English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 08 October 2022, 21:59   #1
koobo

playsid.library with reSID support

Hello!

Some interesting developments related to SID music:

playsid.library sources were recently uploaded to github: https://github.com/erique/playsid.library

The accurate SID emulation engine reSID by Dag Lem was ported to MC680x0 assembler:
https://github.com/koobo/playsid.lib.../feature/resid

playsid.library was modified to use reSID instead of the original SID emulation: https://github.com/koobo/playsid.lib.../feature/resid

You can find the library binaries from the above link. Drop it into LIBS: and HippoPlayer and DeliTracker will use it to play SID files.

They will sound crazy good.

You need a lot of CPU power for this, a 68060 will work, don't know about 68040. No FPU required.

Greetz to Erique and Spot!
Old 09 October 2022, 11:14   #2
OlafSch

Sorry for asking... I only find sources, where exactly are the binaries?
Old 09 October 2022, 11:28   #3
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
Sorry for asking... I only find sources, where exactly are the binaries?
Here's a direct link: https://github.com/koobo/playsid.lib...laysid.library

Also note that this is an early version, there may be problems.
Old 09 October 2022, 13:22   #4
Marce

this new playsid.library 1.3 consumes too much cpu I just tested it
it needs a cpu where sysinfo reports 35 mips or more
means you need at least a 060/50 mhz or faster to play sids: ridiculous

then I set a config on winuae to sysinfo report 29 mips which is aprox the speed of the 040/40 mhz and the cpu is full and sound is scratched sometimes: unusable

yet the best way to play sids on the Amiga is using Eagleplayer , because it is the one that sounds better, even do not use the playsid,library it have a built in sidplayer which don't waste too much cpu, even a 030 can play sids there
Old 09 October 2022, 14:55   #5
DisasterIncarna

how can we actually tell if the playsid library is in use and being used? if i delete my playsid.library, hippo still plays sids, when i put the library back, open snoopdos and tell it to only show openlibrary calls, then run hippo and play a sid, i only see hippo opening reqtools/iffparse and workbench library.

Also the volume control you previously added for sids seems to not be working again.

Are there any prefs for playsid? like adjusting which sid type is being used/etc, i notice a load of my sids play fine but some sound weird/glitchy like ACE2.

EDIT: ok snoopdos isnt showing me the playsid but scout shows the library is loaded.
Old 09 October 2022, 16:41   #6
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce View Post
this new playsid.library 1.3 consumes too much cpu I just tested it
it needs a cpu where sysinfo reports 35 mips or more

then I set a config on winuae to sysinfo report 29 mips which is aprox the speed of the 040/40 mhz and the cpu is full and sound is scratched sometimes: unusable

yet the best way to play sids on the Amiga is using Eagleplayer , because it is the one that sounds better, even do not use the playsid,library it have a built in sidplayer which don't waste too much cpu, even a 030 can play sids there
Perhaps some background information is in order!

EaglePlayer, HippoPlayer and DeliTracker all use the same playsid codebase by Per Sundell & Ron Birk. Deli and Hippo use it in a library form, Eagle has the same code inside an eagleplayer plugin.

playsid.library is pretty cool as it uses very little CPU and works on A500. It has one glaring, crucial to the C64 sound, omission: it does not emulate SID filters at all. It's not surprising though, as it is very complex and time consuming to model filters.

Enter reSID. The aim of this engine is to be the ultimate SID emulator. The SID chip runs at about one megahertz, each of these clock ticks is modeled by reSID to be as exact as possible. Furthermore, it carefully models both the internal and external analog filters.

reSID is used by most SID players on modern platforms as it provides the best sound. So far however, it has not been available on the Classic Amiga. It's a bit of a stretch though, only the lowest quality setting out of four available is in any way attainable from the CPU power perspective.

But now, for the 68060 owners (even those without an FPU) there's a choice!

Last edited by koobo; 09 October 2022 at 17:03.
Old 09 October 2022, 16:51   #7
DisasterIncarna

well it sounds pretty good so far with 1 or 2 weird playback differences, ace2 and phantoms of the asteroid sound..... strange, probably more will as well, nothing that cant be solved with a different player or by using a remixed/alternate sid i suppose, but its a nice update, i do like my sids.

Just need that volume control working again as its back to max volume only, might have to get my headset back on in the meantime, play around with its volume control for now.
Old 09 October 2022, 16:59   #8
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
Also the volume control you previously added for sids seems to not be working again.

Are there any prefs for playsid? like adjusting which sid type is being used/etc, i notice a load of my sids play fine but some sound weird/glitchy like ACE2.
Some further reSID integration with Hippo should be done, such as
- Select SID chip model: 6581 or 8580
- Turn filter on and off
- Volume adjustment
- Scopes support (reSID actually provides a mixed stream with three channels)
- ... maybe some more
Old 09 October 2022, 17:10   #9
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
well it sounds pretty good so far with 1 or 2 weird playback differences, ace2 and phantoms of the asteroid sound..... strange, probably more will as well, nothing that cant be solved with a different player or by using a remixed/alternate sid i suppose, but its a nice update, i do like my sids.

