English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 01 February 2019, 20:17   #1
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Send a message via MSN to MazinKaesar Send a message via Yahoo to MazinKaesar
Hooooo Amiga OS 3.1.4 Installation

I am no more used to install Amiga OS from zero, I need a bit of recap.

I can install OS 3.1.4 on an Amiga 1200 with 3.0 ROMS, correct?

As I have an ACA 1230, after the installation I want to load the new rom (provided with OS 3.1.4) in the 1mb area dedicated of the board. I never done something like that as my first 1200 was equipped with an MTEC board, where can I find some documentation about?
Old 01 February 2019, 20:26   #2
jurassicman

As far as I know in order to install Amiga OS 3.1.4 you need the ROMs 3.1.4.

If you don't have ROMs 3.1.4 I think you have to start the installation of the OS using the Workbench 3.0 and then upgrade to 3.1.4 once you have set up the maprom function of your ACA card with the 3.1.4 ROM file.

I haven't done it so I can't say more, certainly someone else here in the forum will guide you in doing that if it is possible.
Old 01 February 2019, 20:30   #3
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Ok thank you :-)
Old 01 February 2019, 23:04   #4
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassicman View Post
As far as I know in order to install Amiga OS 3.1.4 you need the ROMs 3.1.4.
It is not correct, OS 3.1.4 can be installed with Kickstart 3.0/3.1, once you have installed the system to start it you need the Kickstart 3.1.4.

To install OS 3.1.4 it starts with the floppy named "Install3_1_4" (only bootable with Kickstart 3.0 / 3.1), arrived on the Workbench you format the Hardisk and start to install, during the setup will be required the other floppy

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 01 February 2019 at 23:15.
Old 02 February 2019, 12:31   #5
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
To install OS 3.1.4 it starts with the floppy named "Install3_1_4" (only bootable with Kickstart 3.0 / 3.1)
It's also bootable with Kickstart 3.1.4 of course...

If you have the ROMs, it makes sense to install them first (or soft-kick them) so that the up-to-date scsi.device drivers are already active when you start the install process. But it can be done either way around if you have an already working 3.0/3.1 hard drive setup.
Old 02 February 2019, 14:40   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
It's also bootable with Kickstart 3.1.4 of course...
This is obvious, but if one wants to upgrade to a pre-existing 3.0/3.1 basic system it can not boot the system with the new Kickstart 3.1.4 otherwise it will have errors (missing icon.library and workbench.library) and the Workbench will not be started.
Old 02 February 2019, 15:51   #7
duga

Quote:
This is obvious, but if one wants to upgrade to a pre-existing 3.0/3.1 basic system it can not boot the system with the new Kickstart 3.1.4 otherwise it will have errors (missing icon.library and workbench.library) and the Workbench will not be started.
...unless you boot from the 3.1.4 Install floppy disk.
Old 02 February 2019, 16:13   #8
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
...unless you boot from the 3.1.4 Install floppy disk.
Yes, but it's not strictly necessary, you can even solve it differently, just copy icon.library and workbench.library into OS 3.0 or OS 3.1
Old 02 February 2019, 17:53   #9
Daedalus

Quote:
And that is exactly why the install procedure is to boot from the Install floppy. That has the necessary libraries and will load Workbench and let you upgrade your existing 3.0 or 3.1 installation, and will work regardless of what versions of system files you have on your hard drive that might otherwise interfere with the installation.
Old 02 February 2019, 18:18   #10
AMIGASYSTEM

OK, but there are users who can not use the 3.1.4 ROM (neither physical nor on file) because they can not be used.
OS 3.1.4 it can also be used in a partial way even without using the Rom 3.1.4.
I updated my AFA-OS 3.9BB4 with OS 3.1.4 without using the 3.1.4 ROM and file OS 3.1.4, otherwise I would have regressed my system, see icon.library which does not allow to manage OS4 and Dual-PNG icons from some applications, Intuition.library that moves windows only on two sides but also other restrictions with respect to PowerWindows, IPrefs OS 3.1.4 which does not handle wallpapers adaptation (WBPattern) and much more, HERE as you have already read, i mentioned some incongruity found between 3.9 and 3.14.
Old 02 February 2019, 20:49   #11
Daedalus

