English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 06 September 2023, 13:50   #21
AMike

The same whining as with the Diabloport. The Vampire Diabloport runs also on a "normal" Amiga - but in most cases too slow due to lacking CPU/RTG performance. Whoever can do it better should courageously step forward and make a better port - same counts forRobin Hood - who can deliver a better 68k port please implement it. Caution: Could be more difficult than crying in a forum.
Old 06 September 2023, 14:09   #22
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMike View Post
The same whining as with the Diabloport. The Vampire Diabloport runs also on a "normal" Amiga - but in most cases too slow due to lacking CPU/RTG performance. Whoever can do it better should courageously step forward and make a better port - same counts forRobin Hood - who can deliver a better 68k port please implement it. Caution: Could be more difficult than crying in a forum.
Nobody's reasonably expecting it to run on a 68040 PicassoIV sort of machine, hence my comment about PiStorms and NG systems. And, as I quoted from the first post, it looks like this port will not run on a standard 68k system as it's using custom features of the Vampire board. And, given that it looks to be a commercial endeavour, it's not really open for someone to produce a better port - if the Apollo team want to exclude potential customers and make it a platform-exclusive for their product, then that's entirely up to them. Also, the Diablo port's a different case, given that there are also ports for MOS and OS4 available.
Old 06 September 2023, 15:06   #23
AMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Nobody's reasonably expecting it to run on a 68040 PicassoIV sort of machine, hence my comment about PiStorms and NG systems.
Why would someone from the Apollo team do this work? (There is a MOS Port btw.)

Quote:
And, as I quoted from the first post, it looks like this port will not run on a standard 68k system as it's using custom features of the Vampire board.
This might have something to do with the high system requirements of the game. Diablo - minimum requirement Pentium 60Mhz, 8MB RAM - game runs poorly on a 68k Amiga. Robin Hood - minimum requirement 1 GHZ CPU - 512MB RAM. If Diablo doesn't run fast enough, how can a Robin Hood 68k port be fast enough? From my point of view it would be a miracle if it should ever run reasonably on a V4.
Old 06 September 2023, 15:27   #24
Daedalus

Quote:
Why would someone from the Apollo team do this work?
Indeed, as I said in my post, that's entirely up to them and their business model. I don't have any expectations of anything from that team.

Quote:
(There is a MOS Port btw.)
Yep. I also mentioned this previously.

Quote:
This might have something to do with the high system requirements of the game.
Of course it could be, and I never tried to say otherwise. If the Apollo team need to optimise the crap out of it with custom opcodes and what not, then fair enough. I'm not sure just how much help that will be though, and ultimately there are other machines that I've already mentioned that can easily beat the Vampire performance and run standard 68k code.

Quote:
Diablo - minimum requirement Pentium 60Mhz, 8MB RAM - game runs poorly on a 68k Amiga.
Like I said, machines I mentioned previously will happily run 68k code as fast as needed.

Quote:
Robin Hood - minimum requirement 1 GHZ CPU - 512MB RAM.
Now you're talking complete nonsense. 1GHz CPUs were the peak of performance around the time the game came out, not a minimum spec. The minimum requirements were a Pentium 2 CPU and 64MB of RAM.
Old 06 September 2023, 15:30   #25
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
And, given that it looks to be a commercial endeavour, it's not really open for someone to produce a better port
Where in the first post does it say that this is a commercial endeavour? It's clearly stated that this is an experiment to see what can be done on the Vampire with the intention to generate interest amongst developers.

This is possibly an attempt to show off features that might appeal to other developers to try their hand at their own projects.
If someone whats to make their own Robin Hood port for Pistorm etc, I don't see why this should stop them.
Old 06 September 2023, 15:33   #26
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_sk View Post
Where in the first post does it say that this is a commercial endeavour?
The detail in this article:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korodny View Post
Old 06 September 2023, 15:36   #27
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
The detail in this article:
Ok. Missed that post. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 06 September 2023, 19:10   #28
AMike

