English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.Amiga Game Factory (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Scorpion Engine (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=97450)

acidbottle 03 April 2022 10:47

Ahh have hit a snag which someone might be able to offer advice.

Using the SE exe2adf function, it no longer works with wonderboy, despite deleting more files than were in the last alpha! Says its complete but offers no window to save the adf, thus it does not save the file.

Exe2adf does work on other projects .. whats happened here then? :(

acidbottle 03 April 2022 11:03

it seems my data folder (in output folder) went from 500k to over 2MB in the past few builds, Ive literally taken files away from the demo build so it should theoretically be a lot less!

Not using the latest experimental version though as I have a small issue with something, using one from around the beginning of March.

acidbottle 03 April 2022 11:14

Hmm have deleted output and recompiled, still over 2mb which is strange, was never that large before :spin

acidbottle 03 April 2022 11:44

linker address map files size (in data folder) appears to have increased from about 5k to 175k per map level! Earok ...?? :D

earok 03 April 2022 12:32

@acidbottle is implode compression still ticked? If it is, can you check your data files in a text editor to make sure the first four characters are "IMP!"

@flibble42 For a map you can scroll around, I'd create an actor that uses just the "control" movement type and turn off all collisions for it, that way you'll be able to move around the entire level.

---

Did a check in and another soft launch of 2022.2 on public. Just two bugs - reported issue where jumping up and down on a slope sometimes makes the player "snap" to the surface rather than properly land, and another one where the X/Y coordinates in the actor tab wasn't displaying correctly.

Regarding Discord, I've been sitting on the official PixelGlass server for awhile, though I haven't told the public about it until now. I figure there's no reason not to get it out there so here it is - https://discord.gg/VpWBCd8TGg - though I'll still prefer to do most of my discussion of Scorpion here (so that everything I discuss can be found on a google search).

acidbottle 03 April 2022 13:00

Thanks again earok :great

I had indeed switched off implode compression, I think because I was getting a recoverable alert (amber guru) on compiling to WinUAE, still am but it compiles and works fine when adf is loaded into WinUAE, outwith scorpion.

On a plus note, seems there are almost no framedrops on stock 1200 with no fastmem set, though never know with emulator settings, sometimes I trust them ..

Awesome news on the discord front for some, I do have issues with discord (like getting it to login) so happy to waffle away on these boards regardless.

flibble42 03 April 2022 13:09

@earok Do you have enough pull to get the whole Dan Dare thing moved to a new topic?

Mixel 03 April 2022 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by earok (Post 1539044)
Just two bugs - reported issue where jumping up and down on a slope sometimes makes the player "snap" to the surface rather than properly land

Thanks for that fix! :D

Quote:

Regarding Discord, I've been sitting on the official PixelGlass server for awhile, though I haven't told the public about it until now. I figure there's no reason not to get it out there so here it is - https://discord.gg/VpWBCd8TGg - though I'll still prefer to do most of my discussion of Scorpion here (so that everything I discuss can be found on a google search).
Great to see it’s there as an option. :D I wonder if someone’s made a discord bot that archives some sort of flagged posts to a Wordpress somehow, or something like that? Just trying to think of a good way around the searchability issue.

Z-TEAM 03 April 2022 19:05

Quote:

The future development of Scorpion Engine relies on voluntary backer support, especially for developing documentation and tutorials, editor support on other platforms, engine support on other consoles and computers, and ongoing creation of new features and performance optimization.
I'm not sure that Patreon is a good way to distribute software. Instead of 2 versions based on sales volume, why not have 3 versions (free, premium, ultimate) with each one specific (ultimate = multi console; premium - special add on for amiga/cd32, indie=basic functions), this will also allow to set goals and an amount to reach per month for the campaign. The free version will integrate some add-ons of the premium version with a delay of some months.
I don't understand this splashscreen concept. The big 3d engines (Unity, Unreal, Cry) are fighting for their notoriety on a hyper competitive market, retro dev remains a niche market and the sdk that stay in time and evolve are linked to the community. You can have the best tool, today it's the community, the tutorials and support that make the difference.

earok 04 April 2022 02:37

@flibble42 sadly I don't have that pull! I'd go ahead and make a fresh topic, but put a note in asking for a mod to transfer the relevant posts.

