English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   AmigaOS 3.2 released! (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=106964)

RetroPassionUK 17 May 2021 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by dschallock (Post 1484406)
Just ordered my CDs and ROMs for my A3000T from RetroPassion (Thanks guys!). Super stoked!!!

Thank you and a pleasure :-)

gulliver 17 May 2021 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by utri007 (Post 1484475)
Is there a rom modules for us, who wants to build own kickstart and have all the needed modules on kickstart, so that boot works with every media.

From the FAQ:

12.1 * Can I use the modules from the Modules disk to build my own
custom Kickstart ROM?

At this point in time we are only able to support a limited number of
Kickstart ROMs (only the ones that are advertised); and this is due to
the unlimited amount of combinations that custom ROMs may lead to. So
sure; go ahead, but don't ask us for support if you take this route.

bubbob42 17 May 2021 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by eXeler0 (Post 1484447)
Howdy, what is the minimum config A1000 to run OS3.2?
I asked Amigastore.eu if they'll pre-load the Classic 520 with 3.2 but so far no answer (and I dont see Amigastore among official resellers of 3.2)

The Classic HC520 is an ideal option for the 1000. I used this combination during development. Add a Plipbox, AmiTCP or Roadshow plus UHCTOOLS for fetching stuff from the net and you’re guaranteed to have a nice retro Amiga experience.

OldAmigan 17 May 2021 22:07

Ordered from RetroPassion too. Looking forward to getting it loaded up.

AMike 17 May 2021 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by gulliver (Post 1484443)

Some popular CD32 accelerator's only work with the old scsi.device from OS 3.1 to provide storage, but if confronted with the new one which supports large drives, they simply lost any ability to handle their hard drives. Their firmware seems to be hardcoded that way.

On the other hand, other accelerators worked perfectly fine with the newer scsi.device that has large drive support and bug fixes.

Did anyone test OS3.2 with a SXPro? (030 Turboboard from DCE)

sean_sk 18 May 2021 00:36

Is it true that the ability to boot without startup-sequence has been taken away? It was mentioned in an earlier post.

wiser3 18 May 2021 01:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_sk (Post 1484525)
Is it true that the ability to boot without startup-sequence has been taken away? It was mentioned in an earlier post.

No. Pay no attention to the haters and fake news.

Not only can you boot without startup-sequence but you can boot with the startup-sequence in a step through mode and it can produce a log.

RetroRewind 18 May 2021 06:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by klx300r (Post 1484405)
for us Canadians retrorewind.ca will be selling the CD & phycial roms/disks too

https://retrorewind.ca/amigaos-3.2

Our stock of 3.2 should be in by the end of the week. Pre-Orders are up including options for physical ROMs and floppies. We also ship worldwide.

klx300r 18 May 2021 07:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetroRewind (Post 1484542)
Our stock of 3.2 should be in by the end of the week. Pre-Orders are up including options for physical ROMs and floppies. We also ship worldwide.

Ordered and thanks for the update !

utri007 18 May 2021 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiser3 (Post 1484534)
No. Pay no attention to the haters and fake news.

Not only can you boot without startup-sequence but you can boot with the startup-sequence in a step through mode and it can produce a log.

That not true. Without a kickstart modules and libraries available on HD or a floppy, it is NOT possible to boot without a startup-sequence.

Predseda 18 May 2021 08:12

I have ordered it from Alinea and already put aside one dedicated A1200 for it :)

emiespo 18 May 2021 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by gulliver (Post 1484443)
@amiespo

AmigaOS 3.2 works on a CD32 with just a little fast ram.

It has been tested on real hardware and I personally tested it under emulation plenty of times to ensure its working status.

And this is all using the module disk approach which indeed requires a reboot.

The reasoning for which we did not provide a physical ROM is of a technical nature:

Some popular CD32 accelerator's only work with the old scsi.device from OS 3.1 to provide storage, but if confronted with the new one which supports large drives, they simply lost any ability to handle their hard drives. Their firmware seems to be hardcoded that way.

On the other hand, other accelerators worked perfectly fine with the newer scsi.device that has large drive support and bug fixes.

So choosing one path would have meant, leaving the other out in a ROM context.

By only providing a modules disk, you are allowed a greater degree of flexibility, in that you can choose and adjust your modules to make your particular hardware work.

Please read section 14 of the 3.2 FAQ for further details on the experimental CD32 status.

Thanks I read the FAQs and wanted more information on the physical ROMs provided by some retailers for the very same reason :)

My CD32 has a TF330, which should rely on the internal ROM SCSI.device, hence my interest in having an updated physical ROM.

E-Penguin 18 May 2021 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by emiespo (Post 1484581)
My CD32 has a TF330, which should rely on the internal ROM SCSI.device, hence my interest in having an updated physical ROM.

Mine has the same; I plan to use the LoadModule approach. I will keep an OS partition under 1GB so that it can boot from the 3.1 Rom and load the updated modules, and put everything else on the other 31GB of my CF card.

bubbob42 18 May 2021 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by utri007 (Post 1484554)
That not true. Without a kickstart modules and libraries available on HD or a floppy, it is NOT possible to boot without a startup-sequence.

What do you mean by "booting"?

Enter boot menu, hit "Boot with no startup-sequence". DOS window pops up. Amiga boot complete. :)

Loading Workbench is a different thing and has of course additional requirements.

SID-6581 18 May 2021 13:14

I already pre-ordered it in my home country Germany.

dalek 18 May 2021 13:39

I want to support the developers but I don't want to give Hyperion a single cent.

I'll sit this one out too and stick with 3.1

Miggy2TheMax 18 May 2021 14:43

Pretty cool this release made to the front page of Hacker News:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27158277

but .. the comments section makes for an interesting read and leaves me with mixed emotions. Is it true that Hyperion blocked Cloanto's effort to make things open source?

AmiBoy 18 May 2021 17:41

Ordered it for my two A1200s as well :)

Looking forward to trying it.

Overmann 18 May 2021 18:47

This might have been covered here but I didn't find anything in the faq:
Will there be some kind of development kit/documentation for those of us new to amiga programming who might want to get into it? Would be hugely helpful!

bubbob42 18 May 2021 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overmann (Post 1484687)
This might have been covered here but I didn't find anything in the faq:
Will there be some kind of development kit/documentation for those of us new to amiga programming who might want to get into it? Would be hugely helpful!

The NDK can be found on the AmigaOS3.2 CD.