Just need that volume control working again as its back to max volume only, might have to get my headset back on in the meantime, play around with its volume control for now.
I will check out ace2 and phantoms of the asteroid, there are likely some bugs left.
Old 09 October 2022, 18:40   #10
DisasterIncarna

out of interest, have you tries SID4AMIGA and DELISID4AMIGA, that has its own library and i find the music it generates to be of decent quality, the deli plugin also has a multitude of options to play with.

If a sid doesnt quite sound right its what i'm using atm as a backup, no idea if thats doing its own thing or using a playsid/resid implimentation but it makes the sid's i have issues with sound fairly normal/decent.

Maybe a tickbox to include support for sid4amiga.library? which is disabled defaults to playsid/etc?

its a fairly old set of packages but still seem to work well.
https://aminet.net/search?query=sid4amiga
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sid4amiga.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	76803  
Old 09 October 2022, 19:48   #11
Marce

Quote:
Originally Posted by koobo View Post
Perhaps some background information is in order!

EaglePlayer, HippoPlayer and DeliTracker all use the same playsid codebase by Per Sundell & Ron Birk. Deli and Hippo use it in a library form, Eagle has the same code inside an eagleplayer plugin.

playsid.library is pretty cool as it uses very little CPU and works on A500. It has one glaring, crucial to the C64 sound, omission: it does not emulate SID filters at all. It's not surprising though, as it is very complex and time consuming to model filters.

Enter reSID. The aim of this engine is to be the ultimate SID emulator. The SID chip runs at about one megahertz, each of these clock ticks is modeled by reSID to be as exact as possible. Furthermore, it carefully models both the internal and external analog filters.

reSID is used by most SID players on modern platforms as it provides the best sound. So far however, it has not been available on the Classic Amiga. It's a bit of a stretch though, only the lowest quality setting out of four available is in any way attainable from the CPU power perspective.

But now, for the 68060 owners (even those without an FPU) there's a choice!

yes the library you compiled sound a bit better than the old one but is usable only in winuae because it consumes lot of cpu power
please note that also the emulator Magic 64 uses playsid.library, then using this new library there is no cpu power for emulation even on the 060

can you compile a more friendly library which consume less cpu ?

Last edited by Marce; 10 October 2022 at 01:51.
Old 09 October 2022, 19:49   #12
spoUP

i never managed to get the sid4amiga deli plugin work here it just crashes, any hints? the standalone player do work though.
Old 09 October 2022, 20:47   #13
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoUP View Post
i never managed to get the sid4amiga deli plugin work here it just crashes, any hints? the standalone player do work though.
not sure, all i did was place the plugin with the rest, added the player in C: and the library in LIBS:, made sure the players other reqs are met such as asyncio.library, AHI and it all kinda just worked.

The instructions for the plugin also tells you that you have to move/disable DeliSID if tis present as they clash/cant be used together, yo also have to configure the player before attempting to use it as it needs the players location/other prefs set.
Old 10 October 2022, 14:39   #14
polluks

thx Kari-Pekka
maybe I can add support in GoatTracker...
Old 10 November 2022, 08:25   #15
koobo

There's a new version of playsid.library available in the HippoPlayer archive: http://aminet.net/mus/play/hippoplayerupdate.lha

Changes:
  • SIDBlaster USB support (by Erique)
  • New reSID sampling modes for improved sound quality
  • reSID speed optimizations (still needs a 68060 )
  • Improved HippoPlayer integration

EDIT: The original post had a wrong github reSID link, the correct one is: https://github.com/koobo/resid-68k

Last edited by koobo; 10 November 2022 at 08:32.
Old 10 November 2022, 23:08   #16
spoUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by polluks View Post
thx Kari-Pekka
maybe I can add support in GoatTracker...
That would be totally awesome!
Especially with the sidblaster!

I can beta test for you.
Old 25 November 2022, 16:56   #17
Legionary
OldSk00l Crackers

my playysid library came from phs and it already a playsid,library v1.2 whats new? i dont know (no docs)
Old 25 November 2022, 17:26   #18
8bitbubsy
Tracker Nerd

Quote:
[...]
[...]
With high accuracy comes high CPU requirements. Let us people with a 68060 allow to have some fun creating highly accurate players for it. If you can't use it, you can always revert to the legacy playsid.library...
Old 25 November 2022, 18:39   #19
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
yes the library you compiled sound a bit better than the old one but is usable only in winuae because it consumes lot of cpu power
please note that also the emulator Magic 64 uses playsid.library, then using this new library there is no cpu power for emulation even on the 060 can you compile a more friendly library which consume less cpu ?
On pistorm accelerator on my A600 it is working perfectly fine, even leaves some 50% of CPU for other shenanigans time to upgrade....
Old 25 November 2022, 23:39   #20
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionary View Post
my playysid library came from phs and it already a playsid,library v1.2 whats new? i dont know (no docs)
You can find the readme here: https://github.com/koobo/playsid.lib...sid/README.txt