English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Latest version of ScummVM ported to AGA (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=56815)

matthey 02 July 2011 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by pintcat (Post 764415)
Yes, that's the one I use. I also tried the other copy-mem patch: http://www.heywheel.com/matthey/Amiga/CopyMem.lha, but it didn't made any difference.

You probably won't notice much difference between CopyMem060 and CMQ060 on a 68060. CopyMem060 is faster at small copies which are more common but it takes lots of them to be "noticeable". There is a speed chart as tested in the readme comparing CopyMem060 to CMQ060 and other patches ...

http://aminet.net/util/boot/CopyMem.readme

CopyMem040 is significantly faster than CMQ060 (there is no CMQ040) on a 68040. CopyMem040 is in the CopyMem archive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pintcat (Post 764415)
Does it matter at which point the patch is initialized? When I tried it the first time I simply started it from shell right after the system boot. Later, I placed it in the Startup-Sequence after the setpatch command.

No, it doesn't matter when the patch is started. The point of putting it early in the Startup-Sequence is too speed up booting as AmigaOS uses exec.library/CopyMem() often. It should work to drop CopyMem060 in the WBstartup drawer as well but it is started late in the boot process so won't potentially accelerate booting much. Starting by shell or double clicking is perfectly fine as well.

Many other programs benefit from CopyMem patches. The newest versions of AWeb use CopyMem() to render the background and the speed difference with the patch is noticeable on my system when scrolling quickly. Many other programs use CopyMem() but few use it enough to be "noticeable". Various tests will show a speedup though.

pintcat 03 July 2011 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthey (Post 764448)
The newest versions of AWeb use CopyMem() to render the background and the speed difference with the patch is noticeable on my system when scrolling quickly.

I had to test this to see if the patch does it's job and I must say you're damn right! AWeb starts much faster and then everything loads and moves quicker. This should proof the patch works. Now the question remains: Does it affect the latest ScummVM in any way?

_psy 04 July 2011 16:54

just tryed latest AGA 030 version with fate of atlantis and indy last crusade dos 256 color version , the speech is great :) and even increased framerate to 25 and all goes perfect until i enable the adlib emu sound :) then it goes to -0 fps :D. If you can get the music to run like the speech it would be perfect for games without speech like indy 3 256 colors, thanks great work!
going to try Dott now ...... some parts of intro with lot of animation is slow but at least runs :)

NovaCoder 23 July 2011 04:14

;)

desiv 23 July 2011 04:26

OK, you win largest pic uploaded to EAB..
Now I just have to scroll around and see what it is.. ;-)

desiv

Graham Humphrey 23 July 2011 10:45

Please can you make that pic smaller, thanks :)

pintcat 23 July 2011 12:36

@NovaCoder: It's your A1200 running the latest ScummVM 1.3.1. :D Can we expect a test version soon?

NovaCoder 23 July 2011 13:48

maybe, maybe :)

might even become an offical port, we'll see.

NovaCoder 08 August 2011 05:00

Version 1.3.1 beta released for you lucky 060 AGA owners.

Grab it here -> GONE!

This is only a BETA so it doesn't support all the usual game engines yet (just LucasArts and Sierra SCI), you also need to read the readme as things have changed quite a bit.

A chocolate frog to the first person to get Curse of Monkey Island running on AGA (yes of course it will be really slow!).

klapdeur 10 August 2011 10:02

Hi novacoder

i grabbbed the beta and it works fine i even got monkey island 3 running slow but its working.

but i have a problem also with scummvm 1.2.1 aga 060.

im playing full throttle but im not getting past the destruction derby because bad response of the mouse. if tried it many times now.

oh i have a cyberstorm 060 ppc (ppc is broken) cybervission ppc, and delfina soundcard in a 40000.
Also scummvm crashes alot so i have to save many times playing FT.

my config is

os 3.9 (amikit version) external scandoubler (looks like dce one).
monitor drivers are vgaonly multiscan pal ntsc and cybervissionppc.

Ps
I hope that you can make a native rtg scummvm with broken sword support.

its a hell of a great job youve pulled off.

