English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.SPS (was CAPS) (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Acorn Archimedes Software Preservation (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43299)

MarkYoungIW 28 July 2009 19:24

Interesting, same games, different seller!!!

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/eclipsetape-2009

prowler 28 July 2009 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkYoungIW (Post 577745)
Interesting, same games, different seller!!!

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/eclipsetape-2009

:confused

filecore 29 July 2009 14:08

Hey,

Just been pointed in the direction of this thread having just joined.

I was in the process of archiving all my floppies using Omnidisk and had my interest piqued. Did a few searches on the net and here I am. :-)

I've got a few games. I foolishly sold off a few years back (including Chocks, Saloon Cars Deluxe, The Dungeon, Conqueror and Zarch). Oh how I wish I could wind back the clock :)

Anyway, still got: Diggers, Sensible Soccer, Elite Gold Edition, Flight Sim Toolkit, E-Type, Powerband, Cyber Chess, Cataclysm, Sim City, Pacmania, Lemmings, Cannon Fodder, Microdrive, Manchester Utd Europe, Virtual Golf, Interdictor, Chuck Rock, Stunt Racer 2000, Acorn User CD10 and maybe a few others I've forgotten right now.

You probably already have those archived etc, but if not, let me know.

Also got loads of Acorn User, AAW & Acorn Computer cover and subscription disks. The first ever AAW cover CD, few Archive ones and loads of PD etc.

Sim City uses some interesting copy protection from what I can work out. I made a disk copy of the original disk. Then if you play that copy it loads OK but you will constantly be hit with a barrage of disasters that you can't turn off. Hence you can't get very far at all. Play with the original disk and it plays fine!

Anyway, enough of my rambling. I'm interested in the archiving of software for RISC OS so I'll be hanging around and popping every now and then. :-)

MarkYoungIW 29 July 2009 15:12

@Filecore
Do you have a Amiga 1200? If so, even if they are duplicates, it is worth dumping them for Tom for helping with the development of Arculator, and also for SPS in anticipation of them finishing their IPF format for Archimedes.

If you need any help. we will point you in the right direction.

filecore 29 July 2009 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkYoungIW (Post 578037)
@Filecore
Do you have a Amiga 1200? If so, even if they are duplicates, it is worth dumping them for Tom for helping with the development of Arculator, and also for SPS in anticipation of them finishing their IPF format for Archimedes.

If you need any help. we will point you in the right direction.

No I don't have 1200. I do have a 2000, but from reading back through threads, I don't think it's beefy enough. I might have access to a 1200 in a few weeks so I might be able to sort something then.

(Also just found another game I forgot I had - "Dennis Wheatley's Herewith the Clues!". Oh the nostalgia from going through all my old boxes. ) :)

MarkYoungIW 30 July 2009 09:11

@Tom & @SPS.

Will the A2000 be able to do .apd/.ipfs?

Charlie 30 July 2009 11:31

Hi filecore,
Wellcome to the EAB! :)

Hmm, A2000 - nice machine, should be fine for imaging .apd's as long as you stick with 800k ADFS discs & not the 1600k ones.

On the subject of contributions we'll take pretty well anything of relevance:
.adf - feel free to do these for any you've got that aren't on the server.
.apd - for the mo' these are for development though better for 'preservation' & non-adf friendly discs.
Pre-made HD-installs
Apps, games, Roms, scans(books, articles, mags, boxes+discs), info in general & for the projects page...

...preservation & sharing is the idea. Anything is fair game if you can consider it 'abandonware'.
ie: no current active developer supporting + selling it.

Have a poke about the Website + FTP server. (memberships on request)

Regards.

Tom Walker 30 July 2009 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkYoungIW (Post 578405)

Got no clue about IPFs, it should be able to dump APD as long as it's got a hard disc I think.

MarkYoungIW 30 July 2009 18:25

@Filecore

Would you be willing to try dumping them with Rawread so that Tom can test them for his new format for the up and coming version of Arculator.

Have a look here

Thanks

Kyon 31 July 2009 00:51

Pre-made HD-installs
Apps, games, Roms, scans(books, articles, mags, boxes+discs), info in general & for the projects page...

where is this ??

prowler 31 July 2009 00:57

Here. Then follow the link to The Qube RiscOS Server. :)

Kyon 31 July 2009 01:28

same results for sensible soccer :( not working :(

prowler 31 July 2009 01:43

I'm sure it's the copy protection which is causing that problem.

Kyon 31 July 2009 01:46

yes i think that too. anybody will fix it ? or what we need for fix it ?

killergorilla 31 July 2009 11:35

Whilst I appreciate that Kyon's posts are somewhat related to this thread, I do NOT want this thread turning in to another GIMME SWOS farce.

Not sure if anyone in the UK is interested but I do have the means to dump any disks and would be willing to do so, would just need people to pay for the P&P.

I've dumped about 100 Amiga games myself and apparently have a drive that is "perfect", or at least that is what Fiath told me, maybe he was trying to flatter me. :D

Keep me in mind :)

I do plan on digging out my Arc games as some point, all 2-3 of them. I *think* I still have them. Orion, Zarch... erm... Mig-29, I think that's it! Oh and a demo of Chocks Away, and a demo of Lemmings.

MarkYoungIW 02 August 2009 12:48

Will look forward to you dumping your discs. If you need any details of what to do to help Tom, please let us know.

Easter 03 August 2009 19:09

Pandora's Box for sale

Hi,

I couldn't get the reading of the old Archimedes disks working (no Amiga, no DOS, possibly broken floppy drive), so I've put Pandora's Box on eBay for anyone who wants it, rather than throwing it away.

Check it out!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=260457869534

Ian :-)

MarkYoungIW 04 August 2009 13:43

Hi Ian,
Many thanks for the heads up. I will be having a go at this, and also if I am successful I will see what I can do with you, in getting it going for you to play on PC!! If I dont win it, good luck with your auction.

mr.vince 04 August 2009 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkYoungIW (Post 578405)
@Tom & @SPS.

You need an accelerated machine with at least an 68020 CPU. I would recommend some A1200 or better, maybe with an accelerator, too. A2000s sometimes have strange timing issues due to the accelerators used. If you have a PCMCIA to compact flash adapter this can work well in an A1200...

MarkYoungIW 04 August 2009 21:28

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACORN-WORLD-TI...d=p3286.c0.m14

@SPS
I havent forgotten about imaging for you, I am working on it, just time is as always an issue!!