And I'm still puzzled as to why you think random parts from two different releases should be guaranteed to work with each other. You're always taking your particular use cases as the standard case, but in reality that's not at all true.
Old 02 February 2019, 21:02   #12
AMIGASYSTEM

From a new system one expects something more modern, and indeed something good and modern is in OS 3.1.4.
There is nothing wrong with talking and experiencing so that people are more informed and clarity, not everyone has your or my experience e they risk confusion, the request made initially in this discussion and in others prove it.
Old 02 February 2019, 21:37   #13
Daedalus

Yes, absolutely. And that's why I find it so strange that you keep on making things more complicated than they need to be for other users. There's a standard method for installing 3.1.4, and saying ambiguous things like it only booting with KS 3.0 or 3.1 only complicates things.
Quote:
To install OS 3.1.4 it starts with the floppy named "Install3_1_4" (only bootable with Kickstart 3.0 / 3.1)
Taken on its own, that statement is quite wrong, and is sure to be misleading at best. Even if the user follows a non-standard installation method and ends up with the library error requesters, simply inserting the Install disk is enough to get the system booting, and then the installation script can be run without manually copying any libraries anywhere.

And just to avoid some further potential confusion, the disk is only called Install3_1_4 if you're dealing with the ADF images. If you have the floppy disk version, it's labelled Install.
Old 02 February 2019, 21:48   #14
AMIGASYSTEM

Dear Friend, Daedalus, unfortunately, the translation does not help, I have never said that OS3.1.4 must be installed with Kickstart 3.0/3.1, i said that "you can also" install with 3.0/3.1.

About "To install OS 3.1.4 it starts with the floppy named "Install3_1_4" (only bootable with Kickstart 3.0/3.1)" even here you misunderstood, meant that "install OS 3.1.4" is the only bootable disk with 3.0/3.1 (includes the necessary libraries), for example the Workbench 3.1.4 can not boot with Kickstart 3.0/3.1 for the problems mentioned above
Old 02 February 2019, 23:18   #15
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

I already prepared the floppy disks for the installation, and I have a working 3.0 (or 3.1?) on my SD Card.

Can you tell me of to setup soft-kick please? I neved did that in the past! Thank you...
Old 02 February 2019, 23:28   #16
AMIGASYSTEM

I advise you to install a clean system and use WinUAE, everything will be easier and faster.
Old 03 February 2019, 00:09   #17
Daedalus

Quote:
About "To install OS 3.1.4 it starts with the floppy named "Install3_1_4" (only bootable with Kickstart 3.0/3.1)" even here you misunderstood,
And perhaps you can see why it can easily be misunderstood. When you have "(only bootable with Kickstart 3.0/3.1)" directly after "Install3_1_4", it means that Install3_1_4 is only bootable with Kickstart 3.0 or 3.1. Which is obviously not true. You should take some more care when constructing your sentences to be sure they mean what you think they mean.
Old 03 February 2019, 00:19   #18
AMIGASYSTEM

Daedalus we are saying the same things, the problem is not that I explain badly, but it is the translation by Google Translator that distorts the sentences, probably once again you did not understand what I wrote, we had the same problem on another discussion, maybe if here there was someone who knows Italian and English could finally clarify.
Old 03 February 2019, 00:50   #19
UberFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazinKaesar View Post
Can you tell me of to setup soft-kick please? I neved did that in the past! Thank you...
Didn't your card come with a manual ?
Read here:
https://www.vesalia.de/files/ACA1230_manual_E.pdf

You'll need to download and use the ACATune utility to activate MAPROM.
Old 03 February 2019, 13:57   #20
daxb

Quote:
but it is the translation by Google Translator that distorts the sentences
Try a better translation tool. But you still need to check the translation for errors.