it later tho, enjoyed your last one :)

Tigerskunk 31 January 2022 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mixel (Post 1529486)
Password Runes.. sassword runes?
https://youtu.be/7MrGtLMVsLA

Only minor decorating left to complete that area, and some spooky background music.

If you’ve played through the old demo you might’ve noticed a couple of 4 rune symbols around the maps. Now you know what they were for! :spin

Like I wrote, once more, your creativity knows no bounds, mate..

Great idea..

Mixel 31 January 2022 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbottle (Post 1529787)
Haha a boss that doesn’t turn up, wish mine wouldn’t so could go home and watch your stream live! Will catch it later tho, enjoyed your last one :)

Thanks! :D This one turned into an epic 5 hour thing but i mostly got skeleton pirates working near the end..

Also the issue i was having near the end with one level not camera_bounding properly, i fixed that within a minute of returning home.. What I'd said about not putting 0s in the bounds seemed to be way off.. always put all 4 corners, whether you want to or not.. (this only seemed to impact one level though so I must be missing something!)

I'm thinking of Mon/Wed/Fri mornings and some random evenings.. But might change my mind, lol how does anyone keep to a streaming schedule?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerskunk (Post 1529793)

Great idea..

TY again. :) It means a lot when people appreciate the unusual parts, as they have the most me in them. (and they'd likely be on the cutting room floor if i had a strict deadline)

Tsak 31 January 2022 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerskunk (Post 1529793)

Great idea..

I second that! :great

Imho, this project needs more love and attention from the Amiga community. Besides being one of the most advanced Scorpion projects, it's probably also one of the most complex and feature packed action platformers we've seen in recent years. Many respects to Mixel for his work, dedication so far!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mixel (Post 1529850)
I'm thinking of Mon/Wed/Fri mornings and some random evenings.. But might change my mind, lol how does anyone keep to a streaming schedule?

Morning streams are usually a tough sell for most people as they tend to be at work, I bet more would be willing to watch a more late stream. But well, I guess that also depends on your program & free time as a dev ;)

Mixel 01 February 2022 02:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsak (Post 1529899)
I second that! :great

Imho, this project needs more love and attention from the Amiga community. Besides being one of the most advanced Scorpion projects, it's probably also one of the most complex and feature packed action platformers we've seen in recent years. Many respects to Mixel for his work, dedication so far!

OMG i dont know what to say, haha thankyou! I value you guys' opinions very highly! I don't mind if CMO sometimes feels like a bit of an outlier, the game will stand for itself by the end.. If anything, not doing a high profile port or something gives me a lot less pressure to make things exactly how other people imagine they should be. I'll be putting another roundup video out very soon, they always cause a bit of a bump in interest, too. :)

Quote:

Morning streams are usually a tough sell for most people as they tend to be at work, I bet more would be willing to watch a more late stream. But well, I guess that also depends on your program & free time as a dev ;)
I see what you mean, it's frustrating with all the different timezones etc too. :( I'm going to have to experiment with different slots, somehow got to fit it around other work and family stuff. Will ponder it further. I also have a bit of imposter syndrome going on where i dont feel like i should be in a slot anyone important might actually want to use, lol.. But I know that's just what I'm like and I need to get over it. :laughing

Predseda 01 February 2022 08:58

For me it is one of the most awaited games in the last few years.

Mixel 01 February 2022 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predseda (Post 1529947)
For me it is one of the most awaited games in the last few years.

TY! And thanks for everyone's patience while it takes form. :D

I have a really, really fun new idea for the hospital level and one of the boss fights in particular (if it works!) is way beyond anything ive done so far, though i need to pick Earok's brain about something before attempting it.

Tigerskunk 01 February 2022 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsak (Post 1529899)

You can definitely see all the love, thoughts and dedication that were poured into this project by Mixel.

acidbottle 02 February 2022 11:52

Absolutely, this game is based on a whole universe created by Mixel, really draws you in. You very rarely get that on the Amiga these days, if at all.

Just take my money already!

Mixel 03 February 2022 01:50

https://youtu.be/v0fr7ODdBH0 - nothing new here to people who've either been watching the stream or following me on twitter/this thread but at least it collects things in one place for the youtube people!

The music is from Zombie Holiday Prologue (>10 year old), and I'm a bit better at composing now, I think, so a theoretical CD32 version would have synthy stuff like that but more refined.

Thanks again Tigerskunk and Acidbottle for your kind words!