English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   RESHOOT R - A new shoot em up by Richard Löwenstein is HERE! (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=97532)

roondar 25 June 2019 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minuous (Post 1329157)
Sure, MS-DOS games were the way you describe, but I was talking about games being released these days: if someone downloads and run a Windows game it just works on pretty much any Wintel box

If the PC in question has one of the two graphics card architectures that tend to be supported then maybe. Otherwise it definitely won't. I've personally had to replace a graphics card in my PC to fix compatibilities. And on my current laptop 80% of games won't even start, while those that do tend not to work.

And yes, even 2D games are sometimes affected here.

Even if the above is all taken care of, running the wrong version of Windows or the wrong applications while the game is running can and often does lead to problems.

In short: this is just not true. PC's are rife with incompatibilities. Again, just check some game forums.
Quote:

, but many new Amiga games require a specific configuration or they won't work. Having a 68060 or extra RAM whatever shouldn't be considered "non-standard" on an Amiga any more than having a particular x86 CPU or amount of RAM on an IBM is. The machines were designed to be expandable.
This is also false. The vast majority of new Amiga games run perfectly fine on a 68060 or with extra RAM. This game is one of those that works just fine with a 68060. As Richard pointed out, the problem seems to be in the programs run in the background - which is a common problem on Windows as well.

Please understand: the above is nothing personal, I'm only replying because what you're saying is incorrect.

vulture 25 June 2019 10:27

I'm pretty sure OS4.x and MorphOS games are as easy to run as Windows ones. That takes a more modern OS and hardware powerful enough to need no metal banging to get the job done though. You can't compare fairly 68k+OS3.x to a (ie) XP+P4 or higher system.

Tigerskunk 25 June 2019 11:37

Yep, you are paying the convenience of having these abstraction layers with speed.

Off course you won't have as much compatibility when you are directly coding for a machines chipset.
But that's what we are doing here. And anything else doesn't interest me on the Amiga. If i'd want to code Library and OS-Routines stuff, I'd do that on my Windows PC.

Wachi 25 June 2019 16:12

Well, I'm going to enjoy it for the moment in my 1200 and my CD32 :D
hope that soon all the problems in other formats can be solved
With Amiga everything is possible .. :great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX2Pt1ueKUo&t=8s :agree

blade002 25 June 2019 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puggsy (Post 1328382)
060 is pretty much standard in A1200 scene since forever.

Curiously I wonder why you think that? The Demoscene?? how many people when it comes to the entirety of the Amiga scene are invested enough to own an 060 to run 060 demos?

The 060 was the dream accelerator for many, most who bought an accelerator lived within the realm of a budget of a faster 020 then if able an 030 or 040 and didn't see the need to go to an 060 since there wasn't enough incentive titles wise to go there after the demise of Commodore as things dried up.

Yes there were ports of PC games that made use of the 060 but since they were sparse most still didn't bother and catering for lowest common denominator isn't exactly a profitable venture when the market is already tight with standard Amiga's alone.

I myself have had a Blizzard 030 since '96 and wouldn't expect anything more than support for a standard A1200 in this day and age or a standard A500 ..etc for that matter.

DamienD 25 June 2019 19:30

Hi Richard,

I asked this question back on page 6 of the thread but never received an answer.

I purchased the digital download i.e. "ReshootR-Full-Download.lha" ;)

If I extract everything to a folder and start the game, or run the installer and then start the game, I get this title screen:

http://i68.tinypic.com/8zhdf9.png

However, if I extract everything from "/Extras/Archive/reshootr.lha" and then start the game I have a different title screen?

http://i66.tinypic.com/2ilzbo.png

So, what's the difference between these 2 sets of files if any (besides the title screen)?

Also what title screen did you use on the CD32 .ISO?

Wachi 25 June 2019 22:36

So I could see everything that has to do with the CD shows you the second screen, if you start from the CD, if the installation is made from the CD and the CD32 boot also. :spin
Only the first screen shows me the installation that I put in a 1200 of the files that I downloaded before the physical copy arrived.
The deduction I think it is, that the files on the CD and the bin are the same as the extra files in the download.

Minuous 26 June 2019 02:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steril707 (Post 1329170)
Off course you won't have as much compatibility when you are directly coding for a machines chipset.

That's not necessarily the case: a game running under WHDLoad is directly accessing the chipset, yet doing so in a compatible manner. The WHDLoad slaves are largely just fixing bugs in the games, eg. lack of blitter waits, doing things which cause problems on later 680x0s, etc. which if the original game did not have such bugs, and had instead adhered to the official guidelines, it would have been compatible from the start.

buzzybee 26 June 2019 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1329226)
Hi Richard,

I asked this question back on page 6 of the thread but never received an answer.

I purchased the digital download i.e. "ReshootR-Full-Download.lha" ;)

If I extract everything to a folder and start the game, or run the installer and then start the game, I get this title screen:

http://i68.tinypic.com/8zhdf9.png

However, if I extract everything from "/Extras/Archive/reshootr.lha" and then start the game I have a different title screen?

http://i66.tinypic.com/2ilzbo.png

So, what's the difference between these 2 sets of files if any (besides the title screen)?

Also what title screen did you use on the CD32 .ISO?

This is one of the small surprises hidden within the game. There are basically different introscreens in the digital and the physical version of the game. Physical version (ISO) uses the lower introscreen when booted, installed or started from the folder. That´s the only ingame difference.

DamienD 26 June 2019 16:40

Cheers for the information Richard ;)

vulture 27 June 2019 11:50

@Minuous

Yes, but WHDLoad needs extra RAM to build a kind of sandbox to do that. I think 2mb are the absolute minimum for most games. And even then, some of them suffer from stuttering issues, like SWOS (dunno if this has been fixed in the mean time tho).

Predseda 28 June 2019 09:35

Buzzybee: how do the sales go with Reshoot R, it it is not a secret?

mai 30 June 2019 15:54

Nice game, awesome Soundtrack :great, surely worth to buy.

mai 03 July 2019 19:54

back to WB possible?

thairacerjp 05 July 2019 02:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by mai (Post 1330494)
back to WB possible?

from the author of reshoot-r 'buzzybee" on page 3 of this thread :
Quote:

@all who asked for a quit function: Function is in there, but disabled for safety reasons. Why, you ask: I cannot guarantee 100% that the code alters the Amigas memory. Therefore, if someone would use his Amiga for some serious business, then start RESHOOT R and quit, it might happen that some data gets lost. Myself, I did not experience such a situation with the final code, but stili I do not want to be responsible for any kind of modified data. Sorry!
:)

mai 06 July 2019 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by thairacerjp (Post 1330763)
from the author of reshoot-r 'buzzybee" on page 3 of this thread :

:)

thanks for info :) , i was too lazy to read the whole thread!

invent 13 July 2019 13:23

If your curious on longplays here is a great video from Morgan of ReshootR

https://youtu.be/mXhf2Gj6dIE

Spoilers included :)

roondar 23 October 2019 11:23

I'm going to be buying this either this month or next month and I see there's at least two (maybe three!?) CD versions available: a "classic" version, a "pure" version and a "signature" version.

Can someone tell me what exactly the differences are?
The store suggests the only difference is the signature version gets extra goodies such as a soundtrack CD.

But surely there are others? (why else have two versions)

buzzybee 23 October 2019 13:59

There are two versions of the game on CD-ROM available, plus a separate soundtrack-CD.

All infos to be found here.

roondar 23 October 2019 14:01

Thanks, I'll check it out