@acidbottle glad Wonderboy performance seems to be alright on stock A1200! Regarding that warning, I didn't that caused by compression *but* I know the Add21K option can cause that (Add21K is mainly just there if you really need to squeeze out as much memory as possible on older Amigas).

@z-team I didn't want to restrict features, my intention is to make it so that someone using the free edition has as much capability as someone using a premium version, but those that are supporting the premium versions get different splash screens (or if they're top level supporters, the ability to make their own splash screen) as thanks.

Also the subscription gets you more than just a copy of the editor (perks like downloads for things like the RetroAnimator kit, votes on things like feature priority, possibly early access to things like tutorials)

---

Amiga Bill's twitch stream today featured Cammy, RJ Michal, Hitch and Glen from Glen's Retro Show for the judging of the AmiGameJam entries. I'm very proud that AcidBottle, Dante Mendes, NEESO and Z-Team all entered solid ports for the jam (Wonderboy, Green Beret, Castlevania AGA, Jackal and Rick Dangerous).

Green Beret in particular won 3rd place, behind JOTD's excellent port of Ms Pacman (2nd) and Hoffman's fantastic Knightmare (1st).

merman 04 April 2022 08:45

The Scorpion Engine really had a strong showing in the AmiGameJam. Shows what it can achieve.

acidbottle 04 April 2022 08:55

Should be incredibly proud of Scorpion Engine, for sure. Was great to see so many well received ports! Congrats to h0ffman, what a fantastic prize that was!

domkid 04 April 2022 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by earok (Post 1539142)
Amiga Bill's twitch stream today featured Cammy, RJ Michal, Hitch and Glen from Glen's Retro Show for the judging of the AmiGameJam entries. I'm very proud that AcidBottle, Dante Mendes, NEESO and Z-Team all entered solid ports for the jam (Wonderboy, Green Beret, Castlevania AGA, Jackal and Rick Dangerous).

thanks Earok for this amazing Engine and this fantastic work... :great

Tsak 04 April 2022 15:51

Congrats to all participants and winners! Great work guys! :great

Mixel 05 April 2022 15:17

Yup, congrats everybody that was such a fun stream and Scorpion stuff did so well!

--

Is there some way to stop the bug where if you try to load a newly compiled game with its' icon it doesnt load unless you switch it to Shell instead of Workbench? :)

earok 05 April 2022 16:19

@Mixel ahh.. probably.. I guess maybe the icon I included is corrupted? Feel free to send me your fixed one.

Cheers @domkid, @acidbottle! I was proud of you guys, Neeso and Dante for the fantastic work you all did!

Thanks for the kind words @merman!

---

https://i.imgur.com/9kKsbKw.gif

I've been helping Mike at BitBeamCannon with a brand new Amiga game for A500 in Scorpion Engine, and he's been making fantastic use of features like parallax and translucency in four bitplane mode, as well as demonstrating some cool gameplay concepts.

Together, we've been working on a video series. This is not a tutorial series for making a game from scratch, but documenting the steps of how this game was made, with tips and tricks for Scorpion beginners and veterans alike.

Mike has posted the first video, and it covers the process of setting up a new project and implementing the level parallax. The second and third videos will come sometime in the next few days.

https://youtu.be/WjSqH0MO7Aw

Finally, BitBeamCannon will be posting their own announcement and video about the project in the near future, with more details and the rules for possible collaboration or contribution to the project.

domkid 05 April 2022 17:12

thanks, super kool !

acidbottle 06 April 2022 00:17

Amazing stuff again! Loads of stuff going on with Scorpion lately, which is great to see. Hope to pick up a trick or 2 with these vids.

Samurai_Crow 06 April 2022 00:28

@acidbottle

Mike Parent is an expert. You'll learn a lot about game art from his videos.

@Michael Parent

Excellent work as always!

Mixel 06 April 2022 00:53

That's such a damn good video! Amazing. Congrats both. :D I learnt a few things from this too, really interesting.

I didnt realise the panel gap was adjustable.. ! Looking forward to watching Mike use ProMotion more too in the scorpion workflow, as I love it but it's UI is so weird to me that i have a lot of adjusting to do.