English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.GameBase Amiga (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   DamienD's WinUAE Collection (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=90314)

malko 24 November 2019 21:49

^ :great

speshady 24 November 2019 22:10

Looking forward to trying the RTG versions out.
Good work TroyWilkins & DamienD.

DamienD 25 November 2019 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by speshady (Post 1361146)
Looking forward to trying the RTG versions out.
Good work TroyWilkins & DamienD.

Ok, please do note that this is purely for test purposes ATM as I haven't fully redone the .HDF so that it's totally clean.

Download the archive from here and extract into "C:\WinUAE" ;)

I mean the benefits are marginal but worth it IMHO; so you can then compare the "AGA" version with the "RTG" version yourself and give me feedback :agree

Note: that due to using RTG, the mouse / keyboard scrolling is way too fast now so I'll need to adjust in-game, save accordingly and finally update the "Warcraft 2 Prefs" file into the "WarcraftII.hfv" file...

TroyWilkins 25 November 2019 00:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1361167)
Ok, please do note that this is purely for test purposes ATM as I haven't fully redone the .HDF so that it's totally clean.

I mean the benefits are marginal but worth it IMHO; so you can then compare the "AGA" version with the "RTG" version yourself and give me feedback :agree

Note: that due to using RTG, the mouse / keyboard scrolling is way too fast now so I'll need to adjust in-game, save accordingly and finally update the "Warcraft 2 Prefs" file into the "WarcraftII.hfv" file...

Good work my good man. One of the other changes I made, which I didn't mention, was setting the CPU speed to 50MHz instead of unlimited, as I found that the Mac games were sensitive to CPU clock speed.

Having said that, for Alone in the Dark, I ended up setting that as a 100MHz 68040, so that it would play at an appropriate speed in the higher resolution.

Qun Mang 25 November 2019 06:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1361014)
Heya Qun Mang,

You'll never have 2900 configuration files like I do due to this:

...but you should have 2880 configuration files and not 2888 :agree

Oh, I should also mention that number of <gamedir> vs. configuration files is 4 less due to some configuration files sharing the same <gamedir> for title / screenshots i.e:

Code:

<gamedir> = Amiga CD
AMIGA CD.uae

<gamedir> = Amiga CD32
AMIGA CD32.uae
AMIGA CD32  [Xbox 360 controllers].uae
AMIGA CD32 [with Full Motion Video cartridge].uae
AMIGA CD32 [with Full Motion Video cartridge]  [Xbox 360 controllers].uae

<gamedir> = Amiga CDTV
AMIGA CDTV.uae
AMIGA CDTV [CDTV-CR].uae

Sure, I'll PM you the new URLs ;)

Thanks again- looks like I was actually pretty close then. I'm still considering exactly what I'm going to do. Starting over will be easiest but I think I remember adding something you posted that was going to remain unofficial and out of your collection. If it was more than one something that could actually explain some of the difference. Still, it doesn't hurt to start over now and again and if I don't remember what the extras were I'll hardly miss them, right? :p That actually used to be the recommendation for some earlier versions of Windows- every now and again format and reinstall for best performance.

DamienD 25 November 2019 09:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qun Mang (Post 1361185)
Thanks again- looks like I was actually pretty close then. I'm still considering exactly what I'm going to do. Starting over will be easiest but I think I remember adding something you posted that was going to remain unofficial and out of your collection. If it was more than one something that could actually explain some of the difference. Still, it doesn't hurt to start over now and again and if I don't remember what the extras were I'll hardly miss them, right? :p That actually used to be the recommendation for some earlier versions of Windows- every now and again format and reinstall for best performance.

There were only 2 extras that I can remember which are not in my collection: ...just save those configuration files / <gamedirs> out if you still want them ;)

DamienD 25 November 2019 12:00

So I've had a few reports saying that "MegaDownloader" no longer allows you to grab all parts in one go, and seems to now be subject to the Mega.nz daily limit :sad

Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about that...

Maybe try using Google Chrome via Inconito mode or download via TOR.

oftm 25 November 2019 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1361217)
So I've had a few reports saying that "MegaDownloader" no longer allows you to grab all parts in one go, and seems to now be subject to the Mega.nz daily limit :sad

Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about that...

Maybe try using Google Chrome via Inconito mode or download via TOR.

Yeah it doesn't work but I managed to download everything in one go without being restricted just for anyone wondering. Point being mega's daily limit doesn't seem to be fixed at any particular size and changes daily. I can't figure out any pattern to it but I've had daily limits between 3-25gb. :confused

SteveMoody 25 November 2019 19:10

I haven't tried MegaDownloader myself but did seem to run into different download limits. Only have 3 parts left to download now so should get those tonight.

speshady 25 November 2019 22:43

you can get around the limits by using VPNs.
ie download as much as you can normally, then drop onto a VPN and do the same, then drop onto another VPN etc.
Mega must be monitoring the IP address for the downloading.

lesta_smsc 25 November 2019 22:51

I have known sometimes it will say you have exceeded the IP limit when it is the 1st time I'm downloading, so I presume it is due to IP sharing... nonetheless, plenty of servers to choose from by most VPN providers so it is not a problem.