Greetz
Klapdeur

NovaCoder 10 August 2011 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by klapdeur (Post 771941)
Hi novacoder

i grabbbed the beta and it works fine i even got monkey island running slow but its working.

but i have a problem also with scummvm 1.2.1 aga 060.

im playing full throttle but im not getting past the destruction derby because bad response of the mouse. if tried it many times now.

oh i have a cyberstorm 060 ppc (ppc is broken) cybervission ppc, and delfina soundcard in a 40000.
Also scummvm crashes alot so i have to save many times playing FT.

my config is

os 3.9 (amikit version) external scandoubler (looks like dce one).
monitor drivers are vgaonly multiscan pal ntsc and cybervissionppc.

Ps
I hope that you can make a native rtg scummvm with broken sword support.

its a hell of a great job youve pulled off.

Greetz
Klapdeur

Cool, glad you're enjoying it :)

Is this new 1.3.1 beta any more stable than the old 1.2.1 release?

I'm not sure why Full Throttle is so slow in the fight scenes as the rest of the game runs at a good speed. I don't think this is a problem with the Amiga code, I think it's an issue with ScummVM itself.

Yep a native RTG version is in the works :xmas

klapdeur 10 August 2011 12:06

hi Novacoder

the scummvm is stable enough sometimes it crashes but i think its a small problem for example it was crashed at the vultures layer animation 1 time after reboot it worked so i think it random with full throttle. i didnt get any crashes with other games so often by the way the dig animation intro is now showing up right in the 1.2 version i got scramble picture.

roomeo 13 August 2011 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaCoder (Post 771572)
Version 1.3.1 beta released for you lucky 060 AGA owners.

Grab it here -> ScummVM_AGA_060.lha

This is only a BETA so it doesn't support all the usual game engines yet (just LucasArts and Sierra SCI), you also need to read the readme as things have changed quite a bit.

A chocolate frog to the first person to get Curse of Monkey Island running on AGA (yes of course it will be really slow!).

me me me!! :)

I have comi running on my a1200,bppc 060 50mhz, 128mb ram. Using latest ScummVM AGA. The biggest bottleneck seems to be poor transferrate from the internal ide. 1,9mb/s.

(also working in RTG version with bvision)

I have a video if no one believes me.. :p

Awesome work!! :bowdown

DDNI 13 August 2011 19:28

post it!!

I gotta try these new builds on 030. Kinda fell away since I sold my 060 :(

desiv 13 August 2011 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaCoder (Post 771960)
I'm not sure why Full Throttle is so slow in the fight scenes as the rest of the game runs at a good speed. I don't think this is a problem with the Amiga code, I think it's an issue with ScummVM itself.

Running the latest ScummVM AGA for 030 (1.2.1) here with CMQ030.
I have an ACA1230/28. (I know, it's not fast enough, but I will run it anyway!) ;-)
I think it gets a bit farther in the first fight sequence, but it's still terribly bad. :-)
The point-click-walk part is more than usable tho...
Videos are choppy, but they are watchable..

Having fun poking with it still.. ;-)

desiv
The bad part about the fight scenes if it's a ScummVM issue is that they won't care.. So it's slower.. Most of the ScummVM users are running multicore Ghz CPUs and won't notice.. Oh well.. ;-)

roomeo 13 August 2011 20:15

here u go

COMI running on 68k AGA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcKnhhRmq3c

NovaCoder 14 August 2011 05:19

cool video, thanks :)

Now where's Steve and his 70Mhz SCSI Beastie?

pintcat 15 August 2011 00:04

Something's wrong... The latest 1.3.1 beta doesn't even start on my machine! Error log says: "Could not switch to video mode (320 x 200)!" This used to be the standard screen mode for all previous versions. Also, setting the tool type "AUTO_SELECT_VIDEO=FALSE" has no effect anymore. Thus I'm unable to choose another screen mode or resolution.

Edit: Never mind. Just noticed the necessity for the VGA Only & Multiscan monitor drivers.

NovaCoder 15 August 2011 05:13

Hiya,

Yep the BETA is VGA only, let me know how you get on with it and see if you can get the Boing Ball on the splash screen ;)

The release version will probably also support PAL/NTSC.

This will be my last native AGA release, the plan is for all future versions to be Indivision Mrk2 only and the next ECS version will probably be Indivision ECS only.

klapdeur 15 August 2011 17:28

Hi novacoder how is it going with the rtg version??

Some people have no indivision yet so rtg would be great.

greetz

klapdeur