Quote:
Now you're talking complete nonsense. 1GHz CPUs were the peak of performance around the time the game came out, not a minimum spec. The minimum requirements were a Pentium 2 CPU and 64MB of RAM.
So please inform Steam. And btw. Pentium 2 begins at 233 MHz, Diablo needs a 60 MHz CPU and run slowly on 060, anything else "nonsense" you wanna add?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230906-190755.png
Views:	53
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	80153  
Old 06 September 2023, 19:14   #29
kriz

" Description,
The Legend of Sherwood

System requirements: Pegasos I/II@ 600 MHz or better, 128 MB RAM, Radeon 7000 or better, MorphOS 1.4.x, CD-Rom. " From the morphos release
Old 06 September 2023, 19:53   #30
Aardvark

Source: https://www.ebay.com/itm/304850274526
Old 06 September 2023, 20:37   #31
Calabazam

Steam requirements don't match real requirements of these old games because you need to run Steam and Windows 7/10/11 on top of that.
Indeed there are 233 MHz Pentium II although rare, it really begun at 266 MHz and there are 266 MHz Pentium MMX although very rare.
Old 06 September 2023, 20:44   #32
mschulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
Or perhaps the whole port is not even legal, like with Diablo? (which, funny enough, runs fine on the PiStorm, despite it saying it's AMMX-optimized - so either that's a lie or Emu68 can handle those instructions)
No, Emu68 does not handle any of Apollo special opcodes/modes/addressing modes.
Old 06 September 2023, 20:48   #33
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
So please inform Steam. And btw. Pentium 2 begins at 233 MHz, Diablo needs a 60 MHz CPU and run slowly on 060, anything else "nonsense" you wanna add?
If they told you wolverines would make good house pets, would you believe them?
Old 07 September 2023, 00:09   #34
pixie

It was said on the video that this is based on a different version that needed 1ghz pc...

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by pixie; 07 September 2023 at 00:16.
Old 07 September 2023, 05:26   #35
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzloeffel View Post
Here you go on my a1200 ppc running debian linux I dont need a vampire
This was also ported by gunnar... whats now new with it? Vampire? Come on

Attachment 80135Attachment 80135Attachment 80134
How well does that run if at all, I mean unless you just mocked up these photos with DPaint or your monitor is hooked up to a sick gaming tower with an Athlon and a Rage Fury?
Old 07 September 2023, 08:01   #36
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

I'd love to see a WOS port. Any classic ppc cards could do this with lots of CPU idle.
Old 07 September 2023, 13:51   #37
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
Probably because they fear a proper port that would also run on PiStorm/Emu68 would make people ask why they bought a Vampire at all. By not making it run on anything but the Vampire, they don't have to face that comparison...
Or maybe because their cusomers might appreciate something that makes use of their hardware?

Quote:
...Diablo? (which, funny enough, runs fine on the PiStorm, despite it saying it's AMMX-optimized - so either that's a lie or Emu68 can handle those instructions)
Or maybe it was coded to take advantge of AMMX when available?

Quote:
Anyway, it's sad when such an effort to port a great game to the Amiga platform is handled like that.
Yeah, why bother when people will just complain about it?

Not sure this game is so great though. It looks like a typical sucky 'modern' PC game.
Old 07 September 2023, 21:42   #38
Daedalus

Quote:
As others have pointed out, Steam requirements bear little resemblance to the actual game requirements for a variety of reasons. But if you want to follow your line of thinking, the system requirements for the original Diablo on GOG include a 1GHz CPU and 2GB RAM
Old 08 September 2023, 08:00   #39
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
As others have pointed out, Steam requirements bear little resemblance to the actual game requirements for a variety of reasons.
Another fun fact about the Steam minimum requirements is that they change over time.
Old 08 September 2023, 11:22   #40
AMike

Quote:
As others have pointed out, Steam requirements bear little resemblance to the actual game requirements for a variety of reasons. But if you want to follow your line of thinking, the system requirements for the original Diablo on GOG include a 1GHz CPU and 2GB RAM
My line of thinking was obvious to (almost) everyone. Diablo has significantly lower hardware requirements than Robin Hood and runs slowly on 060 CpU, ergo a port without AMMX optimisation by the Apollo team makes no sense. Apollo card owners will be happy and everyone else can sit down and write a 68k port that will only run smoothly on PiStorm. Simpel as that.