English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.Amiga Game Factory (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Outrun AGA (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=106534)

Konrad 04 April 2024 08:25

I'm not playing much Amiga games anymore, to be honest. And I have an arcade machine with MAME sitting here, including Outrun.
But I'm following most developments of new Amiga games, as I'm amazed what's still possible to achieve with the Amiga. And with that I mean vanilla Amigas, with maybe just RAM expansions.
So although there's now two ports in development I'm more interested in the development of OutRun AGA :).

agermose 04 April 2024 23:17

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 81959
With Adrian on board, graphics conversion has really taken off, now in 32 colour mode. Quick picture off my mobile, sorry.
Haven’t had time to update the HUD layer palette.
(Yes we know the Palm tree base is too green).

jotd 04 April 2024 23:45

not bad at all!! can't wait to see it moving.

agermose 05 April 2024 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1677856)

The startline is one of the most sprite intensive parts (along with stage 2 left), and the framerate suffers somewhat there.
I still have a few optimisation ideas on the backlog.

ransom1122 05 April 2024 06:00

That's impressive

jotd 05 April 2024 07:50

the startline is not really critical in the game. What's important is the game itself.

You can resort to hacks just for the start line.

More generally, I often found me "lucky" when doing ports as in-game parts are sometimes less demanding than title screens where there are several independent layers that must be emulated (big title screen, text...)

For example in Moon Patrol (obviously comparable to Outrun :)) I had to hardcode the Title, which has originally using 8x8 tiles. Redrawing them each frame over the mountain layers, with "cookie cut" mode was too taxing. Instead I blitted an assembled copy. Since there are no enemies during the title screen, it runs properly.

agermose 05 April 2024 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1677896)
the startline is not really critical in the game. What's important is the game itself.

You can resort to hacks just for the start line.

More generally, I often found me "lucky" when doing ports as in-game parts are sometimes less demanding than title screens where there are several independent layers that must be emulated (big title screen, text...)

For example in Moon Patrol (obviously comparable to Outrun :)) I had to hardcode the Title, which has originally using 8x8 tiles. Redrawing them each frame over the mountain layers, with "cookie cut" mode was too taxing. Instead I blitted an assembled copy. Since there are no enemies during the title screen, it runs properly.

True the startline is not important for gameplay, but the iconic stage 2 stone tunnel is. Those 2 are probably worst case, worst case has to run at a decent framerate.
As you said, the solution may involve hacks, or removing objects.

Looking forward to Moon patrol. Played it a lot on my c64, and as much as I could in the arcades.

Adrian Browne 05 April 2024 16:23

Yes, its a lot of fun converting the graphics with as few compromises as possible and always chasing arcade accuracy too- I'm a stickler for details.

Its a joy to see it running on Amiga- I'm sure when the time is right agermose will share a video of progress.

agermose 05 April 2024 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1677856)

Didn’t have to wait long :)

Running on WinUAE standard A1200 with fast mem. Sorry about lousy quality, from my mobile again.
https://youtu.be/ornEFPpVn4c

jotd 05 April 2024 17:40

awesome!

d4rk3lf 05 April 2024 17:52

@agermose

That looks (and moves) amazing. :great

TCD 05 April 2024 17:53

That looks really good :great

malko 05 April 2024 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by agermose (Post 1677971)
Didn’t have to wait long
Running on WinUAE standard A1200 with fast mem. Sorry about lousy quality, from my mobile again.
https://youtu.be/ornEFPpVn4c

This is really good :great
Keep up the work !
Do you plan to add a colour swap (the grey on the wheel) to make us think the wheels are turning ?

Havie 05 April 2024 19:40

Wow - looks brilliant! Ferraris are now like buses - you wait 30 years for one and two come at once. :D

Adrian Browne 05 April 2024 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by malko (Post 1677985)
Keep up the work !
Do you plan to add a colour swap (the grey on the wheel) to make us think the wheels are turning ?

Its been mentioned- but I am unsure if it can be done- perhaps the grey's could only be used for that purpose and not elsewhere in the game. In that case we would have to sacrifice two grey's. It looks like colour cycling to me?

Anyhow, Agermose knows better- I'm just a pixel guy.

malko 05 April 2024 21:41

Yes, I was thinking colour cycling as it looks like on the video that there is two clear colours on the wheels.

sokolovic 05 April 2024 21:56

The frame rate seems very decent at the start. Great work !

agermose 05 April 2024 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by malko (Post 1677985)
Keep up the work !

As Adrian said we discussed it. We would have to sacrifice 2 colours designated to it. It’s a 5 minute job to code, but right now I think we need the colours elsewhere.

dlfrsilver 05 April 2024 22:10

Awesome job !

vulture 06 April 2024 13:28

Oh, wow! So impressive!