English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 02 March 2012, 10:14   #41
alexh
Thalion Webshrine
alexh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford
Posts: 11,940
Wow, old thread revisited.

I don't think the users are at fault. It is the creators/hosts of the abandonware sites which are truly breaking the law by publishing content they do not have the rights to.

I think that the Nintendo Virtual Console and other such re-creations have shown that Retrogaming can still earn the creators of old games an income. And why shouldn't it?
alexh is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 02 March 2012, 11:16   #42
laffer
Zone Friend

laffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Norway
Age: 36
Posts: 1,335
The only issue I have with that is you never know which games will be released, and it often means games being unavailable for years and years, some more than a decade, before they're released again.
In any case, if I download old games and enjoy them, and they're later on released for a system I own, I always end up buying them (in fact, I'm probably more likely to buy them if it's something I've been playing over the years and not some old game I haven't touched in ages)... which I realize isn't an argument in favor of downloading them in the first place, but at least I don't cause anyone to lose any money.

That said, I really think it's cool how several old games have been re-released on the current generation of consoles... especially when they add some extra features, most importantly coop netplay.
laffer is offline  
Old 05 March 2012, 23:22   #43
gilgamesh
Linux snob

gilgamesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Monkey Island
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
In any case, if I download old games and enjoy them, and they're later on released for a system I own, I always end up buying them (in fact, I'm probably more likely to buy them if it's something I've been playing over the years and not some old game I haven't touched in ages)...
Same here.

There are cases of software that are really abandoned and most likely the owners never heard anything about it. Of course that's only a small percentage of what runs under the name abandonware.
gilgamesh is offline  
Old 06 March 2012, 01:56   #44
lesta_smsc
Registered User

lesta_smsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,223
If I recall correctly, "Sold Out" used to re-release some old classics to legally own?
lesta_smsc is offline  
Old 12 March 2012, 19:41   #45
synchro
Sending You Back In Time
synchro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Age: 55
Posts: 976
Oh this is an interesting thread re-opened....And after 9 years
Thats not being sarcastic in any way this is a really interesting thread to go back to.

Lets see what has changed in 9 years...

People in prison after downloading abandonware = 0
Abandonware sites closed down through legal action =0

The way i look at it just like the Amiga....Only the community keeps these alive no one else really cares. You may get the odd few throw their dummy about but ironicly its usually people with strict principles not publishers or programmers.
synchro is offline  
Old 13 March 2012, 09:45   #46
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

mr.vince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hawk's Creek
Age: 41
Posts: 1,374
But what about all these retro-games being ported to platforms like iOS? Abandonware is an interesting topic (e.g. Copyright lasts for 70 years after the author's death) and I'd really like to see academia doing more research. It's not all black and white...
mr.vince is offline  
Old 13 March 2012, 16:10   #47
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel
gimbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spijkenisse/Netherlands
Age: 36
Posts: 2,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
But what about all these retro-games being ported to platforms like iOS? Abandonware is an interesting topic (e.g. Copyright lasts for 70 years after the author's death) and I'd really like to see academia doing more research. It's not all black and white...
Could you elaborate a bit more? What exactly should these academia be researching into? What is legal and what is not?
gimbal is offline  
Old 13 March 2012, 17:09   #48
synchro
Sending You Back In Time
synchro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Age: 55
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Could you elaborate a bit more? What exactly should these academia be researching into? What is legal and what is not?
I dont really think the end result would make a difference....If its legal we will play them if its illegal we will still play them....

Time would be better wasted by academia on why they still use those little twisty keys on corned beef tins.....Weird !!
synchro is offline  
Old 14 March 2012, 13:41   #49
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

mr.vince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hawk's Creek
Age: 41
Posts: 1,374
It does make a huge difference for museums, libraries etc. Some of them would like to show or store certain assets, but depending on where they are, they are allowed to do this or not.

So it does make a difference.

This is not about people playing such titles in private. Just go ahead. We can't keep you from smoking pot either.
mr.vince is offline  
Old 14 March 2012, 14:30   #50
seuden
uber cool demi god

seuden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kent/England
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchro View Post
Time would be better wasted by academia on why they still use those little twisty keys on corned beef tins.....Weird !!
seuden is offline  
Old 14 March 2012, 23:40   #51
synchro
Sending You Back In Time
synchro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Age: 55
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
It does make a huge difference for museums, libraries etc. Some of them would like to show or store certain assets, but depending on where they are, they are allowed to do this or not.

So it does make a difference.

This is not about people playing such titles in private. Just go ahead. We can't keep you from smoking pot either.
I understand a little better now with that explanation ye its a good point and i can see your reasoning.
Got any pot though
synchro is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fresh link to abandonware site s2325 request.Other 13 28 October 2012 13:36
Ancient Toys - Amiga Abandonware Frog Amiga websites reviews 3 24 November 2004 12:39
Site with amiga "abandonware warez" ??? keropi Amiga scene 0 02 November 2004 10:28
Abandonware abelthorne New to Emulation or Amiga scene 29 10 February 2004 02:04
Developers and programmers weigh in on "Abandonware" APFelon Retrogaming General Discussion 17 26 February 2002 16:54

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.18235 seconds with 11 queries