DamienD 26 November 2019 01:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1361167)

So tonight I've spent the past 6 hours re-creating all 6 x MAC .HDFs from scratch (after spending many hours yesterday figuring out exactly what I needed to do) :nuts

...I won't even try to detailing the work that I've had to undertake :blased

Anyway, the result is quite significant in terms of improved loading times and graphics scrolling as opposed to [AGA].

So, grab this latest archive from here and just extract into "C:\WinUAE" ;)

...again though, this is just purely for "test" purposes ATM, as there's one or two very small things that I still need to do e.g. new "SaveStates" for both "Prince of Persia" games as the .HDFs have changed.

So please, please, please test these [RTG] versions against the [AGA] versions; and give me your honest feedback / thoughts... good or bad :agree

Anyway, now off to a well deserved sleep; and hopefully I don't dream of Amiga / MAC stuff :sleep

DamienD 26 November 2019 20:30

All 6 x MAC [RTG] .HDFs have now been finalised :great

Grab the new archive from here and just extract into "C:\WinUAE".

Would be good to get feedback on how you feel these perform compared to the [AGA] counterparts :agree

For me, things that I've noticed are as follows:
Alone in the Dark:
- Armadillo spins smoother / quicker.
- Page turning is smoother / quicker.
- Intro is smoother.

Blackthorne:
- Gameplay smoother.

Prince of Persia:
- Gameplay slightly smoother.

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow & The Flame:

Warcraft - Orcs & Humans:
- Intro is smoother.
- Before level video smoother.
- Scrolling is smoother.

Warcraft II - Tides of Darkness:
- Scrolling is smoother.

DamienD 28 November 2019 20:30

Nobody has had 5 minutes to test these new MAC [RTG] .HDFs and provide feedback?

Oh well... :sad

Will probably get rid of the [AGA] ones anyway in the next Update Pack.

speshady 28 November 2019 20:39

ive only had a quick bash on PoP so far, like you say, it just seems slightly smoother.

enigma776 28 November 2019 22:40

Yup its time to lose the AGA versions the RTG versions are a lot better. Nice work on the control mappings too.

DamienD 29 November 2019 02:10

Appreciate the feedback guys ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by speshady (Post 1362021)
ive only had a quick bash on PoP so far, like you say, it just seems slightly smoother.

The games to test are really these, as there's marginal improvement:
  • Alone in the Dark.
  • Blackthorne.
  • Warcraft - Orcs & Humans.
  • Warcraft II - Tides of Darkness.

kkgarbod 29 November 2019 07:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1362020)
Nobody has had 5 minutes to test these new MAC [RTG] .HDFs and provide feedback?

Haven't had time to test them so far :D

DamienD 29 November 2019 21:05

So have now managed to install these 2 x RTG games :great "The Feeble Files" is ok, but "Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy" seems very cool indeed ;)

...maybe more RTG games missing from my collection will now follow :p

TroyWilkins 30 November 2019 03:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1361580)
All 6 x MAC [RTG] .HDFs have now been finalised :great

Grab the new archive from here and just extract into "C:\WinUAE".

Would be good to get feedback on how you feel these perform compared to the [AGA] counterparts :agree

For me, things that I've noticed are as follows:
Alone in the Dark:
- Armadillo spins smoother / quicker.
- Page turning is smoother / quicker.
- Intro is smoother.

Blackthorne:
- Gameplay smoother.

Prince of Persia:

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow & The Flame:

Warcraft - Orcs & Humans:
- Intro is smoother.
- Before level video smoother.
- Scrolling is smoother.

Warcraft II - Tides of Darkness:
- Scrolling is smoother.

I wanted to report back after I'd had a good amount of time to try out the changes you made. You've done a fantastic job, well done! At least on the 2 machines I've tried them on (Ryzen 5 3500u laptop and core i5 3470 + R9 270), they work noticeably better than the AGA versions. Loading time is astonishingly fast on both systems.

While I have no idea still what to do in Alone in the Dark (just like back in the day), I feel I now have a chance, while I didn't before due to how sluggish it was on my systems. Also it is playable in high resolution now, while it wasn't for me previously on AGA.

Blackthorne works how I'd expect it to if running on real hardware now, it's not a huge difference, but it feels better, if that makes sense?

Same with Prince of Persia, I think with these it's because most of the screen is static, with only big changes when we move to another screen.

Prince of Persia 2 I notice a big difference, however it still feels too sluggish, and hangs frequently, sometimes before I can do anything.

Warcraft and Warcraft 2 seem to work much better for me, input lag seems to be reduced and scrolling is noticeably better.