English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   request.Demos (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   chip's Collection - ADA (Amiga Demoscene Archive) (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=97629)

chip 04 October 2020 10:56

Hello Basty, thanks for the info :p

About the upload speed, it seems normal now, so no need to try anything anymore :)

Sure remain the fact that i did nothing and the speed is changed a lot of time in a random way ..... really weird :banghead

chip 06 October 2020 14:01

So, i can confirm for sure now :)

Upload speed is come back again at his normal (impressive) level :shocked

Really don't ask me what i have done, since i have done nothing at all ! :laughing

Anyway this mean for ADA no splitted archive anymore :agree

chip 10 October 2020 09:14

I just want to share my thinking of this moment

I really don't know what will be the future of ADA

I would like to be like DamienD who has worked on his collection for a so long period

But i guess i am not the same kind of person

Indeed in my life i always changed my interests and now it's already 5 years that i am busy with ADA

Fact is that to do things in the right way (to collect all the demo releases around) i need at least the same amount of time

I don't know if i will do that guys

I am not saying project is dead .... at the moment it is still active

I am only saying things could change in the near future

That means project could be stopped .... or perhaps i only need a break, who knows

chip 13 October 2020 11:47

After some days i better thinked about this

Well, i taken a decision .... for now ADA will go on :)

At the moment i really don't have the courage to trash away all the work done :rolleyes

But i well know myself and for the future it's not so sure .... sometimes i leave the projects without no return :nuts

Yep, a bad part of my person i should say .... no one is perfect :laughing

Crashdisk 13 October 2020 11:59

Cool, this is good news but don't forget: You are the master of your project and you have the right to take a break or give yourself more time between each distribution.
After 10 years on the TOSEC project, I take regular breaks, work on other projects and then come back to TOSEC with motivation :agree

chip 13 October 2020 12:04

Thanks for your words Crashdisk :)

Yep, motivation is the magic word, it's probably normal that it can go down sometimes :o

Like you suggest, also taking a break could be useful ..... i will see :cool

Cheers, chip

chip 15 October 2020 17:02

After some thinking about the future of ADA, it's time to return to facts ! :cool

So, i just uploaded a new version of the collection :)

ADA now contains 17.319 files for a total size of 3,86 GB :agree

Enjoy :p

Amiga1992 15 October 2020 17:03

Are you keeping a changelog chip? Would be great to know exactly what was added each time you update.

chip 15 October 2020 17:05

No Akira, no changelog .... i am sorry :rolleyes

Amiga1992 15 October 2020 17:19

Maybe for next updates? Would be nice. if not, you know, still thankful for this.

chip 15 October 2020 17:22

I understand that it would be useful .... but i am too lazy :D

Anyway thanks for the appreciation Akira :)

Even if i am doing ADA for personal pleasure, positive feedback are really good further motivation for me :agree

Amiga1992 15 October 2020 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by chip (Post 1434732)
I understand that it would be useful .... but i am too lazy :D

You're not! It takes a ton of time to make this pack.
I'm just being greedy :D

chip 15 October 2020 17:27

Well, that's sure :agree

But without spending time no real project can be done IMHO :cool

chip 27 October 2020 16:31

Time to update the statistics of ADA :)

The collection now contains 17.453 files for a total size of 3,90 GB :agree

chip 03 November 2020 10:38

I never talked about how my collection is organized :p

May be it is something obvious, but i need to say just some words anyway :D

The ADA folder is divided in many folders which are groups or single authors :cool

I made no differences between authors that belongs to no groups and groups :blased

This difference is instead done by other collections .... it's just a choice, i like it more in this way ;)

In the end there's a folder called "(Unknown)" which logically contains productions for which is impossible to find the author :rolleyes

chip 05 November 2020 04:59

And i never talked about how my collection is made :D

Another obvious thing perhaps, but better to be precise :rolleyes

ADA is builded from the scratch, no other collection is used as the base :cool

This doesn't mean no other collections are considered, at the contrary all other collections are taken :o

This only means that each single file is checked before it goes in the archive :agree

I don't rely in any way on the work done by other to quick up the process :)

In other words each release is verified to be good, even if for preservation purpose also not-working productions are kept :p

I am using all the possibles sources for building the collection: CDs, ftp servers, BBS backups, disks collections and so on ;)

Real problem here is the time, i don't think i will be able to scan more than 1.720.000 files in this life ! :nuts

chip 13 November 2020 11:40

Time to update the statistics of ADA :)

The collection now contains 17.618 files for a total size of 3,95 GB :agree

DamienD 13 November 2020 12:39

chip, IMHO number stats are meaningless and don't tell anything useful...

I know you don't and won't provide update packs.

...but can't you at least list what you've updated?

chip 15 November 2020 16:09

If someone spot the collection for the first time, i guess statistics can be useful to know what's inside the archive he can download :rolleyes

About a list of new added releases i found it meaningless for the project itself :blased

ADA is a big archive of demoscene, it is perfect for all users which want a single file with all the releases ready to use :cool

I don't want to be rude, but this is really the way i like to distribute the collection ..... take it or leave it :laughing

DamienD 15 November 2020 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by chip (Post 1440986)
If someone spot the collection for the first time, i guess statistics can be useful to know what's inside the archive he can download :rolleyes

You are a strange one chip...

How can "be useful to know what's inside the archive he can download"; when it's just numbers?

Quote:

About a list of new added releases i found it meaningless for the project itself :blased

How is telling what actual files are inside your collection meaningless? More so with updates that you do?

Much more meaningful that a bunch of numbers :rolleyes

Quote:

I don't want to be rude, but this is really the way i like to distribute the collection ..... take it or leave it :laughing

Be rude all you like; I have zero interest in your collection so will never use :p